Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3517 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Aug 3, 2011 12:36 PM by CoolGram 1 2 Previous Next
GoAllieGo Rookie 7 posts since
Aug 1, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 1, 2011 8:29 AM

Virtual Running Buddy for GREEN & Older Newbie??? Pretty please?

Hello - I'm 47 years old and have been on my fitness/health/weight loss journey since 2003.  I'm in the middle of the Supreme 90 Day program right now plus my other usual activities: cycling, treadmill, elliptical, weights, etc.  I'm not a newbie to exercising but I am REALLY new to running and hoping someone out there will want to join me "virtually" and do this Couch to 5k with me?  I've just completed week 1 and I can tell you right now I will be stretching it out a little more.  I jog, don't really run yet, and my joints, muscles, legs, etc...I'm just not willing to risk injury so I'm taking it very slow.  But I want a running "buddy" or friend or something.  There's no one here who wants to do this with me in person.  I just stumbled upon this forum when I printed off the Couch to 5K program pages.  I would love to connect with someone and support each other thru this.  I hope to jog/run my very first 5k in October.  Anyone???

• CoolGram Amateur 8 posts since
    Aug 1, 2011

Hi Allie! Your plan sounds wonderful! I and two days into the program. I have never run before in my life but I already agree with the stretching prior to starting. I have already come to the conclusion that I am going to repeat week one next week. I have gained a lot of weight (we will leave it at that) but I am super motivated as my Grandaughter is now crawling around and I am having issues just picking her up and keeping up in general!

My goal is mostly to lose weight but my daughter has been asking me to do 5K's with her and I'm hoping by me staying on the program will encourage her to continue!.

I look forward to sharing the experience with her but would love a virtual partner! I am trying to be realistic and not set unreasonable goals which seems to be my downfall in every exercise program. I have already decided that thuis will need time and focus!

What else can I do to support your cause?

Looking forward to keeping in touch!

Optimus Prime: Sometimes even the wisest of man or machine can make an error.

CoolGram

• Sioux0707 Rookie 7 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

Hi Allie,

I could "virtually" run with you.  I'm 42, had been power walking every day for the past 2 years.  I signed up for a 5K--this was about 2 months ago.  I hadn't run since high school, so 25 years, at least.  When I first started training for the 5K, I couldn't run any more than a few yards!  I thought I was relatively in shape since I'd been power walking for 2 years, but I learned that power walking and running are 2 entirely different things!  I had a few setbacks.  One Sunday I went out with this idea of doing a long, slow run.  I did about a quarter mile and my body said, "Oh, no, we're not doing this today.  I QUIT!"  So I did a quarter of a mile and couldn't push myself anymore.  I got so mad, threw down my iPod and said "Forget it!"  Anyway, to make a long story short, I was finally able to run 3 miles without stopping last week.  My race is this Sunday, so I made it in time.  I'm signed up for another race in September and will do another one in October.  Honestly, I played around with my own personal training plan and found that to be the most effective.  I tried to follow a published plan, but they seemed to go a little too fast for me, honestly.  I ended up cobbling together parts of a few different plans, but what it essentially boiled down to for me was interval training.  Walk until you're bored, then run until you're tired, and then walk again till you're bored, run until you're tired.  By tired, when you're running and you're feeling like you're getting to the point where you're outside your comfort zone, stop and walk.  I did that 3 days a week--M,W,F.  On Tuesdays, I did stair climbing as cross training.  On Thursdays, I power walked.  I took Saturday and Sundays off.  I'm doing 3 miles in about 35 minutes, so I'm slow, but I don't care.  The important thisng is I got there.  Oh, I had a major setback with my running shoes.  I ended up throwing them away because they will giving me knee pain, shin splints, back pain, you name it!  I also read a book called "Born to Run" and it was probably one of the best books I've ever read.  That inspired me a lot.  I would highly recommend it.  Let's stay in touch and since I just finished a Couch to 5K program, I can help you through it.  And you can motivate me to keep going and keep doing 5K's.  Where are you located?  

Jun 8, 2011

CoolGram, you'll drop a lot of weight if you do interval training.  Walk until you're bored, run until you're tired and do that combination of running/walking for 3 miles.  Eventually, you'll be able to run more and find yourself walking less and less.  But speeding your heart rate up while running and slowing it down while you're walking will trigger a lot of weight loss.

Jun 8, 2011

I'm in northern California--Monterey area.  I thought only California had flakes, but it looks like they're all over the country.  People telling you they're interested in training with you and not following through sounds flaky to me.  Good for you for going after this by yourself.  I hope your husband's heath is stable.  Yes, there's a huge difference between power walking and running. Totally different muscle groups, I think. If you have running shoes with cushioned heels, those can injure you because they force you to land on your heel when you run.  I learned all this after I read Born to Run, which talks in part about the danger of the cushioned heels.  Then I realized my shoes were why I had shin splints and knee pain.  I chucked my running shoes and bought a $20 pair of really thin heeled shoes with no support and I love them!  No more pain.  They force me to run on the balls of my feet and not the heel, which is apparently how the human foot was designed to run.  I've been reading about barefoot running, and I'm trying utilize barefoot running techniques, but in shoes.  I can't bring myself to run barefoot on pavement.  Ouch!

I'm open to communicating whatever way works for you.  Email is fine, texting is fine.  I'm not on any of the social networking sites, though, so that wouldn't work.

So what plan are you following?

Aug 1, 2011

@ Aliie and Sioux707 .....  I'm in!!!!! I'm in Raleigh North Carolina. I started the C25k on Sunday as I said so very new too! My problem is self control. I push myself beyond my limit and get discouraged. I'm taking this slow but I am going steady. I walk every morning now with my dog. We are up and out by 6:00 Am. I have found since starting the program... I've had some pain in my gluteus maximus, gluteus medius, and piriformis muscles. I did find a blog that mentioned rolling out before your run. I have to admint I forgot about this method of stretching! (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&biw=1451&bih=748&q=foam+roller+exercises&rlz=1W1GGLL_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=11794006145362910512&sa=X&ei=l4M4TtfoKYXl0QGT9uHNAw&ved=0CC0Q8wIwAg) if you're not familiar with this see the link. My chiropractor had me doing these exercises to loosen these muscles. It can be a painful start if you do opt to do this but remember. you have control over the pressure you apply. I would reccommend you go easy at first becasue you will feel it! There's some good info on http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/flexibilityandstretching/ss/FoamRoller.htm (http://www.fitter1.com/assets/pdf/foamroller_exercises.pdf) this was good too)and also youtube. I am probably going to do the first week for two weeks. I am struggling with some pain as I said but I'm hoping to work all that out.

I haven't committed to a race yet but once I get through the first couple of weeks I will be able to guage myself a little better.

I've heard mixed reviews on stretching before running. This was a good article http://www.damienhowellpt.com/pdf/stretch%20strengthen%20sequence.pdf.

I have full support of my family and friends but virtual support is going to be awesome!!!

I will try to keep updating as much as possible but I may miss a day here and there. Not on the work out but in writting!

Happy Running!!!

CoolGram

CoolGram

Aug 1, 2011

Thanks for the book reccommendation! Looks like you have been researching this for a while! I'm going to check that out. Please keep in touch! If you have the knowledge you could be teaching the newbies! I'm learning by research but you know the internet! Garbage in garbage out!

CoolGram

CoolGram

Jun 8, 2011

Allie, what running magazine did you subscribe to?  I've been eating up the newsletters that Active.com sends out, so I'd love another source on running.  Yes, the book I referred to is called Born to Run.  It is hands down one of the best books I've ever read in my life and I'm an avid reader.  The author was a newbie to running like we are and kept getting hurt.  So he went to the doctor and asked why he hurt so much, and the all the docs told him he couldn't run because he wasn't built right.  He didn't believe it and started researching how and why people run.  It's not a how-to book, but a book about different famous runners from all over the world, famous races etc.  If either of you like to read, this is a must read.  I learned so much!

When I started running a few months ago, I overdid it a lot, too.  I was in constant pain for about the first 3 weeks.  I finally scaled back and followed the simple advice of "walk until you're bored, run until you're tired."  Tired means just slightly outside of your comfort zone, so even if you COULD go a little further, don't.  Stop and walk.  I was doing about 3 miles combined running and walking 3 days a week till I got to running the whole 3 miles.

Today was my easy day.  I power walked a mile and a half.

Oh, I don't strectch before or after I run anymore.  I was, but it didn't work for me.  I do primarily strength training--weight training and pushups before I run.  That seems to have worked for me.

My first 5K is this weekend!  Woo hoo!  I'll keep you both posted on my time.  right now, I'm doing 3 miles in 40 minutes, so I'll be way at the back of the pack, and I don't care.  I just want to finish!

Aug 1, 2011

Remember remember your limits!!!!!! That seems to be a pit fall for both of us! We keep pushing and then that is what turns us off!

My avatar is Transformers because that is my plan in life right now to transform this body into a healthy one and set a good example for my grand daughter.

I'm trying to figure out if set can form a private group. I'm new to the site also so give me some time!

I'll figure it out!

CoolGram

Jun 8, 2011

Yes, it's by Christopher McDougall.  I'm so glad you're ordering it.  It's awesome!!!!  I think I'll look into Runner's World.  I could probably download it onto my Kindle.  Hope the dog is okay.  It's so stressful when pets get sick.  They're part of the family.  My cat's been sneezing the past few days and it freaked me out.

The weather here is very mild.  I live in Monterey, on the central coast and it's 65 degrees all year round.  So no heat waves and no snow storms.  It's nice so I can run outside year round.  But I grew up in the Midwest, so I'm used to heat waves and snow storms.  I miss them, actually.

Just got back from my lunch time run.  Did about 3.5 miles, but it was tough.  My legs were so tired and I kept thinking, "Oh, I wanna stop!"  But my stanima and endurance were fine.  I've found that the first mile is the hardest.  The whole first mile, I'm thinking, "Oh, my legs are getting tired."  But then I get into a zone, my mind goes elsewhere and then I can go and go.

Is it easier for you to switch to regular email?  It's kind of a pain logging into this site all the time to send messages.  My email is sioux0707@yahoo.com.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points