Skip navigation

1219 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2011 4:55 PM by Julie Ann Hackett RSS
UofLtri Rookie 1 posts since
Aug 11, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 11, 2011 3:54 PM

Need Help...

Sept 4th is my first triathalon.  I need some suggestions as to what i need to have on hand in the transition area.  Any examples of what you all have on hand during your races would be a great help!
  • mjm 62 Pro 91 posts since
    May 18, 2008
    1. Aug 12, 2011 7:51 AM (in response to UofLtri)
    Re: Need Help...

We all generally have the same set up,rack bike with helmet and sunglasses,on the ground you'll place a towel folded in half with your cycling shoes [ if you have them],running shoes.I keep an extra water bottle to wash my feet prior to putting on my cycling shoes,number belt.So it goes like this- come back from swim,drop gogles wash feet,cycling shoes,helmet sunglasses walk bike to mount.Coming back from the bike dismount, I leave my cycling shoes on until I'm at my towel then I don't have to wash my feet again prior to putting on my running shoes.Put on running shoes,clip on number belt put my visor on and off you go!!Picture in your mind the order you will be using things.I've seen people on the bike with barefeet and people on the run with their helmet still on!!Just relax and have fun,my old theory is "I'm probably not going to be first and hopefully won't be last!!

Good luck,Mike

Cape Coral Yacht club sprint 1:03

FGCU sprint 1:03

Columbus Marathon 3:50-2010

Gator Half Ironman 5:43-2009

Venice sprint 1:09/25th overall

Captiva sprint 1:04

• BT.ROB Legend 272 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    2. Aug 12, 2011 9:49 AM (in response to UofLtri)

In addition to what Mike laid out, have a bottle of sunscreen, some lip balm, maybe a gel or two, Body Glide or other anti-chafe product at your transition just in case. Keep it simple.Good luck and have fun!

BT

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    3. Aug 17, 2011 3:33 PM (in response to UofLtri)

Hey there,

I hope it's a great day for your first race experience. Mike & BT had great suggestions.

I use a bright colored towel to put my stuff on, but I keep it folded pretty small so I'm not a rack-space hog. You can practice setting up an example area in your garage or outside etc and practice each transition.

Use whatever tricks help you stay calm, but motivated. :-) No need to freak out going super fast, but make the seconds quick & controlled and remind yourself you are ready etc.

I hope you'll keep us updated post race and invite some friends to train for a future event!

Best to you! ENjoy!!!!

:-) Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    4. Aug 17, 2011 4:55 PM (in response to UofLtri)

You might find it helpful to look up some videos in youtube of how people set up for the TA.  I know I felt alot better setting up for my first race after watching a few videos.  I still watch videos when I get a chance just to see if I can learn any new tricks.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...