Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8913 Views 38 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2011 7:30 AM by BradenMommyof5 1 2 3 Previous Next
mommymudd Amateur 8 posts since
Aug 16, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 16, 2011 3:55 PM

This mommy started C25K 8/15/11 Will it last?

I'm a mom to 4 kids (my oldest is 6 and my youngest is 1). I'm heavy and out of shape. I run/walk on the treadmill in my bedroom. I had these grand illusions when I got my treadmill 4 months ago that I would be on it every day, in all my spare moments. Recently had a reality check: Not many spare moments when the kids are awake. So--Sunday evening at 10:30 pm I announced to my husband I would be up at 6:15 am on Monday and on the treadmill to start the C25K.

I did it, W1D1 with success. I went pretty slow though and was sore in the afternoon.Tomorrow is W1D2 and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm feeling really odd not doing anything today though. I know my body needs time to rest and heal. I'm sure I'll get used to it. I'll probably do W1 twice. I have a hard enough time running (I should be saying jogging--slowly) for 60 seconds...not sure I will be up to 90 after just 3 workouts.

I'm doubting that when I get to 3.1 miles that I will be running a 10 minute mile. I'm a worrier and I tend to talk myself out of things. I worry that I won't ever get any faster and I'll just slowly jog forever and it will all be very ineffective.

I've decided not to weigh myself. When I first started using my treadmill my dad told me to track my fitness by my increased stamina and endurance. He told me not to worry about what my weight was doing. I didn't listen and I got really discouraged when I had changed my eating habits and was on the treadmill 3-4 times a week but was gaining weight. I was so discouraged that I quit.

So now I have no weight loss goal. I have a 5k goal. My goal is the Turkey Trot 5k 11/24/11. I know that it's 3 months away but I have this feeling I will need the extra time! I hardly ever stick with anything so I am telling a lot of people about the Turkey Trot...I have at least 1 other person who will be participating with me--2 others are thinking about it. I can't let them down. That's my motivation to stick with it! Let's hope it lasts!

• growlerius Pro 74 posts since
    Aug 15, 2009
    1. Aug 16, 2011 6:36 PM (in response to mommymudd)
    Re: This mommy started C25K 8/15/11 Will it last?

Your body will probably surprise you!!  Just let it do its thing and see how fast you get.  You have to start slow!

There are some great threads for C25K support...this one is for 8/8 starters:

http://community.active.com/thread/171556/

You'll find lots of doubts as well as support here.  Just hop in, announce that you started 8/15 and join the club!  There are usually people who repeat weeks or days, so I'll bet there are some on the exact same schedule as you're on.

Totally understand the difficulty of running with young kids, too.  My wife (who typically works 70 hrs/week) and I have a two year old, so I've been getting up at 5 to run for about a year now.  Because she's a teacher, during the summer I'll run from 5:30-6:30, she goes to the gym from 6:30-8 and then I'm into work at 9.  Kids make it a bit crazy!  Your body gets used to that, too.

Good luck! 

• and-she-ran Amateur 29 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Aug 16, 2011 7:41 PM (in response to mommymudd)

Hi mommymudd!

Welcome to the program

I completely understand when you say you are a worrier, I am just the same. I am currently up to W2D3 and I was only just looking at W5D3 (again) wondering how I was ever going to do this but I think that is half the fun... Having a little doubt in your mind and then achieving what you thought you couldn't. I think it's good that we can surprise ourselves sometimes!!

I thought the jump from 60secs to 90 secs was going to be a shock but I barely noticed the change which was very motivating!

And don't worry about the speed thing... A faster pace will come in time!

Good luck with your C25K journey, I can't wait to hear how you are going!

About Me
    Read more about my journey to get healthy, learn to run and find myself at And She Ran...

• LittleEvo Amateur 23 posts since
    Aug 17, 2011
    3. Aug 17, 2011 1:42 PM (in response to and-she-ran)
    Hi mommymudd!  It looks like you and I started on the same day! Like you I have children a 7yr old and a 8 yr old and never feel like I have any time, so I get up extra early at 5:15am to warm up before jumping on the treadmill. I completed Week 1 Run 2 today and am feeling really proud of myself and will do Run 3 on Friday. I'm feeling really motivated right now and even more so after finding this forum so maybe we can help keep each other going!
  • allmylove Expert 51 posts since
    Apr 24, 2011
    4. Aug 18, 2011 1:23 PM (in response to mommymudd)

Sure it can last!  Hi, I'm a mommy of 4 also, 10, 9, 9, and 5.  DS is 5 and likes to stand right behind me on the treadmill while I'm trying very hard to concentrate, and puts things on the moving belt to watch them fly off lol.  Its hard to make them understand that the treadmill is "me" time, and the really little ones just won't get it.

I started on the street, without the treadmill, gasping for air by 30-45 seconds of intervals in the 1st week wondering how in the world I was going to do week 2.  I admit, i did have to take some time off and do something different till I got the treadmill, but its much better now.  Done with week 5, just finished yesterday with the 20 minute run.  Key is, just don't let your mind tell your body what it can and can't do.  Our minds have had years of self negative talk that said "i'm not running even if you paid me and had a gun pointed in my direction" If you feel your breathing is out of control, then slow down some but don't stop till that interval is done.

Aug 17, 2011
    6. Aug 18, 2011 11:58 PM (in response to mommymudd)
    Today was week 1 run 3 for me and I woke up late this morning, although I was still hoping to be done before the kids got up. I had about 8 minutes left when they came downstairs and within those eight minutes I counted how many times they said ''mom'' and it was eighteen times. (rolls eyes upward) lol  Make me more determined to not oversleep because it's so much harder when the kids want your attention too and as mommymudd says they don't understand this is 'mom time.' But I feel really proud I have stuck with it this week and am looking forward to Monday believe it or not and to the people on this thread and forum for the encouragement and support!
  • DjPaTcHeS Amateur 16 posts since
    Jun 13, 2011
    8. Aug 19, 2011 1:39 PM (in response to mommymudd)

Don't be afraid to repeat a week.

I repeated almost every week at least once while I was doing C25K.  and I stuck with it up until I had the 20 minute run.  As soon as I did the 20 minute run, then next workout day I ran for 30 minutes, and ever since I have been just running for distance.

Stick to the running as best as life allows, and I promise you you won't regret it!

Patrick

• nikkicarr1 Legend 314 posts since
    Apr 28, 2009
    9. Aug 20, 2011 12:51 AM (in response to mommymudd)

being a mom of little ones that need so much attention at this point in life truely does make it hard to run sometimes...you have to make sure your husband knows this is important to you and that you want his support as well as his help.  I got tons of "support" to start running when I did but no help in fitting it into our life with kids until I demanded it.  Now he has no problem when I  lace up and head out no matter what time of day it is.  and you are correct not to be focused on weight at this point, just follow the program and maintain good low fat/ high protien intake with good hydration and the rest will fall into place.

Pop over to http://www.momsrunthistown.com and see if there are any running moms in your area to meet up with, and if not hey thats fine to you can connect with us running moms for support online too we are on Facebook there is the national page and then state pages as well

Good luck and dont be hard on yourself

http://www.active.com/donate/PawsoverPittsburgh/nikkicarr

COMPLETED

2009: Opperation Troop Appreciation 5k oct 29:44 (first race), Greensburg Turkey Trot 5k nove 31:09

2010: On Deck for the Cure sprint 1mi 1-4 9:00, Race for Grace 5k 3-20 32:11, Yough River Council 1/2 marathon 4-10 2:16:39 (goal for 1st 1/2 2:25) 3rd in AG, Pittsburgh Komen Race for the Cure 5k 5-9 30:08, Jerry Mahar Jr Parkinsons Awareness 5k 6-5-10 29:28 6th in AG

Las Vegas Rock N Roll Marathon 12-5 5:01:?? FIRST FULL MARATHON (with calf tear)

2011: Race for Grace 5k 3-19 30:56, Alpha Fitness 5k 4-9 28:57 8th in AG, Pittsburgh Half Marathon 5-14 2:17:52, 9/11 Heroes Run 5k 9-11 27:34 (PR) 5th in AG, Pittsburgh ZooZilla 5k 10-2 28:03, Greenburg 5k Turkey Trot 11-24 28:35

NEXT PLANNED EVENT: Race for Grace 5k 3-31-2012, Pittsburgh Marathon 5-6-2012, Great Race 10K 9-30-2012

Aug 17, 2011
    10. Aug 21, 2011 11:29 PM (in response to nikkicarr1)
    My alarm went off at 5:15am this morning and I immediately thought I will lay here for five more minutes, and despite thinking this I got up anyways and went downstairs and turned on the treadmill before starting my stretching and turning on my ipod. I didn't allow myself to think about it or to talk myself out of it, I just did it. And I completed Week 2 Run 1 today! I had to force myself not to look down and wonder when those extra thirty seconds of running would be over and simply waited for Laura to tell me. And who knew only thirty little seconds could make it feel so much harder?!? But I did it and today my husband is starting the C25K as well!
  • undomial Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 22, 2011
    11. Aug 22, 2011 5:45 AM (in response to mommymudd)

I just wanted to let you know that it is all worth it.  I have an 8 yr old and a 3 yr old, and could never find the time or motivation.  Early Summer or Late Spring, my husband downloaded Robert Ullryes C25K, and we both started the program.  I loved that it is only every other day.  I love even more that if a week is hard, or if the weather doesn't cooperate, or if we are up all night with a sick/grumpy toddler, that we can repeat a week!  Which we did when our heat index was over 100 for 3 weeks straight!  I still ran early a.m., but getting to pace was hard!  I don't run on a treadmill.  Being outside motivates me more, and is my only quiet time.  I think getting on a scale is a good idea though.  Maybe not at first, but once you feel a change in how your clothes fit, it's good to see your weight, so you can really SEE that muscle does way more (I know "they" say that, but seeing is believing to me).......I've lost 55 pounds in the past 4 months, but am wearing clothes as if I lost another 20.  I do lift weights on the alternate days, just in my home, just little 5 pounders.  I LOVE couch to 5K.....so much in fact that today I started the Couch to 8k.  Now I am in pain today.  And if I can do it, then I know you can too!  Keep up the great work

• undomial Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 22, 2011
    13. Aug 22, 2011 6:07 PM (in response to mommymudd)

How wonderful that you found the time!  It can be so hard when you have little ones, especially if you don't get sleep.  So many mornings I'm too tired, and I'll do it after my hubby gets home, and then dinner is later and the whole routine is off, all because I can't get up!  I envy that you can run on a treadmill.  Oddly, I lose my balance on them.  But if I lived in bear country, I don't know if I'd ever be brave enough to run outside!  I carry pepper spray for dogs, and that is about as brave as I could get.

I don't know if you have On Demand, or if it has the same choices, but if you are looking for a great 5 lb weight workout, try Jillian Michaels, Target Trouble Zones.  It is mostly arms, but she does lots of core in it too.  You constantly are moving your legs in lunges or squats, but most of those I don't do quite as far, as I just don't have the knees for it.  But it is a great weight work out!

I'm so glad you have a great support system!  Don't underestimate yourself, we are stronger than anyone can ever know!

Aug 17, 2011
    14. Aug 23, 2011 1:55 AM (in response to mommymudd)
    Hi mommymudd and good for you for getting on the treadmill! Like you right now I am not weighing myself as I don't want to get discouraged. I have been on a diet for a while and I know I am losing weight as I have to pull out a smaller pair of trousers when the othesr fall off me or my tshirts or hanging on me like a sack of potatoes and I feel like this works for me until I feel ready to look at those scales. I also have five pound weights to do a upper body workout on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I guess great minds think alike! lol Roll on Wednesday because we can do it! lol
1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points