Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2765 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2011 5:24 AM by Kristy in NC RSS
jestratman Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 27, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 27, 2011 9:14 PM

Weight loss and running

I am 5'3'' 135 lbs.  I am training for my first marathon in Oct. I feel like I am eating right and am running 30-35 miles/week, as of right now. However, I can't seem to slim down at all.  I think if I could lose a little bit of weight it would help me with my time and endurance.  Any suggestions on a nurtion plan for runners that helps you lose weight?  I am also doing boot camp this month hoping to speed up the process of weight reduciton. 

• Michael Prodromos Rookie 5 posts since
    May 18, 2009
    1. Aug 4, 2011 4:07 PM (in response to jestratman)
    Re: Weight loss and running

That is a very tough question,

I am sure there are people that can provide great nutritional advice on these forums, but you will need to be more specific about what you eat, when, and when you run.

In terms of your weekly mileage, it seems low. Up until the race, always taking the last week off though, I ran 60-75 miles a week for a marathon. If you get your mileage up, you will for sure burn more calories.

The Boot camp will be good though, as it is cardio combined with muscle building through low weight, high repetition.

Good luck with your race!

-Mike

• ManikSona Expert 55 posts since
    Aug 11, 2011
    2. Aug 12, 2011 1:34 PM (in response to jestratman)

Right now you are probably putting on more muscle, which weighs more.  You could try to take in less calories, but don't reduce too much or your body will go after muscle instead of fat.  If this is your first marathon you probably should just enjoy it and not worry about time, but I can understand wanting to slim down as well.  Good luck!

Manik Runner - Training for a Marathon

• raf66 Expert 49 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008
    3. Aug 18, 2011 6:12 AM (in response to jestratman)

That's a decent base of weekly running, so the fact that you're not losing weight must be a symptom of something else, such as diet.  I've come to realize that exercise alone typically won't yield dramatic weight-loss goals, nor will dieting alone.  The best (and most healthy) way to achieve that goal is diet and exercise.

Go back and analyze your caloric intake on a daily basis.  Keep a journal/log for a week or two so you can have a decent picture of exactly what you're taking into your body every day.  The general rule is that in order to lose one pound you must take in 3,500 calories less than you burn off.  Many will tell you that 1.5-2 lbs. per week (5,250-7,000 calorie deficit) is a healthy weight loss.  That doesn't sound like a lot, but it adds up over the course of weeks.  I'm guessing you're in it for the longhaul rather than a short-term fix, so even over the span of eight weeks you could lose 10-15 lbs. in a healthy way.  You don't sound like you're overweight at all from the description you gave, but I'm sure losing a bit of weight will help your joints/muscles.

Remember, too, that your body may just be at its best, most balanced and healthy weight now.  There's a definite point that each of us has where our body simply finds its most comfortable, healthy weight, and significant drops in weight from that point may require more drastic (read "unhealthy") means to achieve your goals.  That's usually not recommended.

Good luck with attaining your goals.  

• RNDROB Rookie 5 posts since
    Sep 19, 2011
    4. Sep 21, 2011 3:07 PM (in response to jestratman)
    Weight loss and running

It’s all simple math Calories in minus calories burned. There are some great programs out there for tracking both calories burned and calories consumed. I use one called fatsecret.com. When you set it up you enter weight, age, height… and then start logging all the foods you eat and work outs. It is easy to select the foods and if you have a smart phone with a camera you can even use it to scan bar codes. One of the things I really like about it is that it syncs my pc to phone automatically.  By continuously knowing where you are in a day or a week it makes it real easy to decide if you want to eat something or not, I make much better food choices now knowing that I have to enter it in. I shoot for a 500-600 calorie a day deficit and it works so well that I can tell how much weight I lost at the end of the week before I get on the scale just by adding up the deficit (3500 calories= 1LB).

• rhonda rhonda Amateur 10 posts since
    Sep 14, 2011
    5. Oct 15, 2011 10:42 AM (in response to jestratman)
    Weight loss and running

When you say you can't slim down, are you talking about the scale or your waist measurement?

As pointed out earlier, muscle weighs more than fat. If your weight isn't changing but your waist measurement is decreasing, then you're losing fat and there's no need to worry about the scale.

If neither are changing, then you may need some combination of more workout or less/different food. Not knowing anything about your eating habits I don't think anyone can say any more than that.

I've found that for a given workout/diet habit lifestyle, your body has a stable weight. Exactly what that weight is depends on the person; two people with identical diet and workout habits will have different stable weights. That's no big deal. All it means is that if you want your weight to change, you have to change your habit/lifestyle and your body will find a new stable weight for as long as you maintain the habit.

I've never actively set out to lose weight (although I have actively set out to get in better shape), but each time something in my lifestyle changed, my weight changed with it. When I went to university and my only exercise was two 20-min bike rides each day with no hills, my weight went up to a solid 20lbs over my ideal and stabilized there for a couple of years - as long as I was in school and had those school habits. When I reduced the meat and increased the veggies in my diet (which I did for $$ reasons) I lost 5lbs over the first few months. When I started running, I lost another 5lbs over the first few months.

• Kristy in NC Pro 134 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    6. Nov 6, 2011 5:24 AM (in response to jestratman)
    Weight loss and running

Try checking out myfitnesspal.com   You can input your weight, activity level and goal weight along with current weight.  It will give you base calories to eat per day.  You can then track everything you eat along with adding your excercise for a daily tally.  It helps me be aware of where I am on a daily basis with my intake.  BTW - it's free.  Also, running 40 minutes at a pace of a 12mm burns around 350 calories.  I can eat that back with one snack!

One thing to be aware of, if you cut your calories too drastically your body will go into starvation mode which slows your metabolism and works against you. 

Kristy in NC

3/12/11 - St. Patricks Day 5K - First 5K - 43 min

7/4/11 - Peachtree Road Race - 1hr 30 min

9/2/11 - BB&T Sunset 5K - 40:48

10/22/11 - Rocktoberfest 5K - 38:53

11/5/11 - CommYOUnity 5K - 37:22

11/24/11 - Butterball 5K - 37:03

3/25/12 - Charlotte Motor Speedway 5K - 34:21

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points