Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

17086 Views 32 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2012 6:07 PM by Ogr44 1 2 3 Previous Next
Pegz63 Amateur 12 posts since
Aug 6, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 6, 2011 12:45 PM

350 lbs vs. Mackinac Bridge in 2 yrs.  Can it be done?

I am a 48 year old woman who doesn't currently participate in any exercise program.  I am unable to walk for more than 10-15 minutes at a time.  I have a DREAM.... to walk the Mackinac Bridge in Michigan on Labor Day 2013.  I realize this is alot of work, alot of weight needs to come off, and a body transformation.  I am wondering what sort of tips you might be able to offer me to get me headed in the right direction.  Any encouragement would be welcome.

Thanks,

Peg

• Gravity06 Pro 102 posts since
    Feb 5, 2010

North of 350 here.

How long is the bridge?

I would suggest weight training.  Perhaps do some 5Ks to build up your stamina (it's done wonders for me).

~Liz~

Started Walking March 2009

================

2010 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk (1:17:09)

2010 AFLAC Iron Girl Clearwater 5K Run/Walk, (1:14:10)

2010 Miles For Hope 5K -- Clearwater (1:22:14) (Oh, that bridge!)

2011 Gasparilla 5+3K, (2:03:18)

2012 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk, 3/3/12

• Steve Bralla Amateur 23 posts since
    Feb 10, 2009

In a word,YES!  You can do it.  The only way you can't is if you don't try.  Don't worry that it's 10-15 minutes now as that will get much better the more you do.  Set small goals, make them and set harder goals.  Keep a log so you can't cheat on yourself.  Keep us informed how you are doing.

I know you can make it!

Steve

• Cathy Cole Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 27, 2009

Start adding a couple of minutes ---  just when you reach that 10 - 15 minutes timeframe and you think that you need to be done, pretend you hear my voice telling you to go on for 2 more minutes.  You can do ANYTHING for two minutes!  Add 2 minutes every week.... if you did that for a year you'd be up over 100 minutes, and I'll be that a 5 mile walk would be somewhere closer to 75 minutes...  You can do it!  Two more minutes!  Two at a time.

• JoZeeMom Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 21, 2011

Love this advice!  It's so true...sometimes when we look at things it can seem impossible but I can do ANYTHING for 2 minutes! Thanks, and I hope you don't mind me borrowing this advice

Aug 21, 2011

Hang in there.  It will be so worth it!  I walked the bridge several years ago.  I couldn't do it now because of the weight I've gained.  I keep waiting for the motivation to hit me to do something about it.  Life just seems to get in the way but I really hope that you make your goal.  I'm rooting for you

Aug 21, 2011

Just not my time.  I have to deal with some personal issues before I can concentrate on myself.  I appreciate the offer and hope that I can take you up on it some day.

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011

Keep going Peg!  The view from that bridge when you're walking it is AMAZING!  You have a realistic goal leading you on.

Do remember that it's ok to take a rest day now and again to give your body a break to recover a little bit.

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...