Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

7834 Views 37 Replies Latest reply: Jan 15, 2009 4:16 AM by mstrang 1 2 3 Previous Next
twosport Amateur 28 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 29, 2007 1:57 PM

Can't Lose Any $@#& Weight

Despite an apple for breakfast, a single turkey sandwich for lunch and anywhere from 500 to 1500 calories for dinner, running 9 to 12 miles a week, lots of pushups and situps each week, I can't drop a pound! I've been doing this for a couple of years. Do I need to eat more, eat more often, less at dinner............or is my weight problem just in my genes?

• Beerpace Pro 157 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. May 29, 2007 5:03 PM (in response to twosport)
    Re: Can't Lose Any $@#& Weight

What is your weight? Height? better yet: body fat percentage? Do you even have weight to lose? Inquiring minds want to know...

• yo-sal Pro 260 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. May 30, 2007 1:15 PM (in response to twosport)

What sports drinks are you using?

Jul 9, 2007
    5. May 31, 2007 6:42 AM (in response to twosport)

that's where i was going with that - lots of people don't realize how much sugar they take in when they have a habit of drinking sports bevs, Dr Pepper, Mountain Dew.  Or hit on Starbucks for a 700 cal bastardized version of coffee.

Is there a nutritionist you could visit? Like at a wellness center? It's hard to help without going into extreme detail.

• krisatl Pro 93 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Jun 1, 2007 7:04 AM (in response to twosport)

Maybe you should spread your calories out more. Add some protien to your breakfast (eggbeaters are low calorie and quick to make) Add some healthy snacks in the mid afternoon, and try to eat a smaller dinner.

On the days where you eat only 500 calorie dinner are you only consuming like 1000 calories for the day? That is too low. YOur body will go into starvation mode and  you won't lose any wieght.

If a nutritionist isn't an option try finding a book to help with your dietary needs.

Good luck, It SUCKS working hard and not being able to shed those last few pounds.

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    7. Jun 1, 2007 9:48 AM (in response to twosport)

You certainly need to eat a larger breakfast in order to get your metabolism going each morning.  Think of it as fueling your fire.  The push-ups and sit-ups are good since muscle mass increases your metabolism, but I really think you need to try and at least double your aerobic workouts.  9-12 miles per week just isn't enough.

Jul 9, 2007
    8. Jun 1, 2007 11:07 AM (in response to twosport)

It looks like you're taking in 1000 to 2000 cal per day, for a couple of years while regularly exercising -  good, calorie burners too. You should be losing the weight you want. I'm hoping you've ruled out thyroid problems, diabetes, and drugs that cause weight gain. Maybe it's genetic, but lets consider one more thing:

There are a lot "unconscious calories" that we consume. For instance, a "snack pak" of KFC or a "small sandwich" to hold us over til the next meal. A while back, a women was showing me her new house, and every time we passed through the kitchen, she grabbed a couple Oreos. Til the whole pack was gone. I bet she had no idea who ate them.

That's where counseling with a nutritionist helps. They ask the hard questions, like, do you carry candy bars in your purse or have them in your desk?  When you carefully go over the whole day, you can often find where those unconscious calories are causing problems. We all do it, to some extent.

If you write down everything you eat, just for a day or two, it'll show you if this is something you weren't aware of.

• rungirl31 Amateur 20 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    9. Jun 6, 2007 3:04 PM (in response to twosport)

Check with your nutritonist.  I have a good friend who was in the same dilema as you.  She lost a lot of weight through diet/exercise but got to a point where no matter what she did she just could not lose anymore.  What she found out was that her body needed a minimum of 1200 calories a day to function.  Most days she was consuming only around 900 calories.  Her body was in '"starvation" mode....which made her store ANY/ALL calories she consumed as fat.  She increased her muscle mass and increased her caloric intake and the weight has started coming off again!!!

Jul 9, 2007
    10. Jun 7, 2007 7:11 AM (in response to twosport)

1200 cals/d is the standard amount that nutritionists will assign as a baseline need for calories. It's textbook style. However -

The need for calories for metabolic functions are immediate. There's no physiologic reason to store fat for the future considering that you need the calories to keep breathing, keep your heart beating, maintain body temp.  If she ate fewer calories than needed, she would lose weight. 1200 - 900 = 300 deficit per day.  But if her BMR is 800, then ...

I totally agree about seeing a nutiritonist. They can set up a plan of keeping a food diary and will follow up on questions like, when you got iced tea, what size was it? Was it sweetened? How many packs of sugar did you add?   Show me how much mayonnaise you put on your sandwich.

It's worth it because you learn so much about the routine and unconscious things you do when you eat. And an exercise plan that builds muscles and cardio is a win/win formula.

• seerate Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    11. Jun 9, 2007 8:39 PM (in response to twosport)

Sounds like everyone has covered the calorie issues... here is some additional food for thought... I spent about a year running every night for about 20-25 minutes and I couldn't figure out why I was toned, but still fat and hadn't lost weight.  I started reading and figured out that in order to burn off that stubborn fat, I needed to exercise longer.  Apparently, your body burns more carbs then fat at first and then later in your workout, it begins to burn more fat than carbs.  Now, I am no nutritionist, so I can't vouch for the physics of this philosophy, but one thing is for sure... I slowed down my run and extended my runs to 45-55 minutes and the weight started falling off.  I also found that if I threw in some interval training (brief spurts of 3-4 minutes at a faster pace) intermittently spaced in the routine, the pounds just shedded off of me.  Years and years later, whenever I get out of shape, I repeat the philosophy and it continues to serve me well.  Good luck!

Jul 9, 2007
    12. Jun 10, 2007 7:11 PM (in response to twosport)

seerate, that is ingenious. You are absolutely right. A slow run equals a slow burn of fat. And running long and slow is so relaxing. Good call.

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...