Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

974 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 24, 2011 11:27 AM by momentarily enchanted
momentarily enchanted Rookie 4 posts since
Jul 10, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 27, 2011 11:22 AM

USGF 2011 World Series - Jackson, TN

Just some observations I made while at the USGF 2011 World Series in Jackson, TN

1. Weekend tournament spread out over 5 days.

2. Supposed mandatory parade not mandatory for a select few.

3. Saddened watching girls whose gift bag exchange partners didn't show up trying to find someone with which to exchange.

4. Looking at pool play and noticing many teams were set up for failure from the very beginning.  Oddly, was able to figure out the preferred teams in several age groups.

5. Paying $9 for one pool game.  The math was fantastic....$35 for a tournament pass (4 days) would save a whopping $1 if you actually went all 4 but would cost an extra $8 if your team was out after 3.  High level ciphering....I would think a real World Series wouldn't charge gate given the opportunity afforded them with extra merchandise etc.(Panama)

6. Start of bracket play on cast off fields (read Pope Park).  Nothing quite like girls playing on non-regulation fields (185 ft) during a World Series.  Was curious why younger age groups didn't play on shorter fields even though the radius is 200 ft minimum for all age groups.

7. Teams began arriving at 8 a.m. at Pope Park but the concession stand didn't open until 10 a.m. and that only happened after a parent called the Sportsplex.

8. When on woman asked to buy ice (like the bags the sportsplex sells) to keep her daugher's frog togg cold she was asked by the concession worker if she was getting an attitude with her.  She ended up paying 50 cents for an approximate 8 oz cup, which isn't enough.

9. Expecting "like" services from Pope Park concession stand and only getting hamburgers, hotdogs, french fries and hot drinks.

10. Shocked by the audacity of the USGF staff that they would expect girls to stride out onto a pitching rubber at 35 feet when pitching from 40 feet.  This is dangerous and could cause someone to hurt herself.

11. Shocked at the attitude of the person in charge of Pope when asked to dig up said pitching rubbers. (Took the ground crew 10 minutes)

12. I don't know about you but I just love watching umpires make one sided calls and bad calls in order to end a game so it doesn't go into extra innings.  That's what it's all about-the umpires right? Oh wait....isn't it about the girls and their skills?

13.  Umpires with agendas should be banned.

14. Overall- underwhelmed and ultimately angered by the entire set up. 

I would like to urge anyone that reads this to add his/her thoughts and please, please, please play USFA, USSSA or ASA and send a message.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...