Skip navigation

566 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 13, 2011 7:02 AM by ValerieAlbanese RSS
LauraKDecker Amateur 16 posts since
Jul 28, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 8, 2011 8:27 AM

89 days till I race in my 890's!

I have officially been running in my New Balance 890's for 1 week now, and i'm feeling stronger than ever.  I had my first long run in them this weekend (13 miles) and they feel as though I've been running in them forever.  I got slightly bored on my route so I decided to go off on some trails and still felt fully supported.

Anyone have any pointers for how to NOT get bored and slack on your long runs?  I feel like races keep you motivated and moving, but running alone is harder to keep going...

• JoeLoureiro Expert 44 posts since
    Apr 21, 2009
    1. Aug 8, 2011 10:14 AM (in response to LauraKDecker)
    Re: 89 days till I race in my 890's!

I have a couple of neighbors that I run with. I'll have company for some or most of the run. Another way is to join a running club. The one that I belong to, Merrimack Valley Striders, offers hosted runs on the weekend.

• PeterORourke Amateur 9 posts since
    Jul 27, 2011
    2. Aug 8, 2011 1:49 PM (in response to LauraKDecker)

I like the out and back approach to prevent long run boredom. Just head out the door and run half of your long run miles in one direction and turn around to come back. It forces and motivates you to run back home. I find it very motivating on the way back that you have a finish line (home) set in your mind. I also like putting on the ipod mid long run. The first few miles fly by and then when it gets tough I put the ipod on. The music carries me the rest of the way.

• ValerieAlbanese Amateur 24 posts since
    Jul 30, 2011
    3. Aug 13, 2011 7:02 AM (in response to PeterORourke)

Running alone can definitely get boring. That frustrates me sometimes so, as silly as this might sound, I actually make tiny little goals for myself throughout a run if I'm having one of those days. I'll look ahead and note a tree or a traffic light or something for me to get to and then I kinda repeat that however many times. It distracts me for at least a little while and gives my mind somewhere else to go. I keep reading that a lot of people are already running 15+ miles and I'm not there yet so I'm feeling a little nervous about getting up to that mileage. Just trying to enjoy my own journey overall!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points