Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2464 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2011 11:19 AM by jeljohns
ValGal0823 Amateur 10 posts since
Mar 31, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 25, 2011 9:52 AM

What's your diet and exercise routine look like?

I'm just curious to know what your diet looks like.

What calorie range do you fall in and how much protein and carbs are you taking in?

I average about 20 miles of running a week upward to 25 some weeks. I can increase this. I also do weight lifting 3 or 4 days a week for about 1 1/2 hours each session. I love eating healthy. My vices are gummy bears and frozen yogurt with sprinkles...mmmm mmm. Yogurtland is my nemisis but I love to indulge once in a while.

I'm 5'2", 113lbs. Active. I have no real goals to gain or lose weight. Just maintain and maybe get more toned.

***I am not looking for you to tell ME what to eat. Perhaps I need to increae my caloric intake but aside from that, I would just love it if you all wanted to share your nutrition/meal plans, your daily calorie intake especially for your long runs and fav dishes! I love to cook and I'm always looking for ways to make recipes healthier and more flavorful!

My Favorite Quick Morning Meal

Trader Joe's Maple and Brown Sugar Naturally Flavored Instant Oatmeal made with Whole Grain Oats mixed with 1 tablespoon of Trader Joe's Creamy Peanut Butter. Some think this is an odd combination but it is DELICIOUS!!!!

Oatmeal                                        Peanut Butter.

Calories 160                                   Calories 85                ------>245calories

Fat 2g                                            Fat 9g                       ------> 11 g (2g of sat fat)

Sodium 240mg                               Sodium 130mg          ------->370mg

Carbs 32g                                      Carbs 7g                   ------->39g

Dietary Fiber 3g

Soluble Fiber 1g

Sugar 13g

Protein 4g                                      Protein 8g                -------->12g

Please do share!

ValGal

• Angelique Simpson Pro 92 posts since
    Mar 24, 2009
    1. Jul 26, 2011 11:45 AM (in response to ValGal0823)
    Re: What's your diet and exercise routine look like?

I'm 5'6", 132lbs and active. My standard calorie range is 1800-2400 depending on how much I exercise on that day, but usually I try to stay right around 2000 calories on average. I run 3 times a week, bike 2-3 times a week and then throw in some strength training, rock climbing and yoga whenever I have the time. On mornings before a long run (1.5 hours or more) I will do some sort of oatmeal with protein recipe. I have two standards that I like the first is just 1/2c oatmeal cooked in the microwave for 2 min with 1c water, then after I mix in one scoop of protein powder and about 1/2c soy milk. My second is 1/2c oatmeal with 1/2-2/3c egg beaters, mix together and throw in a little cinnamon... heat up a small non-stick skillet, spray with cooking spray and then cook like a big pancake, I like to top it with sugar free syrup. Both are a good mix of protein and carbs and keep me going on my long runs and are both about 300 calories, 30g carbs, 30g prot and about 5g fat. On short run mornings I usually just have a cup of coffee to wake myself up and then hit the road. On days where I run/workout in the evenings I will usually do some sort of protein shake after my workout, along with a banana or some Gatorade. I find that if I don't incorporate protein powder or the egg beaters I tend to not hit the mark on my protein. I like to stick with 25% fat, 25% protein and 50% carbs, as a general rule anyway. I don't always follow it exactly, but that is usually my goal... and without the protein powder or egg beaters I usually do not hit that 25% protein.

~Angelique

------------------------------------------

http://acupofrunning.blogspot.com/

Race History
    5K - Apr 2009: 39:00
    5K - Jun 2009: 36:55
    5K - Sep 2009: 34:06
    10K - Oct 2009: 1:13:45
    5K - Nov 2009: 34:23
    5K - Feb 2010: 32:28
    Half Marathon - Apr 2010: 2:39:06
    5K - May 2010: 29:49
    10K - Jun 2010: 1:01:48

5K - Aug 2010: 27:57

Half Marathon - Oct 2010: 2:12:18

10K - Nov 2010: 52:44 (PR)

5K - Feb 2011: 23:45

Half Marathon - Apr 2011: 1:49:18

Marathon - May 2011: 3:56:05

Half Marathon - Oct 2011: 1:49:14 (PR)

5K - Nov 2011: 22:20 (PR)

Marathon - Dec 2011: 3:41:42 (PR)

• ron6788 Pro 74 posts since
    Oct 2, 2010
    2. Jul 30, 2011 7:45 PM (in response to ValGal0823)

Usually, I'll have a coffee 1-2 hrs before a workout or race (and hopefully visit the John before heading out), then a banana 1/2 hr before, and then an energy gel a few minutes before.  During my workouts, even long ones, I'll just have gels and liquids (and electrolyte pills as needed).  If I'm going to do an all-day trail run then I'll also bring one or two fruit, some soy nuts or seeds, and maybe a few crackers.  Just enough stuff to keep going not intending to actually eat to satisfy hunger.  When I'm done, I'll have a Gatorade Recover drink.  This is because it's often an hour or more before I'll get to eat a meal.

Two of my favorite foods are toasted bagels with low-fat margarine and green salad with lots of other low-fat salad fixings mixed in.  If I don't eat this everyday, then every other day.  For protein, I'll generally eat beans from the can, tuna fish, or low-fat canned chili.  Sometimes, chicken.  My diet's been keeping me happy for some time now.  I do need to make multiple trips to the supermarket each week to keep up with having fresh bagels, veggies, and fruit.

I'm 5'10", male, 152 lbs, and consume about 3,000 cals a day.

Battle of Brooklyn 10 mi, Brooklyn, NY.................................................1:26

Yonkers' Marathon, Yonkers, NY.......................................................:..4:08

Blues Cruise 50k, Leesport, PA.............................................................6:23

• Joseph Tree Legend 378 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    3. Jul 31, 2011 6:33 AM (in response to ValGal0823)

I have no idea about my caloric intake.  I'm sort of low tech and not too interested in details to that extent.  That said, breakfast is either oatmeal (~cup) with fresh fruit cut into it and maybe 1/2 cup of yogurt and a couple Tsp of chia seed....or oatmeal , chia, and a Tsp of really good miso (like South River).  It might not sound good but to me it's just luxury.  For the rest of the day it's all leaning toward veg and fresh good foods and very low fat.  My body makes cholesterol very efficiently and I try to keep my number down under 150.  I started running last year at 54 years old and didn't change weight a bit until 3 months ago when I started watching the fat very closely.  No more half and half in my coffee!  Very little icecream with the kids,  I don't buy cheese anymore either.  Since I started watching I've dropped 15 lb. from 195.  I only run 20 to 25 / week and don't do anything else but try to keep up with my 3 kids and work.   For that matter, work can be good exercise for me as I climb trees for a living a couple days a week these days.

My sense of this whole eating business is that if one pays good attention to what goes in, strives for quality, and eats well to give the body wonderful fuel, the weight will take care of itself.

Eat well and run well all!

Barefoot / Minimalist Runner

...not maintaining this these days..

07/29/2012 Marsh Creek Raptor Run 10 Mile Trail Race

07/15/2012 Quadzilla 15K Trail Run, Trexlertown, PA 1:37 (2011, 1:49)

04/29/2012 Lehigh Valley / St. Luke's HM, 1:43:15 (2011, 1:54:20 )

03/19/2012 Kutztown Fool's Run 10 Miler, 1:18:15 (2011, 1:30:20)

02/26/2012 Ugly Mudder 7.2 Mile Trail Run, Reading, PA 1:20

11/27/2011 Dirty Bird 15K Trail Run, Birdsboro, PA 1:40

10/08/2011 Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K Trail Run (6.38 miles), 59:20 (10/07/2012)

Started running (again) May 5, 2010

• JasonFitz1 Legend 574 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009

Here's my typical day:

Breakfast: whey protein shake with whole milk, 2 scrambled eggs with leftover mixed vegetables.

Snack1: handful or two of mixed nuts with a piece of fruit.

Lunch: mixed veggies, chicken/beef in a wrap + yogurt.

Snack2: piece of fruit

Dinner: sauteed peppers and onions, corn on the cob, cheeseburger on a bun (or sausage/chicken breast)

Dessert: bowl of ice cream/cookies/bowl of cereal

I run 60-80 miles a week so while this may look like a lot (the portions are usually pretty big), I exercise a lot.

Cheers,

- Jason.

Strength Running
  • jeljohns Pro 106 posts since
    Jan 4, 2011
    5. Aug 8, 2011 11:19 AM (in response to ValGal0823)

I don't count calories either. I eat a whole foods based vegan diet. I include a fruit or veggie in every meal and try not to base all my meals around fake meats or processed soy.

Right now I'm running 3 days per week, but want to bump that up to 4 (just having trouble finding the time).

Typical day:

Breakfast: Buckwheat cereal w/ almond milk, walnuts, and 1/2 banana. Buckwheat has protein and carbs, walnuts my fat, banana for the fruit quota.

Lunch: Big huge salad. Spinach, chickpeas, carrots, cucumber, tomato, mushrooms, vegan homemade dressing. A piece of fruit (apple or peach usually).

Snack: Carrot sticks with almond butter

Dinner: Usually some sort of Indian, Thai, or stiry fry. Usually centered around veggies with beans or tofu for my protein.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...