Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1712 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 6, 2011 8:03 AM by lenzlaw
RunFasterLynn Amateur 18 posts since
Jun 27, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 5, 2011 6:14 PM

Couch to 5K - Distance or Time?

I'm on W5D2 of the C25K training.  It been giving me the option of doing my intervals based on time or by distance.  I've been doing them based on time and have been coming up short on the distance.  What is the general feeling about how to proceed?  I have the ability to track distance or time (GPS watch).  It seems as if the program is looking for 10 mon/mi and I'm not that fast yet.  I want to be able to a 5K on 9/11 which is a week after the end of the program.  Tips? hints? Suggestions?

Thanks.

Going from the "Couch to 5K"

Follow with me on my blog...  http://lynn4travis.blogspot.com

I'm training to run with Team Travis at the Marine Corps Marathon 10K on October 30th and trying to raise funds for the Travis Manion Foundation.

Come check it out!!!

Other 2011 races

Baltimore Run to Remember, 9/11 - September 11, 2011

Rothman 8K, Philadelphia - November 19, 2011

Blue Skies!!!

Lynn

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,414 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Aug 6, 2011 8:03 AM (in response to RunFasterLynn)
    Re: Couch to 5K - Distance or Time?

The plan is NOT based on pace (10 min/mi).  It gives you the option of running for distance OR time, not both.  I think most people run for time because it only requires a watch.  Running for distance requires a way to measure the course - though it could simply be number of electric poles or distance between park benches.  If you've been running for time, continue to do so.  The plan is intended to prepare you to finish a 5K, with no particular pace in mind.  After 9 weeks, if you can run for 30 minutes, you can finish a 5K.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...