Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7529 Views 111 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2006 2:36 PM by chqm8 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8 Previous Next
  • Better than yesterday Legend 767 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Jul 14, 2005 10:30 AM (in response to TropicalEsq)
    Re: DONUTS!

Better than a donut with coffee...a just off the conveyor belt Cider Donut or 10 with a hot cup of mulled cider, or a nice cold glass of apple cider.  It's the best thing about fall in upstate NY. But it's like getting fresh corn from the garden to the stovetop to your plate - it's gotta be done quickly!  You can't stick them in a bag and share them with your family or co-workers, you've got to go to the orchard and eat and drink immediately. 

Not every orchard does them right. Went to a place called Samascott Orchards in Kinderhook NY two weekends ago and their donuts sucked. (Great cherries, tho).  How can you screw a cider donut up and still call yourself an orchard?  Good ones:  The Cider Mill in Endicott (Binghamton) NY and Indian Ladder Farms in Voorheesville (Albany) NY.

• VanessaCVT Rookie 48 posts since
    Nov 15, 2003
    31. Jul 14, 2005 10:33 AM (in response to TropicalEsq)

donuts make my world a better place.

• Drewski711 Rookie 8 posts since
    Nov 15, 2007
    32. Jul 14, 2005 10:38 AM (in response to TropicalEsq)

Donuts are the food of the gods.  When I was training for my first marathon, I'd reward myself with one after the longer runs when I saw one of my friends who is an elite marathoner doing the same.  If I lived near a Duncan's I'd be in trouble and don't get in my way when they have one of those "mini-donut" machines around (fresh donuts even better).  My only comment, having gotten caught up in the frenzy initally, is that Krispy Kremes are WAY over-rated.  Growing up in Detroit, I can tell you that either Duncan's or Tim Horton's blows them away

• dryost Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 28, 2005
    33. Jul 14, 2005 10:45 AM (in response to TropicalEsq)

quote:

Originally posted by Sue in NYC:

Now, DH hates nuts in his, too, whereas I find them delectable - unless they're covered in something.

Hmmmm.

Please pardon my ignorance, but what does DH stand for? Thanks.

----

If I want better times,
    I'm going to have to run faster.

• Sue in NYC Rookie 89 posts since
    Oct 8, 2000
    34. Jul 14, 2005 10:53 AM (in response to TropicalEsq)

quote:

Originally posted by dryost:

Please pardon my ignorance, but what does DH stand for? Thanks.

Dear (or substitute whatever you want) husband.

DS = dear son
    DD = daughter, etc.
    SO = significant other

http://www.gaarde.org/acronyms/[/URL" target="_blank">

• Currently Being Moderated
    35. Jul 14, 2005 10:54 AM (in response to TropicalEsq)

I like donuts, but stay away from them, unless someone sticks a box of them under my nose.  Then I don't have any trouble eating 3.  Or 4.

On the Food Channel, Paula Deene made a "donut bread pudding" that went something like this:

Break Krispy Kreme glazed donuts (a dozen ?) into chunks, and put into baking pan.

Pour a can of sweetened condensed milk over it (as she does this, she announces that "this recipe has no added sugar.")

Then pour in a can of fruit cocktail (can't remember if she drained it first or not).

Bake - probably at 350, but I don't remember how long.

If any of you attempt this - please let us know your results !  I was kind of liking the sound of it, until it came to the fruit cocktail part, but I guess you could always leave that out.

• Sue in NYC Rookie 89 posts since
    Oct 8, 2000
    37. Jul 14, 2005 11:09 AM (in response to TropicalEsq)

Oh, man Paula Deene must be southern.

That....sounds....sweet enough to rot your teeth on contact.  My husband'd love it.

• annora77045 Rookie 78 posts since
    Jun 26, 2006
    38. Jul 14, 2005 11:22 AM (in response to TropicalEsq)

my favourite donuts of all time, bar none, are the maple glazed donuts from frosty's bakery in brunswick, me.  they make them every freakin' morning, and the line out the door is at least a mile long...  they serve them to you hot.  sigh.  i'd give my right arm for one.

on the other hand, my favourite pastry are the meltaways from this teensy homegrown bakery on the cape.  i could eat those things until i passed out.  layers and layers of lemon, sugar and flaky dough...  gahhhh.

• annora77045 Rookie 78 posts since
    Jun 26, 2006
    39. Jul 14, 2005 11:24 AM (in response to TropicalEsq)

quote:

Originally posted by Tibbar2:

I like donuts, but stay away from them, unless someone sticks a box of them under my nose. Then I don't have any trouble eating 3. Or 4.

On the Food Channel, Paula Deene made a "donut bread pudding" that went something like this:

If any of you attempt this - please let us know your results ! I was kind of liking the sound of it, until it came to the fruit cocktail part, but I guess you could always leave that out.

i'm betting it would be absolutely fabulous if you substituted a can of blueberry pie filling for the fruit cocktail...

you'll probably want to arm yourself w/a prescription for insulin, but whatever.

• Laura on a bike099 Rookie 183 posts since
    Feb 22, 2005
    40. Jul 14, 2005 11:24 AM (in response to TropicalEsq)

i prefer funnel cakes.

• Snooze Traveler Rookie 72 posts since
    Feb 18, 2005
    41. Jul 14, 2005 11:30 AM (in response to TropicalEsq)

quote:

Originally posted by Sue in NYC:

Oh, man Paula Deene must be southern.

That....sounds....sweet enough to rot your teeth on contact. My husband'd love it.

She is about as country as grits. And that woman uses more fat and sugar than anyone on the channel.

Sometimes I wish she were my grandmother. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

(Oh, and for lunch, I'm stopping to get some Krispy Kremes. )

• aphigirl01 Rookie 20 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    42. Jul 14, 2005 12:09 PM (in response to TropicalEsq)

This discussion is just cracking me up!  Who knew that one person professing their love of the 3 donuts they just ate would spark such response.  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

By the way, my favorite is a warm "plain" donut from Floyd's Daylight Donuts. mmmm!

And I agree, all filled donuts should be outlawed!  Ick!

• teetime Rookie 445 posts since
    Aug 17, 2002
    43. Jul 14, 2005 12:19 PM (in response to TropicalEsq)

quote:

Originally posted by annora77:

my favourite donuts of all time, bar none, are the maple glazed donuts from frosty's bakery in brunswick, me. they make them every freakin' morning, and the line out the door is at least a mile long... they serve them to you hot. sigh. i'd give my right arm for one.

on the other hand, my favourite pastry are the meltaways from this teensy homegrown bakery on the cape. i could eat those things until i passed out. layers and layers of lemon, sugar and flaky dough... gahhhh.

Cape Cod?  If so, say more.

• MiniDriver Rookie 259 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    44. Jul 14, 2005 12:30 PM (in response to TropicalEsq)

quote:

Originally posted by margotdarby:

I absolutely HATE "jelly" doughnuts. And why are they called jelly doughnuts? They never have jelly in them. It's always jam, preserves of some kind, or reconstituted sugar-goo. All well and good by itself, but a bad mouth-feel-mix with a member of the doughnut family.

Yabut Boston Creme donuts are great.  Like round eclairs..mmm... eclairs.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...