Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

10742 Views 224 Replies Latest reply: May 17, 2006 7:54 PM by jedi knight RSS 1 2 3 ... 15 Previous Next
HErbenator Rookie 3 posts since
Nov 16, 2005
Currently Being Moderated

May 3, 2006 2:35 PM

Is calorie the only big factor to losing fat?

Every time I ask how do you lose fat because I am excercising often and I don't lose any. People than say "the only way to lose weight is to use more calories than you are eating."  Aren't there any other factors like protien, carbs, fats?

• Cynthia Blue Rookie 24 posts since
    May 28, 2004
    1. May 3, 2006 5:03 PM (in response to HErbenator)
    Re: Is calorie the only big factor to losing fat?

No

• mountainlake Rookie 73 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. May 3, 2006 5:07 PM (in response to HErbenator)

Well, depending on what you eat, you will be more or less hungry.  1600 calories of mostly fat will leave you a lot hungry than 1600 calories of high fiber and lean protein foods.

In general, these are the "rules":

-- Lean protein is filling.
    -- High-fiber foods are filling.
    -- Foods with a high water content are filling.

So if you eat a lot of "filling" foods, then you will find it easier to cut back on calories.  But in general, the rule is that you have to burn more calories than you take in.

• LeahC044 Rookie 129 posts since
    Sep 5, 2005
    3. May 3, 2006 5:43 PM (in response to HErbenator)

Mountainlake has a good point.  Calories are really the only thing that matters but the other things (protein, fat, fibre) will dictate how hungry you are at a set number of calories.

It's much easier to stick with a 1600 cal/day diet if you're not hungry all the time..

• brazilianfootwork Rookie 140 posts since
    Jul 6, 2004
    4. May 3, 2006 9:35 PM (in response to HErbenator)

ive heard that if you eat little meals every few hours, instead of three solid meals, your metabolism keeps working, which also burns calories, which is ideal for weight-loss. three members of my family went to a nutritionist lately and they're on a "clean-diet" and they have to eat 6-7 times a day and work out. i think it's working, last time i spoke to them. also, maybe if you did weight-lifting, that would help, because muscles burn calories 24/7. gluck!

• CSuzette Rookie 290 posts since
    Apr 8, 2005
    5. May 4, 2006 9:39 AM (in response to HErbenator)

quote:

Originally posted by HErbenator:

Every time I ask how do you lose fat because I am excercising often and I don't lose any. People than say "the only way to lose weight is to use more calories than you are eating." Aren't there any other factors like protien, carbs, fats?

Of course what you eat matters. You can eat donuts and bagels all day or meats and veggies...at the same calorie levels, and lose weight eating the meat and gain weight eating the bagels.

Not only that, but eating donuts and bagels all day is not going to give you the necessary nutrients to build healthy bones and muscles.

It is ridiculous to say that only calories matter.

• this place is so lame035 Rookie 92 posts since
    Feb 21, 2006
    6. May 4, 2006 10:10 AM (in response to HErbenator)

quote:

Originally posted by CSuzette:

Not only that, but eating donuts and bagels all day is not going to give you the necessary nutrients to build healthy bones and muscles.

CSuzette, you eat three things; salmon, butter, and beef (and water). Do you claim that your diet of salmon, butter, and beef is sufficiently rich in nutrients?

Oh that's right, you take massive amounts of suppliment pills every day!   I guess your pathetic excuse for a diet is OK as long as you pound suppliments all day.  Would you care to elaborate on why it's OK for YOU to suppiment your nutrient-lacking diet, but others, who may choose a different nutrient-lacking diet, cannot get away with it?

Feb 21, 2006
    7. May 4, 2006 10:12 AM (in response to HErbenator)

quote:

It is ridiculous to say that only calories matter.

It's ridiculous to say that calories is not the single most important factor.   So I guess I don't necessarily disagree with your quote.

Feb 21, 2006
    8. May 4, 2006 10:21 AM (in response to HErbenator)

quote:

Originally posted by HErbenator:

Every time I ask how do you lose fat because I am excercising often and I don't lose any. People than say "the only way to lose weight is to use more calories than you are eating." Aren't there any other factors like protien, carbs, fats?

The only way to lose weight is to use more calories than you are eating. That fact is based on the law of conservation of energy, and it cannot be violated, ever. Don't believe anyone who tells you differently.

That being said, establishing a healthy calorie deficit is not a trivial matter for everyone.  Factors such as the slowing of metabolism as one restricts calories and the underestimation of calories burned while exercising can lead to frustration unless the dieter understands what's happening.

Then there's ubiquitous complaint that "I can't lose those last few pounds!"   Of course what's required is a further reduction in calories.  As you lose weight, your base metabolic rate goes down, as well as the calories burned per unit exercise time (due to lugging around less weight).  In my own experience, the last few pounds were difficult to lose because I stopped dieting before I had lost them!  Sure, the tendency is to celebrate the new, slimmer you, after losing 30-lbs, but before losing the last 10.  But it's all about restricting calories, at all stages in the weight loss process.

Apr 8, 2005
    9. May 4, 2006 11:05 AM (in response to HErbenator)

quote:

Originally posted by this place is so lame:

CSuzette, you eat three things; salmon, butter, and beef (and water). Do you claim that your diet of salmon, butter, and beef is sufficiently rich in nutrients?

Oh that's right, you take massive amounts of suppliment pills every day! I guess your pathetic excuse for a diet is OK as long as you pound suppliments all day. Would you care to elaborate on why it's OK for YOU to suppiment your nutrient-lacking diet, but others, who may choose a different nutrient-lacking diet, cannot get away with it?

You may have missed the explanation of why I need to take supplements. I have a problem with migraines. If I could eat organ meats, which I can't because they contain carbs and a certain chemical that can cause migraines, I don't believe that I would need take supplements. However, if you run my diet through Fitday you will see that it is only a little low in folic acid and magnesium...which I am easily able to supplement...and which lots of people supplement that are not on my diet.

Other supplements I take are "nice to have" targeted nutrients that I think will make me healthier and run faster...but they are not necessarily required for life.

And, the problem with others that are eating a junk-filled diet is that all of the supplements in the world are not going to undo the harm that the junk they are eating has caused.

TE and I have noticed that the benefits of the high-fat diet are cummulative...which means that the benefits become greater over time.

Let's see...TE was able to increase his efficiency in a 5 mile race by a whopping 45 seconds per mile over his best time last year.  All due to a terrific training plan and the high-fat diet!

Feb 21, 2006
    10. May 4, 2006 11:16 AM (in response to HErbenator)

quote:

Let's see...TE was able to increase his efficiency in a 5 mile race by a whopping 45 seconds per mile over his best time last year. All due to a terrific training plan and the high-fat diet!

How do you decide how much of that 45 seconds to attribure to the diet and how much to attribute to the training? You can't, so it's a useless point like everything else you post here.

Furthermore, it's a proven fact that in order to achieve success in distance racing you need carbs.  You ignore this fact, and your opinion is useless now and will always be useless until you snap out of your carb-deficit-induced stupor.

Apr 8, 2005
    11. May 4, 2006 3:26 PM (in response to HErbenator)

quote:

How do you decide how much of that 45 seconds to attribure to the diet and how much to attribute to the training? You can't, so it's a useless point like everything else you post here.

Furthermore, it's a proven fact that in order to achieve success in distance racing you need carbs. You ignore this fact, and your opinion is useless now and will always be useless until you snap out of your carb-deficit-induced stupor.

I could say the same about your sugar-induced haze !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

Well, some of it is certainly related to the training, but I believe TE would agree that he wouldn't be able to train like he is unless he lost the 35 pounds that the diet allowed him to lose...and basically he has been running increasing injury free...after getting rid of residual injuries from before the diet.

Sort of a chicken/egg thing.

• totaleffort Rookie 280 posts since
    Feb 10, 2006
    12. May 4, 2006 3:40 PM (in response to HErbenator)

quote:

Furthermore, it's a proven fact that in order to achieve success in distance racing you need carbs. You ignore this fact, and your opinion is useless now and will always be useless until you snap out of your carb-deficit-induced stupor.

____

Eat whatever you want but please spare me the carb mantra as I lived it for over 35 years of running.Now I do it the low carb way and any success I have had has only been enhanced since the diet change.In effect the low carb me would destroy the high carb me of 2 years ago at any distance...I'm the one doing the diet and the races.

Sure hard training is part of it (which C.S .mentioned) but the impact of a diet can be cumulative just as any training schedule is.

As for calories , sure they count but of course what you eat is also a critical factor in any weight loss initiative.Have you ever know anyone on a diet that did not change some of the types of foods they ate ?

So let's keep an open mind on some of these absolutes and we might actually all learn a bit from each other.

• HSunshine Rookie 186 posts since
    Sep 15, 2003
    13. May 4, 2006 4:10 PM (in response to HErbenator)

quote:

Originally posted by totaleffort:

the low carb me would destroy the high carb me of 2 years ago at any distance...I'm the one doing the diet and the races.

I'd be interested to hear how much you've shaved off your marathon time since changing to a low-carb diet.  (Although I guess the first question is technically: have you done one since the switch?).

• divechief Legend 359 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    14. May 4, 2006 4:25 PM (in response to HErbenator)

quote:

I could say the same about your sugar-induced haze !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

Well, some of it is certainly related to the training, but I believe TE would agree that he wouldn't be able to train like he is unless he lost the 35 pounds that the diet allowed him to lose...and basically he has been running increasing injury free...after getting rid of residual injuries from before the diet.

Sort of a chicken/egg thing.

I agree it is a sort of chicken and egg thing. I never would have been able to qualify for, and run the Boston Marathon If I hadn't lost 60 pounds. I lost the weight on a high carb, low fat diet,

Last Month I qualified for next year's Boston marathon at Boston.  I ran Boston on a high carb low fat diet.

1 2 3 ... 15 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...