Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

3300 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2011 10:51 AM by susan-n-the black dog
SJSUDRH Rookie 1 posts since
May 27, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 11, 2011 1:38 PM

How long?

I'm one week out from a minor hamstring strain, what's the general consensus about how long I should wait until I get back to distance walking?  I've treated the strain with rest, compression, ice and heat.  It no longer feels loose and routine walking doesn't seem to bother it.  Am I safe to go out tomorrow for 5 miles?

• TizzyO'Grady Amateur 33 posts since
    Mar 2, 2010
    1. Aug 11, 2011 6:50 PM (in response to SJSUDRH)
    Re: How long?

Hi SJS,

Sadly, this is a topic that I have too much experience with!!!  I had a minor tear in my left hamstring in May and have just recently been cleared to carefully resume speed workouts.  I saw a doctor and had 6 weeks of physical therapy to get to the point of fitness walking again and I can honestly say that I NEVER want to go back to where I was right after the injury.

Some history:  I did a half marathon in May that left my hamstring tight and sore.  I PR'd the race, so I was definitely pushing it.  I took 2 weeks off to let it "heal" and waited until I felt zero tightness.  Regular walking and stairs were no trouble, so I believed it was just post-race soreness that had cleared up.

I started back by joining a training group for some speed drills and WHAM -- tore it.  Instant and immediate realization that I had done something terrible.

The doctor told me that hamstrings are very slow to heal completely and that complete healing is vital to avoid re-injury.  I hate to say it, but he told me 6 months before I was cleared for 13 miles, and a full year before I could expect to do 13 miles at PR pace.  I was devastated because I am missing a Rock n Roll event this weekend that I had signed up for months ago, but I've come too far to erase all those weeks of PT.

All that said, I did 5 miles this morning and threw in a couple of minutes of speed work (11:30 pace) in at various intervals.  I can feel the tightness now, but I am not in pain.  I have stretched it multiple times today and even used a little ice.  Tomorrow I will just walk a very easy pace to recover from today.  I'm frustrated because I'm usually logging 100 miles per month at this time of year, but I realize that ignoring my initial injury (which was probably just a bad sprain) is what got me here.

So...my advice is to be very careful and listen to your body.  Once you push it too far, you've pushed it too far and you're in full-on recovery mode for a long time.  Clearly you have not torn anything or you would know it.  Like you said, it probably is a sprain and as long as you allow it to heal and you are really good about stretching, you should be able to avoid any significant loss of time or miles.  Best of luck!!  Please keep us posted on your progress.

Tizzy

• ManikSona Expert 55 posts since
    Aug 11, 2011
    2. Aug 12, 2011 10:20 AM (in response to SJSUDRH)

I have to agree, take the necessary time to let it heal.  When you get back into things taking it very slow.  It also doesn't hurt to go to a performance center for an evaluation on what types of supports you might be able to use while you are training to avoid the possibility of reinjuring it.  But definitely don't rush into things. 

Manik Runner - Training for a Marathon

• susan-n-the black dog Legend 425 posts since
    Jun 11, 2009
    3. Sep 17, 2011 10:46 AM (in response to SJSUDRH)

Sorry, late to the game on this one.  One week for a minor strain and you want to do 5 miles?  Be CAREFUL - more importantly...did you do it?

I'm almost three weeks from a MAJOR pull.  I tripped over my dog, did a faceplant on the asphalt (my nose and chin have looked better) and pull a hammie from the knee to the butt.  I'm black and blue.  I'm back up to a very slow and careful 2 miles as of today. 

You might consider a thigh wrap or compression wrap.  It really helps.  take care

Susan in CA
    Brazen Racing Bear Creek 10k Aug 09
    Brazen Racing Rocky Ridge 10k Oct 09
    Brazen's Turkey Trot 10k Nov 09
    Walked the Golden Gate Bridge - too cool!

Monterey Big Sur Internationl Half Marathon.(10mile walk)

Brazen's New Years 10k Jan 10

Brazen's Bear Creek 10k MUD FEST Jan 10

Finally, back out on the trails!

Blossom Trail 10k March 2011

Miracle Miles for Kids - May 2011

Brian Waterbury Memorial Rock to the Pier 10k - July 2011 Happy Birthday to me!

So many miles...so little time...

I did it - I signed up for Big Sur - April 2012

Unless you faint, puke or die...keep walking - Jillian Michaels

I can't come in last because I am ahead of those who didn't start!

• susan-n-the black dog Legend 425 posts since
    Jun 11, 2009
    4. Sep 17, 2011 10:51 AM (in response to TizzyO'Grady)

Tizzy,

Thank you for that.  I've been having a terrible time with both Hammies lately.  My doctor said I'm not drinking enough.  I refused to believe that until I did some real soul searching.  OMG he was right.  I'm drinking iced green tea but that is a diaretic (sp?).  DUH!  Now I'm back to water and potassium - lots and lots of bananas.  The cramping is better and the MRI didn't show a tear.  Thank GOD

susan

Susan in CA
    Brazen Racing Bear Creek 10k Aug 09
    Brazen Racing Rocky Ridge 10k Oct 09
    Brazen's Turkey Trot 10k Nov 09
    Walked the Golden Gate Bridge - too cool!

Monterey Big Sur Internationl Half Marathon.(10mile walk)

Brazen's New Years 10k Jan 10

Brazen's Bear Creek 10k MUD FEST Jan 10

Finally, back out on the trails!

Blossom Trail 10k March 2011

Miracle Miles for Kids - May 2011

Brian Waterbury Memorial Rock to the Pier 10k - July 2011 Happy Birthday to me!

So many miles...so little time...

I did it - I signed up for Big Sur - April 2012

Unless you faint, puke or die...keep walking - Jillian Michaels

I can't come in last because I am ahead of those who didn't start!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points