Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

936 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2011 10:59 AM by Urbster RSS
Urbster Legend 760 posts since
May 27, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 28, 2011 9:30 PM

Rest Run?

I started doing Halfs and I want to keep the mileage up to 20+ a week.   There are at least 2 5k's each week over the summer I sooo want to do them all.  If I do a rest day prior to the race I run faster and feel good but I heard you should take the day after a race off.... that makes hitting 20+ a week much harder.   So  do I have to take a rest day the day after a race?  Or can I run a much slower pace the next day.  Also I am sooo injury prone when I over-run so if I should rest I will.
  • PaquetRunning Amateur 17 posts since
    Jul 24, 2011
    1. Jul 29, 2011 2:28 AM (in response to Urbster)
    Re: Rest Run?

You should definitely take a rest day BEFORE and AFTER your Race day. The reason is simple, people doing a little run the day before the race day are often doing so the chase the anxiety. If you are not too nervous before the race, just take the day off. The day after should be OFF since the pace you run during a race is harder than during trainings for various reasons such as people around, other competitors, the fact it is a race.. etc. Your body will be much more tired after a Half marathon Race than (for example) after a Half marathon training.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Jul 29, 2011 5:14 AM (in response to PaquetRunning)

You should treat your race as a hard day, you can run the next day as long as it is a easy/recovery run.  You may want to run some of the 5Ks as tempo runs and not 100%.  Good luck.

• JasonFitz1 Legend 572 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    3. Jul 29, 2011 10:22 AM (in response to Urbster)

This is an extremely loaded question. It depends on how many days you're running and what exactly "20+" means.

Are you racing two 5k's every week? If so, I'd say stop! You shouldn't race more than every 2-3 weeks, or longer if you're a beginner. You can race often and bounce back the more experienced you are. When I ran in college we'd race every weekend and run 7 days a week, often over 80 miles/week. Your training is very different, but two races a week is far too many.

If you're just doing them as fun runs or at your typical running pace, then you don't need to rest before and after. If it's a standard pace for you, then no rest is necessary aside from your normal weekly recovery days.

Active recovery is always best, like pool running or cycling, if you're really sore. You also mentioned that you're very injury-prone - do you do any strength/flexibility work?

Good luck!
    - Jason.

Strength Running

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...