Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1407 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2011 2:01 PM by tryingtobegraceful RSS
SadiaSalix Rookie 1 posts since
Aug 14, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 14, 2011 9:27 AM

Am I really doing this?? C25K 14/08/11

Right, I must have just gone bonkers because I've decided to start C25K today (if I leave it until tomorrow it won't get done). I'm a complete newbie so I might be doing something ridiculously wrong here. All sorts of fears running through my head -- what if I quit? Surely, I, a 200+lb Coca Cola addict, can't be running 5km in 8 weeks time? Especially as I'm moving to the city centre in a few weeks... where am I going to run? In the bus lanes, the shopping centre?? I really haven't thought this through...

(Oh, there's a big park near my new flat, I could go running there).

Anyway, I need to get fit and this suddenly seems ridiculously plausible. I must have gone barmy to be even considering this.

PS my doctor thinks it's a great idea. Everyone's a cynic! Where did I leave my bag of excuses? I must've ate them all when I ran out of crisps.

Can I have some support, guidance, motivation, encouragement? Or tough love, verbal abuse, criticism... anything that will actually make me do this? I don't have much sticking power, you see. Which is more or less why I'm fat.

• tryingtobegraceful Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 10, 2011
    1. Aug 14, 2011 10:26 AM (in response to SadiaSalix)
    Re: Am I really doing this?? C25K 14/08/11

I'm with you on this one. Total newbie.  I just finished W1D2 today.  I also am 200+ but I do it slowly and I've made it through both workouts.  You can do this. 

I have the same fears about quitting, motivation, injury.  Someone recently said to me "There's nothing more powerful than doing it scared."  If I'm scared and still doing it, that makes me powerful.  You, too, can be powerful.

• allmylove Expert 51 posts since
    Apr 24, 2011
    2. Aug 14, 2011 6:25 PM (in response to SadiaSalix)

Well I'm 242 lbs by last measurement, and just completed W5D1 just a few minutes ago.  There are lots of us out there that are overweight and doing this thing...and COMPLETING THIS THING!  I thought when I signed up that I was for sure the fattest person to do this but that is so far from the truth.  I have read posts from several way over 300lbs starting weight.  Some of us can make it straight through, some have to repeat weeks to make it, some have to take some time off and come back and thats ok too.  Just remember when you get that voice in the back of your head telling you that you can stop, no one is watching, go ahead and stop 15 seconds early, that you can't do that its only a mental block and you really can do it.

• and-she-ran Amateur 29 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Aug 14, 2011 8:37 PM (in response to SadiaSalix)

Hi SadiaSalix and congratulations on your decision to start C25K. I am hardly an expert, I am only up to W2D2 but I wanted to stop in and say good luck and way to go!

I have found that, for me, the most important thing is to treat each day as independent to the ones before or the ones to come or I get too hung up on comparisons. I have found that some days I am feeling on top of the world, like I could fly through the program and others I feel like I have no idea why I am doing it

I am 200lbs+ also and determined to not let that be a reason for not doing something that I desperately want to achieve. I truly hope you get the awesome feeling I have been getting after completing each day of the program because I also find it hard to stick with things but that feeling is just so addictive I can't help but continue!

I can't wait to hear how you go!

About Me
    Read more about my journey to get healthy, learn to run and find myself at And She Ran...

• and-she-ran Amateur 29 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Aug 14, 2011 8:39 PM (in response to tryingtobegraceful)

tryingtobegraceful wrote:

Someone recently said to me "There's nothing more powerful than doing it scared."  If I'm scared and still doing it, that makes me powerful.  You, too, can be powerful.

Hi tryingtobegraceful,

What a fantastic saying! I am officially adopting it if that's okay by you I find myself scared of a lot of the things that the C25K program is presenting to me and this makes me feel okay about it!

Thanks!

About Me
    Read more about my journey to get healthy, learn to run and find myself at And She Ran...

• NotBornTorun Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 2, 2011
    5. Aug 14, 2011 11:39 PM (in response to SadiaSalix)

I just keep telling myself "I can do this. I WILL do this" We can, we will. It's hard to believe sometimes, but I have seen the most unhealthy individuals run a 5k in 2 months time. So why the heck can't we?!

• tryingtobegraceful Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 10, 2011
    6. Aug 16, 2011 2:01 PM (in response to and-she-ran)

and-she-ran,

By all means, use whatever works for you!  I have W1D3 tomorrow and it will be running through my head the whole time.  If you say it enough times, that "scared" part drops off and you find yourself repeating "I am powerful".  Works for me. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points