Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5156 Views 86 Replies Latest reply: Jun 6, 2006 8:52 AM by ladypink RSS 1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next
NurseSarahB Rookie 45 posts since
Feb 8, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

May 11, 2006 11:46 PM

"Kill the Sweet Tooth" Challenge!

I'm told that you can lose your sweet tooth completely by abstaining from concentrated sweets for a time. Seeing as how I CRAVE chocolate and other sweets and I eat some disgustingly unhealthy sugary thing at least once a day I am considering giving this theory a try. I will abstain from all concentrated sweets (baked goods, chocolate, added sugar of any type -- including juice, but not including whole fruit) for 21 days (based on the 21 days to make a habit theory....I'm hoping it's the brain's "magic number"). I hope that at the end of the 21 days I will be free of my slavery to sugar. If not....well, pass the brownie sundae. Anyone want to join me? I haven't decided on a start date yet. It will be soon but I'll definitely need moral support -- I'm an addict.

• Wolf000 Rookie 47 posts since
    Mar 27, 2005
    1. Dec 21, 2007 6:05 PM (in response to NurseSarahB)
    Re: "Kill the Sweet Tooth" Challenge!

I am totally with you... do we have to start now?  Wow, this is going to be hard as I eat honey DAILY!  And dark chocolate!  But I am going to see if I can replace fruit with the normal sugary stuff I eat.  So you are figuring June 1st?  The no-no list consists of chocolate, straight/added sugar, sweets, candy, cookies (mmm cookies), and any other horrible stuff. 

Can I still eat peanut butter? That has to be allowed!

Cheers to us!

----

Amanda

[http://This message has been edited by Wolf000 (edited May-12-2006).|http://This message has been edited by Wolf000 (edited May-12-2006).]

Mar 27, 2005
    3. May 12, 2006 12:17 AM (in response to NurseSarahB)

I just read my post and I meant June 1st as our end date... hehehe.  But it totally sounded as if I meant start date! 

Monday works even better for me as I am heading back to SF to see my mother (who has candy EVERYWHERE in her apartment). Now I can safely eat a few handfuls of stuff and then begin on Monday.

I was never a big juice person, so I am good with giving that up. And your guidelines sound perfect.

Any other takers???

----

Amanda

• ceperr07 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 30, 2005
    4. May 12, 2006 12:41 AM (in response to NurseSarahB)

I would definitely love to try

I'm going to italy on sunday, so I might have to wait until after I come back to start :-P mmm gelato

but as soon as I come back, I'm in!

• RunrWife Rookie 37 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. May 12, 2006 5:23 AM (in response to NurseSarahB)

Count me in... And Monday the 15th is a great day to start for me too. Hubbie going out of town for two weeks so there will be no cookies handy.. Giving up the oatmeal breakfast bars before my a.m. runs will be the hardest.. Any ideas on what to replace that quick a. m. jump start with? (I run at 5:45 a.m. T-W-Th) Can't eat much but need something to get me going...

• Alemma Rookie 190 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. May 12, 2006 9:06 AM (in response to NurseSarahB)

I'm totally in.  I will be sure to load up on my sweets the day before on Mother's Day.  But starting Monday, I'll go for it.  Warning, I may fail this challenge!

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

Dec 14, 2007
    7. May 12, 2006 9:07 AM (in response to NurseSarahB)

RunrWife - oatmeal breakfast bars has sugar in it?  Are you sure?  Dang.  This is going to be harder than I thought.

How about a banana before your a.m. run? Is that allowed?

----

Mar 27, 2005
    8. May 12, 2006 10:52 AM (in response to NurseSarahB)

quote:

Originally posted by Alemma:

Warning, I may fail this challenge!

I may fail it with you... with a cookie in one hand and some chocolate in the other. Hehehe...

I think I am going to look at this as if it were a sweet 'fast' of sorts. I can't image myself totally giving up dark chocolate!

----

Amanda

• donlibes Rookie 167 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. May 12, 2006 12:00 PM (in response to NurseSarahB)

quote:

Originally posted by NurseSarahB:

... I wanted to ask others what they thought ....

I think our guideline is to ask ourselves: Does this contain added corn syrup or sugar? If it does, then don't eat it! Also, as I said, fruit juice is pretty much pure sugar even if it's 100% real juice, so that's a no-no as well.

Since you're asking for other's thoughts ... the whole idea sounds fascinating but ....

Do you have a link to any kind of a study showing (or even a theory as to why) abstinence can stop a sweet tooth. Or is that just based on a friend's theory or anecdote? (You said you heard it somewhere, right?) Do you actually know anyone who has done this?

And what's to stop one from regaining a sweet tooth in the future? Even assuming you lose your sweet tooth, unless you know how to avoid regaining it, aren't you likely to just regain it the next time you have a piece of cake?

I'd also like to hear more about your theory as to why its sufficient to avoid sugar, added sugar, and corn syrup. There are many other intensely sweet things - most whole fruits (well, good quality whole fruit anyway!) are just as sweet as any candy and even vegetables can be sweet to the tongue.

Even if not sweet to the tongue, many foods (bread, rice, pasta, etc.) are quickly broken down in the gut and can cause blood sugar spikes, creating a rebound affect that creates a desire for sugary food.

So...
    - Are you going to cut out all sweet foods?
    - Are you going to cut out all GL-foods?
    - Are you going to cut out all artificial sweeteners (aspartame, splenda, etc)?

Which of these you decide to cut out depends on what your theory is of the sweet tooth.  For example, if you decide it's a "taste" thing, then you don't need to cut out the GL-foods.  But if it's a gut thing, you don't need to cut out aspartame, etc.

• Knight0053 Rookie 8 posts since
    May 12, 2006
    12. May 12, 2006 2:17 PM (in response to NurseSarahB)

I am afraid that I may be the bearer of ill news.  I ceased any and all refined carbohydrate consumption more than six months ago and must say that the desire for a nice piece of banana or cranberry bread never truly disappears -- it does grow easier, however, as one's resolve progresses.  The first week is the most interesting by far, though thereafter it becomes markedly easier as one establishes new norms in eating.  If you can stick with it for a month and find a way to enjoy the new methodology you can most certainly do it indefinitely as well I believe  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

Alemma -- I find bananas fantastic pre-run as they're light, low in fibre (quickly digested thus), and rather high glycemic-index-wise relatively speaking. They also contain a bit of fat as well as numerous minerals to keep you going.

donlibes -- Whole fruit tends to elicit rather low glycemic / insulin response. White bread, however, is just as bad as table sugar or maltodextrin. Some pastas approach that level as well, though whole grain products are usually a bit lower on the scale if not refined so much. Rice is yet again a bit lower -- yet all of these items are considerably higher than whole fruit. For comparison, traditional glycemic index charts tend to place an apple between 3 and 6 GI, whereas one would usually find refined white bread between 95GI and 120GI. Bananas are about as high-GI as fruit goes at 10 - 12. Vegetables tend to be sub-10. Again, this is with a traditional GI chart -- they vary widely in slope of GI value versus response.

Best Wishes, Cheers, Keep Flying !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!
    Knight

Dec 14, 2007
    13. May 12, 2006 2:22 PM (in response to NurseSarahB)

NurseSarahB - I like your proposal as is.  I don't think you have to already know all the answers beforehand.  If you did, the challenge wouldn't be necessary.  This is just my humble opinion, but I think some of us, like me, could potentially learn from this challenge.

Back in the 80s, when I was a teenager, I drank way too many sodas. This was before, people were even concerned about drinking too much sodas. I decided to do an experiment on my own and not drink any sodas for 30 days. It was extremely hard at first, because I believe I was addicted to sodas. But at the end of 30 days, I had no desire to drink a soda. And 17 years later, I still do not drink sodas. If I'm at a potluck or something like that where there is only soda, I can drink one, but I don't have a desire to drink anymore.

Shortly after kicking the soda habit, I decided to see if it would work on chocolate. So I did the same experiement for 30 days, and lo and behold, I haven't eaten chocolate since. I have no desire to eat chocolate at all.

However, I am definitely a sweets person and it does seem like I am looking for something sweet to eat everyday. Participating in your 3-week challenge sounds like a perfect experiment for me. Although, I would absolutely have to be totally committed to it for the entire 3 weeks...no cheating at all...to discover the real outcome for me. Hopefully, we can all be a source of inspiration to each other! !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

----

• starpine13 Rookie 21 posts since
    Sep 24, 2005
    14. May 12, 2006 2:41 PM (in response to NurseSarahB)

Count me in; when I saw your topic I guiltily realized that you wrote this for me. I have to do this. What about dried fruit - should it be on the no list too? The fifteenth sounds like a good day to start.
    Great idea. Hard, maybe, but great.

1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...