Skip navigation

499 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 15, 2011 9:55 AM by AMN0408 RSS
ValerieAlbanese Amateur 24 posts since
Jul 30, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 13, 2011 6:35 AM

The Power Of Word Of Mouth

It's tough to believe that today's run will mark four weeks of marathon training for me already. I started a little earlier than my marathon pro friends due to a knee injury last December. I wanted to be smart and take this training slow and steady. I was actually quite worried about my knee training in new shoes as I haven't deviated from my one brand for years. I think that's why I have an elevated level of excitement about how amazing my 890's feel. I am genuinely thrilled to have found such an awesome shoe that also does not poorly affect my knee.

All of this said, I've been raving about the 890's to anyone who will listen and not get sick of me, ha! Well, it turns out that the power of word of mouth can be pretty darn effective when you reach the right people. As an aside, I'm quite lucky to be plugged into a solid community of very active people which keeps me both challenged and motivated. I'd wanted to be involved in a group like that for a long time because the same old routine of happy hours and the like gets pretty old. I've always been a very determined individual and, after adding serious cycling to my list of activities, I met several people that have been amazing and become close friends of mine. We try to get outside weekly with each other to bike or run and we even have a variation of a "pushup club" that we do daily which has been awesome. Of course, this crew was my first target when I wanted to share my excitement about the new shoes!

I told them all the specifics of the shoe but I stressed that the lightweight nature did not at all affect the support. That's the most important thing, in my opinion. It turns out a couple of my cycling friends were in the market for new running shoes so they hit the store to try them on and, next thing you know, I get this photo:

NB Shoes.jpg

My friend, An, took the photo from my original post and did a little adjusting, heehee. She and our friend, Angie, each bought a pair almost immediately after trying them out. I got so excited and had to share that with you all here today. What's really great is that An will be running the San Francisco Nike Women's half marathon in October in her flashy New Balance kicks. I love it!

Happy running to all and I hope training is going so well for my fellow New Balance ambassador friends!

• JoeLoureiro Expert 44 posts since
    Apr 21, 2009
    1. Aug 13, 2011 12:43 PM (in response to ValerieAlbanese)
    Re: The Power Of Word Of Mouth

Great little story! I ran in my new shirt last week, and like it so much that I went to to the New Balance Factory Outlet in Lawrence, and bought myself new running clothes. I'll be all set for NY with a full outfit - shorts, shirt, hat, and of course, the 890's. Attached is a photo with some of the new gear!

Attachments:
  • AMN0408 Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 16, 2008
    2. Aug 15, 2011 9:55 AM (in response to ValerieAlbanese)
    Re: The Power Of Word Of Mouth

Valerie is too kind. With the help of my physical therapist and Jack Rabbit, I had found a pair of running shoes last year and have been training in them for the Nike Women's Half. The 750s were the closest New Balance shoe that might work for me but they didn't quite make the cut. When I heard about the 890s and with Valerie's raving, I definitely wanted to try them out. One Friday afternoon, I had some time and tried the 890s out. The minute I put them on, I knew they were something special. They are definitely light, giving my old xc spikes a run for their money, but what was more surprising was they hugged my feet perfectly. I thought my old New Balance shoes fit well, but wow these were amazing. This morning these shoes helped me make it through a 7 mile run, my longest run since my high school days. I've even taken them out for a few sprints on the track. Though these are designed for the road, they do well on the track. As a former sprinter, I'd recommend a stiffer shoe for any track races but for training these will do great. If you haven't checked out these shoes yet, you definitely should!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...