Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8838 Views 19 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2006 4:46 PM by saustin74 RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • gpb11 Amateur 156 posts since
    Feb 13, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Mar 17, 2006 11:15 AM (in response to alowrun)
    Re: Healthy Snacks That Are Filling

Low calorie snack or high calorie snacks?

Low cal

(I have simple tastes...)
    raw broccoli
    "baby" carrots
    plain celery sticks
    sliced zucchini

high cal

soynuts (non-oil roasted)
    home-dried fruit
    homemade whole wheat bread with peanut butter
    homemade trailmix (home-dried fruit, soynuts, some choc chips, peanuts, cashews, etc)

as to home-dried fruit, an American-Harvest FD60 dehydrator from WallyWorld is a good value.
    some ideas:
    sliced granny smith apples
    sliced bannanas
    canned chunk pineapple (in juice), drained
    canned tropical fruit cocktain (in juice), drained
    whatever else comes to mind... !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

This stuff is significantly different than the pumped-full-of-sugar "dried" fruit you buy in the store.

• Ariann092 Rookie 680 posts since
    Jan 4, 2005
    16. Mar 17, 2006 4:27 PM (in response to alowrun)

quote:

Originally posted by alowrun:

Hmm. Chocolate in trail mix? Wouldn't it melt and get all yucky?

M&Ms in trail mix are by far the best part.

Nuts and dried fruit (primarily raisins) are usually the main ingredients, but I bet you could make tasty trail mix just from dried fruits if you can't have nuts.

• teetime Rookie 445 posts since
    Aug 17, 2002
    17. Dec 21, 2007 4:36 PM (in response to alowrun)

quote:

Originally posted by Ariann:

M&Ms in trail mix are by far the best part.

Nuts and dried fruit (primarily raisins) are usually the main ingredients, but I bet you could make tasty trail mix just from dried fruits if you can't have nuts.

One of my favs is dried fruit (and key to this mix is that the dried fruit includes craisins and crystalized ginger) and lots of seeds (sunflower, pumpkin) w/ dark choc chips. There are some nuts in it I think .... cashews maybe ... but it would be plenty good without.

Edited to add that you, alowrun, eat peanut butter, right? (I'm sure you've posted that before.) So is it just some nuts .... like almonds etc? If so ... classic trail mix = GORP = good old raisins and peanuts.

[http://This message has been edited by teetime (edited Mar-17-2006).|http://This message has been edited by teetime (edited Mar-17-2006).]

• saustin74 Rookie 57 posts since
    Oct 26, 2007
    18. Mar 18, 2006 4:44 PM (in response to alowrun)

The best snacks that keep you satiated the longest are the ones with protein. Some of my favorites:

apples and peanut butter
    trail mix (LOVE the trail mix with cranberries instead of raisins)
    a handful of unsalted almonds
    cheese on whole wheat crackers
    Luna Bars (180 calories in one but they also have a little chocolate on the bottom and a lot of protein so it's like eating a healthy candy bar)
    Celery with low fat cream cheese
    Yogurt (Yoplait Whips are my absolute fav since they have a chocolate flavor...i am a chocaholic in case you couldn't tell!)

• saustin74 Rookie 57 posts since
    Oct 26, 2007
    19. Mar 18, 2006 4:46 PM (in response to alowrun)

Oh and by the way alowrun...you can get vita muffins at your grocery store in the organic/health food isles. They sell them at whole foods too though if your grocery store doesn't carry them. 

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...