Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

3292 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 27, 2011 7:46 PM by emmahudson88
AlanpWagstaff Rookie 2 posts since
Aug 17, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 17, 2011 11:10 AM

Brakes on Aero bars?

I was wondering why Triathlon bikes don't put brakes on the aero bars. It seems like a simple enough mechanical change and was hoping someone out there knew why the brakes didn't move with the shifters.

Thanks

Alan

• BT.ROB Legend 271 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    1. Aug 17, 2011 4:04 PM (in response to AlanpWagstaff)
    Re: Brakes on Aero bars?

Alan:

The simple answer is that they are attached to the aerobars. I think you mean why aren't they on the extensions with the shifters. Aerobars are usually set up this way: A bar is attached to the stem; this bar is either flat on top or a round bar like typical road bars. Instead of having drop bars curving down like a typiical road bike it curves forward and generally a bit up at the ends. The brake levers attach to the end of the bars. Your extensions with armrests are either an integrated part of the bars or an attachment. The shift levers are at the end of these extensions. Now, I suppose someone could design a brake/shift system for the extension ends but I see a couple of problems with it. First, if you have to brake it is safer to have your hands at the furthest extent to the side for stability. Why are you braking in a TT? Usually on corners or downhills where control is paramount. Second, I would guess from an aero perspective, having this kind of shifter on the extensions may be slightly "dirty" compared to the current setups. Finally, as most people in TT position have their hands wrapped around the shift levers or right behind them, it is easier to shift with your finger than taking your hands off the bar to push a lever (in road bike position, hands on hoods is easy to push the levers in).

With the advent of electronic shifting, I could see doing away with the shift levers on the extensions and moving the brake levers there (although again you want greater stability when braking) and using buttons for electronic shifting.

BT

• Moriates Legend 297 posts since
    Jul 19, 2008
    2. Aug 23, 2011 7:42 AM (in response to AlanpWagstaff)

HED has a third break system in which you have an adaptor that puts the third break lever at the extensions for the rear break.  I will say, not needed.

GREG C. MORIATES

Owner/Coach - LET ME HELP YOU ACHIEVE GREATNESS!

GCM Endurance

www.GCMEndurance.com

Team/Club Xtreme Multisports, Inc.

www.xtrememultisports.com

Blog: http://xtrememultisports.tumblr.com/

Become a Fan: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Xtreme-Multisports/117254468321101?ref=sgm

Twitter: http://twitter.com/xtrememulti

Sponsors:

VCRC Bikes | FFWD | Synergy Sports| SportMulti | Skins USA | Rudy Project | Athletes Honey Milk | Honey Stinger | Tri Life Gear

• car2nwallaby Amateur 21 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Sep 27, 2011 7:07 PM (in response to AlanpWagstaff)

One more reason: physics.  When you brake, you keep going forward while your wheels are slowing down.  That creates a torque that could flip you over the handlebars, and the best way to avoid this is to keep your center of mass back.  In aero position your center of mass is too far forward, so if you applied much braking force you'd go right over.  If you pay attention while braking, you'll notice that you move back on the seat naturally, which you can't do in the bars. I haven't seen this HED 3rd brake system, but braking with the rear wheel creates much less torque, although it's also less effective at slowing you down.

• emmahudson88 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 27, 2011
    5. Sep 27, 2011 7:46 PM (in response to BT.ROB)

Thank you so much for your post.

Watch 50/50 Movie Online Free

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points