Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7511 Views 111 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2006 2:36 PM by chqm8 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 8 Previous Next
  • mdael5966 Rookie 63 posts since
    Mar 22, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jul 14, 2005 9:48 AM (in response to TropicalEsq)
    Re: DONUTS!

quote:

Originally posted by Sue in NYC:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

!http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|border=0!

It's not going to stop me from eating them, that's for sure.  It does add to the messiness factor, though.  NTTAWWT.

• retroversa Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    16. Jul 14, 2005 9:50 AM (in response to TropicalEsq)

Usually I can control my donut cravings, Not so this week!

Every day this week I've eaten a Vanilla Kreme donut from DDs.

Heaven.  Pure heaven.

• Sherie Ranier033 Amateur 36 posts since
    Nov 3, 2006
    17. Jul 14, 2005 9:52 AM (in response to TropicalEsq)

I guess I'm the odd one here.. I don't like donuts at all.  Maybe because one of my 1st jobs was to make donuts for the local supermarket.  I had to come in at 4 am to start them.  I smelled like a giant donut when I got home and my uniform was always full of grease.  My face was constantly splattered with grease from the fryer, so I broke out all the time.  Then I had to taste at least 1 donut from each batch to make sure they were OK - I had to make each batch from scratch. We hired another donut cook from the local YumYum Donuts, he was from Cambodia (I'm an American female).  He was so smelly, had crap in his teeth, never brushed them, never washed his uniform. I couldn't stand working next to him (I was 16 yrs old at the time, he was 43).  The whole experience was so gross, it's making me sick right now thinking about it.  I guess that's why I don't like donuts, do ya think I have a mental problem with it?!  Oh well, for the rest of you - enjoy.

• Currently Being Moderated
    18. Jul 14, 2005 9:59 AM (in response to TropicalEsq)

You may be young enough to enjoy the donuts for now but just a word of caution: as we get older the fat is harder to get off especially if you’re injured and cant run or exercise any longer. Now is the best time to learn how to eat healthy and control the intake of foods such as donuts because at 40 and up, with bad donut eating habits, it will settle to your thighs in your older years. Try to just limit your intake of donuts now before it becomes overwhelming.

• roadstrailstris Rookie 93 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    19. Jul 14, 2005 9:59 AM (in response to TropicalEsq)

Not really such a big donut fan, but I am a big ice cream fan- anybody ever try that donut ice cream?

• Sue in NYC Rookie 89 posts since
    Oct 8, 2000
    20. Jul 14, 2005 10:05 AM (in response to TropicalEsq)

Yo, solitude, I'm 52 years old. 

I don't like ice sream with "stuff" in it, unlike my husband.  Give me black raspberry or strawberry, now.... yum!  DH goes for the unidentifiable soggy things smooshed in.  Ick.

Dec 14, 2007
    21. Jul 14, 2005 10:10 AM (in response to TropicalEsq)

quote:

I don't like ice sream with "stuff" in it, unlike my husband. Give me black raspberry or strawberry, now.... yum! DH goes for the unidentifiable soggy things smooshed in. Ick.

See now, I've never had this donut ice cream but I am kind of curious- dunno if the donuts are big chunks or mixed in really well. I don't mind stuff in my ice cream if it's chocolate in nature, but I hate nuts in my ice cream. Although once in a while chocolate covered peanuts in ice cream can be tasty.

Oct 8, 2000
    22. Jul 14, 2005 10:15 AM (in response to TropicalEsq)

quote:

Originally posted by roadstrailstris:

See now, I've never had this donut ice cream but I am kind of curious- dunno if the donuts are big chunks or mixed in really well. I don't mind stuff in my ice cream if it's chocolate in nature, but I hate nuts in my ice cream. Although once in a while chocolate covered peanuts in ice cream can be tasty.

Now, DH hates nuts in his, too, whereas I find them delectable - unless they're covered in something.

Hmmmm.

• Fairytale04 Rookie 55 posts since
    May 20, 2005
    24. Jul 14, 2005 10:19 AM (in response to TropicalEsq)

quote:

Originally posted by roadstrailstris:

I'm with you on that! I love chocolatey mix-ins or stuff like cupcake, but nuts...not so much. However, coconut almond fudge is one of my most favorite flavors, along with mint chip (although not together - ew!).

As for donuts, I like coconut toasted, plain glazed, chocolate glazed, jelly...pretty much any flavor except French crullers or Boston creme. I don't have them very often, but if I do, I try to go to small stores (where the donuts are homemade, fresh) instead of chains like DD or KK.

• anaphase081 Rookie 56 posts since
    Nov 4, 2002
    25. Jul 14, 2005 10:21 AM (in response to TropicalEsq)

Trop, I had the most delicious Dunkin Donuts Vanilla Creme donut the other day after my swim. I feel for you, man. DDs is the best. 

• janSport Rookie 267 posts since
    Dec 12, 2007
    26. Jul 14, 2005 10:22 AM (in response to TropicalEsq)

I love donuts...but I can't find them here.    So, my indulgence (after running) this week has been home made peanut butter M&M cookies, slathered with nutella.   Yum to the 9th degree! 

• margotdarby069 Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    27. Jul 14, 2005 10:25 AM (in response to TropicalEsq)

quote:

Then you, madam, are a Philistine with no taste.

!http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|border=0!

I absolutely HATE "jelly" doughnuts. And why are they called jelly doughnuts? They never have jelly in them. It's always jam, preserves of some kind, or reconstituted sugar-goo. All well and good by itself, but a bad mouth-feel-mix with a member of the doughnut family.

My sister liked to eat chunk-light tunafish mixed with strawberry preserves. This is when she was seven or eight. Sounds nauseating, but it's a darn sight better than a "jelly" doughnut.

In fact, filled doughnuts of all kinds should be outlawed. There are only two kinds of doughnuts worth mentioning: the traditional fried-nutmeg-dough kind (sometimes called "plain" or "homestyle" or "the kind Homer Price made with his doughnut machine"), and the yeast-raised variant with melted confectioner's sugar on the outside (aka "glazed" or "honey-dip'd").

I don't even REMEMBER filled yeast-doughnuts being much in evidence when I was little. Even the Dunkin Donuts on the Baltimore Pike north of Wilmingtonc'mon, I'm sure you all rememberonly had a rack or two of  disgusting experimental concoctions on display, up against a dozen or so racks of sedate and traditional crullers and doughnuts. 

Thank you for letting me share. I needed to get that off my chest.

Margot (also in NYC)

Dec 14, 2007
    28. Jul 14, 2005 10:25 AM (in response to TropicalEsq)

quote:

Originally posted by SloJan:

I love donuts...but I can't find them here.     So, my indulgence (after running) this week has been home made peanut butter M&M cookies, slathered with nutella.   Yum to the 9th degree!   !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

That sounds incredible!! I love nutella.

Oct 8, 2000
    29. Jul 14, 2005 10:29 AM (in response to TropicalEsq)

quote:

Originally posted by margotdarby:

My sister liked to eat chunk-light tunafish mixed with strawberry preserves.

Margot (also in NYC)

That. sounds. heinous.

Oh, I moved way upstate NY last year, but I've been "Sue in NYC" for too many years to change it.

Mmmmm....jelly donuts.....

1 2 3 4 ... 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...