Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

25831 Views 169 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2011 11:43 AM by huddyrunner RSS 1 2 3 ... 12 Previous Next
Carla JV Amateur 12 posts since
Aug 11, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 12, 2011 3:28 PM

Any other beginners over 40?

Hi folks,

I just started C25K this week (did W1D2 yesterday), and I'm wondering if there are any other middle-aged beginners out there.  I'm 47 and need to lose about forty pounds.  So far I feel pretty good, but I'm a little worried about my old joints. 

• SergeStorms Amateur 14 posts since
    Aug 5, 2011
    1. Aug 12, 2011 4:11 PM (in response to Carla JV)
    Re: Any other beginners over 40?

I'm in!  45....gotta lose a few (many)....following the program (C25K)....week 3 starts tomorrow.  No pain....I am more encouraged than ever.

Dive right in!

• Carlos1a Rookie 2 posts since
    May 26, 2011
    2. Aug 12, 2011 6:09 PM (in response to Carla JV)

I'm 47, soon to be 48 (in 5 weeks) and I just started running distance in May of this year.  I have not had any trouble with my knees and I've run about 12 races so far.  I am at a good weight now and I've lost about 20 pounds since I started.  I look and feel better than I have in a long time (I used to smoke until 3 years ago).  Tomorrow will be the 13th race in 14 weeks, I think.  By best time so far was 25:07.  Tomorrow I look to break the 25 minute mark.  The biggest trouble that I have is breathing properly.  It's getting better but I feel it is a very important thing.  Good Luck, you will like the results if you stay with it.

Chip

• RunFasterLynn Amateur 18 posts since
    Jun 27, 2011
    3. Aug 12, 2011 6:53 PM (in response to Carla JV)

I'm 49 and on W6D2 of C25K.  I also need to lose about 40 pounds.  I'm trying to make a 5K on 9/11 and a few other runs/ races I have my sights set on.  Running with a little ain in my shins and my knees, but still running.  The pain in my shins stops after I stop running, so I know its not a stress facture.  But my knees is another story, bad knees from running in boots while in the Marines many years ago.  My biggest hurdle is my breathing though.  I have asthma which makes me get winded very easily.  But I keep running 3 days a week.

Going from the "Couch to 5K"

Follow with me on my blog...  http://lynn4travis.blogspot.com

I'm training to run with Team Travis at the Marine Corps Marathon 10K on October 30th and trying to raise funds for the Travis Manion Foundation.

Come check it out!!!

Other 2011 races

Baltimore Run to Remember, 9/11 - September 11, 2011

Rothman 8K, Philadelphia - November 19, 2011

Blue Skies!!!

Lynn

• RunFasterLynn Amateur 18 posts since
    Jun 27, 2011
    4. Aug 12, 2011 6:55 PM (in response to Carlos1a)

You're doing great!!  I hope to one day get to the 25 minute mark.  I have enough trouble just running for 5 minutes straight.  Keep going!!

Going from the "Couch to 5K"

Follow with me on my blog...  http://lynn4travis.blogspot.com

I'm training to run with Team Travis at the Marine Corps Marathon 10K on October 30th and trying to raise funds for the Travis Manion Foundation.

Come check it out!!!

Other 2011 races

Baltimore Run to Remember, 9/11 - September 11, 2011

Rothman 8K, Philadelphia - November 19, 2011

Blue Skies!!!

Lynn

• Carlos1a Rookie 2 posts since
    May 26, 2011
    5. Aug 13, 2011 11:53 AM (in response to RunFasterLynn)

Thanks!!  Well, I finished the rece this morning in 23:58...  A new personal record.  It was a struggle but I only walked 3 times to regain my breath (short duration) and I finished strong.

• blaze48173 Amateur 24 posts since
    Jun 21, 2010
    9. Aug 13, 2011 12:45 PM (in response to Carla JV)

41, ran 10k today and finished 3rd in age group 58.21.

Attachments:
  • LeeNich Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 13, 2011
    10. Aug 13, 2011 1:14 PM (in response to Carla JV)
    Yes, 44, and started C25K today. OK except calves sore but I do strength/flexibility/cardio throughout the week, so I should be OK. Need to change running shoes AGAIN, can't find a pair that work for my feet, but I am not letting that stop me! :-)
  • LoriKre Pro 83 posts since
    May 16, 2011
    11. Aug 13, 2011 1:21 PM (in response to blaze48173)

I'm 49, I'll be 50 in December and I also have about 40 pounds to lose.  I started the C25K program in May and worked my way up to running 25 minutes at a time and then I guess I wore myself out, so I've backed up in the program and I'm re-doing weeks to try to strengthen my body up.  I absolutely love this program and I feel so much healthier since I started it.

Today I went out and repeated W2D1 and like a dummy I decided to do this during the hottest part of the day, so instead of having what I thought was going to be an easy run was actually a pretty tough workout.

Welcome everyone and happy running.

Lori

C25K Started 5-16-11 quit due to injury. Re-starting C25K 6-4-12

1st 5K - 7-30-11 Completed-4H 5K-Brown County Fairgrounds-49:36-walked with some jogs added in

• AllisonsMommy Amateur 8 posts since
    Mar 20, 2011
    12. Aug 14, 2011 10:08 AM (in response to Carla JV)

I just started running in the spring, March, doing the Couch to 5K and I am 41.  When I started running for 30 seconds winded me.  Today I ran my first 5K race and I was slow but I did it!!! I am proud of myself and cannot wait to do better!!  Keep going. It is worth it. My time was 45:07.  Lots of walking, more than I would have liked, but just a few weeks ago I could not even do 3 miles so it is all a progression. 

• lisa wy Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 12, 2011
    13. Aug 14, 2011 11:54 AM (in response to Carla JV)

Hi I'm new to C25K

I started C25K almost a month ago; just turned 48

On my first attempt I had to lay of for two weeks because of shin splints an a groin strain. after a two weeks

I started week one again only to have the same problem start up again almost immediately.

I've found an exercise that works for my hip abductor and my shins I,m also stretching twice a day but I have to confess that I'm fairly frustrated. I'm running slowly, and stretching and icing. But not sure when to stop and rest and when do you just run through the pain?

I'm not ready to quit but just frustrated.

• cyclinginsalem Expert 42 posts since
    Aug 1, 2010
    14. Aug 14, 2011 3:50 PM (in response to lisa wy)

I'm 42 and just started c25k on 8/1.  Although I've been biking recreationally the past few years running is really hard!  Am experiencing some pain in my hips and my left ankle.   Going to invest in a good pair of running shoes this week. Oh and I've been doing 4 days of each week (not runnnng 4 times a week but doing the week 1 program 4 times before moving onto week 2)  hoping that will help my build up my strength.     Good luck everyone!

c25k started 8/1/11

1 2 3 ... 12 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...