Skip navigation

5022 Views 36 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2007 6:45 PM by mlines109 RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
smonson Rookie 11 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 17, 2005 3:48 PM

Soy Protein vs Animal Protein

I've been reading up on the benefits of soy protein and have been thinking about making an adjustment from getting the majority of my protein from animal sources (eggs, milk, cheese, meat) to focusing on soy.  Any experiences/insights to share?

• hotskoz Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Jan 21, 2005 6:20 PM (in response to smonson)
    Re: Soy Protein vs Animal Protein

I SWITCHED TO A PLANT BASED DIET (INCLUDING SOY AND OTHER VEGETABLE PROTEIN) ABOUT 18 MONTHS AGO AND HAVE SEEN QUITE A DIFFERENCE.  ONE THING TO KEEP IN MIND WITH ANIMAL BASED PROTEIN SOURCES IS THAT MANY OF THEM ALSO CONTAIN URIC ACID WHICH YOUR BODY MUST DISPOSE OF. NOT TO MENTION THE CHOLESTEROL AND OTHER BYPRODUCTS WHICH ELEVATE THE CR-P LEVEL OF YOUR BLOOD AND CONTRIBUTE TO ARTERIAL BLOCKAGE AND JOINT IMFLAMMATION.  ADD TO THIS THE URIC ACID YOU ARE CREATING ON YOUR OWN  FROM MUSCLE DETERIORATION WHEN YOU EXCERCISE AND IT MAKES YOUR ELIMINATION SYSTEMS WORK OVERTIME AND DIMINISHES YOUR STAMINA.  I HAD A LOT OF JOINT PAIN WHEN CONSUMING ANIMAL PROTEIN. IT ALL WENT AWAY WHEN I CHANGED MY DIET TO A PLANT BASED DIET. I NO LONGER EAT FOOD FROM ANIMAL SOURCES BUT ANIMAL PRODUCTS (EXCLUDING DAIRY) CAN BE CONSUMED IN VERY SMALL QUANTITIES WITHOUT TOO MUCH NEGATIVE HEALTH EFFECT IF ONE CHOOSES.  IF ONE ALREADY HAS INFLAMMATION IN THEIR TISSUES A STRICT DIET MUST BE ADHERED TO UNTIL THE INFLAMMATION GOES AWAY.   I AM NEARLY 50 NOW AND CAN OUTLAST  PEOPLE MUCH YOUNGER THAN ME.  I RECENTLY HIKED 68 MILES OVER ABOUT 3 DAYS WITH A FORTY POUND PACK WITHOUT DIFFICULTY.  I DID NOT TRAIN FOR THE TRIP AND WHILE MY MUSCLES DID A LITTLE REBELLION AFTER THE FIRST 24 MILES MY STAMINA DID NOT WANE.  I WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ABLE TO DO THAT WHEN I CONSUMED LARGE QUANTITIES OF ANIMAL PROTEIN.

• NClark5 Rookie 8 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Feb 2, 2005 2:28 PM (in response to smonson)

Soy is a high quality protein. You can get all the amino acids (building blocks of protein) that you need from soy foods. If you have concerns about getting adequate protein, you might want to read my Sports Nutrition Guidebook (www.nancyclarkrd.com). It has a strong section on protein and the vegetarian athlete. Lisa Dorfman also wrote the Vegetarian Sports Nutrition Guide (amazon.com). The trick is to eat enough plant protein ... you need more than a 1/4 cake of tofu!

• ncaj77 Amateur 13 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Feb 3, 2005 5:47 PM (in response to smonson)

Soy and soy products block the absorption of calcium which can cause rickets in old age. Anyway meat eaters are healthier and live longer than vegetarians do. Animal amino acids are more easily absorb in the body. As long as you stick to a low fat diet and restrict your eating of red meat because of all the junk they pump into cattle you should be ok.

• coxwithane Pro 97 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Feb 20, 2005 1:28 PM (in response to smonson)

Everything in moderation, I say. My best friend is a vegetarian, but thank God she's not militant like those wackos at the PETA World HQ downtown (I live near Norfolk, VA). You can take anything to an extreme. I don't eat that much red meat, but I do eat chicken, fish, and I use Boca veggie burger products quite a bit. It's all good.

Amy

p.s. - You haven't lived until you've seen the Barnum & Bailey Circus do their animal parade from the train station all the way to the performance arena, right past PETA World HQ...hee.

• DEADOCMIKE Pro 129 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Apr 8, 2005 10:25 AM (in response to smonson)

As a physician, I must say to the 50 yo who only eats vegetable products and feels great this: congrats and keep it up. However, I feel I have to say this to his pseudo-scientific condemnation of animal products: baloney!

If being on a certain diet make you feel good and you get beneficial health effects, great. However, you need to get your physiology right.

If you are gonna eat red meat, make it lean and don't burn the crap out of it. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, and try to keep sugar to a minimum. If you are going to drink, moderation. If you want to eat cake, cookies, ice cream, get the good stuff and only eat a small amount.

I want to live a healthy life and feel good well into old age, but not at the expense of enjoying food, drink, and a little bit of sloth (reality tv is awful, but awfully addicting). Personally, I follow the Vincent Vega approach (from Pulp Fiction "But sausage tastes good, bacon tastes good"). Steak tastes good, have some, but not a ton. Eggs are really good, have a few.

• shamrockuscg Amateur 12 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Apr 9, 2005 7:25 PM (in response to smonson)

i am with you doc. i am a 21 year old trithlete . i eat extremely healthy. rarely ever do i eat red meat. i think the key to this is sugar. soda, candy, cakes, silly cereal, and everythign else FAKE just turns into fat, and messes you up. whole wheat, grain, good fat (yogurt cottage cheese)is the way to go. carbs are good, protein, go whey, "good fat" is a necessity. cut the sugar out, but remeber that you dont live forwver. enjoy life while it lasts. and if that is being fit, eat healthy, but if you needa cookie, eat it.

• jahoelz Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    7. May 16, 2005 6:17 PM (in response to smonson)

About one month ago I began to add a soy protein powder to my smoothies and have seen a big difference in my energy levels.  I call it Jessica's Berry Protein Smoothie.  The ingredients are as follows:

1 scoop Genisoy Vanilla Protein Powder (blends very well)

8 oz. FF milk or soymilk

4 oz yougurt

4 strawberries (Frozen)

1/4 c. blueberries (Frozen)

Just throw everything in a blender and thats it!  It's so simple and it tastes fantastic. I usually drink half of it following my workout and then the other half for the following day.  The nutrional info on this, for the whole blender full, is as follows: 375 cals, 0 fat, 61 grams carbs & 27 grams protein.  Enjoy!

• tri-sometimes Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    8. Jun 24, 2005 9:30 AM (in response to smonson)

Sorry for the gratuitous plug here, but I couldn't resist based on the topic.  Try SoyJoe, a high-performance coffee.  It's a unique way to get more soy protein from something most of us do anyway - drink coffee - and it's darn good.  But don't trust me...you can get a free sample at the website (soyjoe.net).  Third party tests show almost 4 grams of soy protein in a 6-oz serving.  As a side benefit, the soy reduces the acidity of coffee so your coffee habit is not leaching other important minerals out of the body.

Anyway...something to consider. 

Even better...it doesn't preclude eating a little red meat here and there!

• DEADOCMIKE Pro 129 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    9. Jun 27, 2005 1:19 PM (in response to smonson)

I am going to give that Soy-coffee stuff a go, but I have to add "the soy reduces the acidity of coffee so your coffee habit is not leaching other important minerals out of the body." sounds like pseudo-scientific crap. Can anyone prove that that statement is true, or even physiologically possible?

• T3charlie Community Moderator 79 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    10. Jul 3, 2005 8:53 PM (in response to smonson)

Much to my own surprise, I found myself staring through the glass door at my local supermarket about two months ago.  The object of my attention was a carton of Silk soy-milk product.  Now, I grew up drinking whole milk and apple juice.  Period.  As I got older, I reduced my choice of milk-fat percentage gradually to increase my health.  When I began to seriously consider the foods and beverages going into my body, I realized that I need some fats and bumped my milk back up to 2%.  Yummy!  Anyway, there I was - staring at this "plant" milk.  I bought a carton and tried it first over Kashi cereal (with fresh blueberries).  Wow!  I have not had a drop of bovine milk since.  Silk tastes fantastic and it contains a few good fatty acids as well.  Give it a try! 

xraytriguy

PS - I'm not a health food freak, just trying to be healthier.  As for vegetarianism - to each their own (for me, P.E.T.A stands for People Eating Tasty Animals).

• georginebosak Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    11. Jul 15, 2005 4:54 PM (in response to smonson)

I think it is a mistake to forsake any food group.  For a long time I primarily used soy for protein, and it led to depressed thyroid function.  There is a wealth of information about soy - benefits and problems.  One problem with soy is much of it is genetically modified and processed.  Soy in its whole form is much better.  Edamame, tofu, tempeh. Check out www.mercola.com and www.westonaprice.org for discussions about the negative effects of soy.  Put soy into mercola's search engine.  Clean (antibiotic free, grass fed) animal protein is a good thing.  Everything in moderation is the key.

• Robyn2451 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    12. Jul 15, 2005 5:49 PM (in response to smonson)

this august will be 20 years that i am a vegan- im 54 years old , marathon runner and century biker and have plenty of energy to keep going- fermented soy products have had a major impact of lessening hot flashes  thru menopause-- i say go for it, but if you need the meat, do it in moderation.good luck

• strtroy Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    13. Jul 16, 2005 3:13 AM (in response to smonson)

I buy the "Red Mill" soy flour at about $3.00 a lb. Instead of the "Professional" soy protein powders at the national chain vitamin stores.  I also use the high gulten flour also.  Roy

• Sean Faircloth Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    14. Jul 16, 2005 7:15 AM (in response to smonson)

Someone on the message board said animal protein eaters live longer than vegetable protein eaters. They did not back this up with scientific data.  They did not do so because they cannot do so.  Cancer, cardo-death, and diabetes death are all dramatically higher among those who eat western (meat-based) diets compared to traditional Japanese diets or Seventh Day Adventists.  Eat meat if you like, but don't kid yourself.  Meat eaters get cancer, diabetes, and cardiac arrest far more frequently than vegetarians.  Your opinion that you like meat is fine.  The fact that a meat-based diet shortens life span compared to a vegetarian diet is beyond dispute.  Meat is in the same category as a double fudge banana split.  Will one hurt you? No.  Is it part of a healthy diet? No. You can get ample protein from beans, soy and nuts.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...