Skip navigation

7357 Views 39 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2006 3:34 AM by MaryMarin RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
Marc frey Rookie 3 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 12, 2004 7:22 PM

Nutritional Supplements

I have run a few marathons and finished a bunch of sprint triathlons.  I am gearing up to compete in an Ironman in 05. I have never take any drugs/vitamins (other than my adult Flinstones) at all.  I've tried to eat a balanced diet. What do people think about nutritional supplements found at GNC or from Advocare and the like to enhance performance, energy, or recovery?

• ann_marie_99 Amateur 18 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Oct 12, 2004 9:28 PM (in response to Marc frey)
    Re: Nutritional Supplements

Personally, I think that taking Glucosamine/Chrondoitin (sp?) supplements helps my knees.  They tend to crackle when I don't take the supplements, and the crackling usually goes away after a week or two of taking the pills.

My husband is a big fan of fish oil for Omega-3 fatty acids.  I think it's gross.

Also, we have had good luck with Accelerade for long training days.  It doesn't taste very good, but the protein in the mix does seem to help with endurance and recovery.  I like it half-strength, with ice making up the other half.  It tastes much better cold, and my stomach doesn't complain when it's diluted a bit.

• ncaj77 Amateur 13 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Feb 5, 2005 4:02 PM (in response to Marc frey)

For muscle recover and enduance I use Itegris's Risotriene and Kona gold

• ncaj77 Amateur 13 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Feb 6, 2005 2:56 PM (in response to Marc frey)

Dr Rosenfeld say's that fish oil is better then eating fish because it doesn't have any mercury in it, he also say's that hawthorn herb may be good for a strong heart

• brewcrew0031 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Mar 28, 2005 3:14 PM (in response to Marc frey)

I would recommend a much better multivitamin from GNC such as Ultra Mega Gold...its all natural so it will get digested as compared to centrums and other one-a-days, that acutally just sit in yer stomache and dont get absorbed becuase of how synthetic they are.  also the glucosamine chondrition does work real well for joints...when taking 1500 Gluc. and 1200 Chod.  also GNC sells Accelerade and Endurox...both very good pre and post run drinks...to load carbs and replace carbs and protein....ive been working at a GNC for a couple years now and these are just some products to get a good start....GOOD LUCK

• coxwithane Pro 97 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Mar 31, 2005 4:16 PM (in response to Marc frey)

I'm glad to see someone on here who actually admits to working for GNC. Something about that store has bothered me for years now, and I'm hoping you can shed some light.

On the one hand, they bill themselves as super healthy places that sell all these awesome, all natural supplements that are sooo great for you. On the other hand, however, they also sell the fad diet pills that just seem uber-crazy. The fact that they sell the fad stuff makes me doubt the quality of everything in the store.

So how are you supposed to know that what you're getting is really all that much better than what you could buy at Sam's Club or the drugstore?

Thanks,

Amy

• brewcrew0031 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Apr 3, 2005 9:11 PM (in response to Marc frey)

I agree totally that some of the crap we sell is exactly that, crap.  and i tell people that...but we also sell some very worthy supplements...some of them our not even our companies products...i think it is a little rediculous as to what kind of garbage we sell in our stores but sadly i have no say in that....there is a select few products that are actually worth getting...but when you are comparing something such as a gnc gluco/chond to a generic brand, the only difference is the quality of the actual ingredients....some companies will put fillers in and charge you for it since the supplement industry is (sadly) not FDA monitored...but when comparing our multi's to something like a centrum...theres no comparison...this is becuase of how synthetic they are...at my university (I'm a fitness major with strength and conditioning minor) we get cadvar's in that still have centrums (and other

one-a-day's) still in their stomache undigested!  but i know there are other quality multi's out there but GNC's is the only one i know of off hand...good points tho..and i agree with you with the fad-diet garbage and other crap we sell...you wouldnt believe how many obese people come in and ask to buy some diet pills and expect the weight to just "fall off" by sitting around...its sad!

• akidd03 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    7. May 20, 2005 12:54 PM (in response to Marc frey)

I totally believe in the RIGHT nutritional supplements - taken in moderation - and eating the proper nutrition. Both my husband and I have benefited tremendously from a daily nutritional regimen and good healthy supplements. Only take what you need for you. With the help of supplements and a good balanced meal plan I lost 8 pounds in 10 days and 40 pounds in 8 months - and kept it off for over 2 years! My husband lost weight, lowered his cholesterol and his blood pressure. His doctor has taken him off bp medication and he's now on diuretics. So this stuff works!

• seebohar Amateur 32 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    8. May 20, 2005 8:35 PM (in response to Marc frey)

Proper foods based on timing and quantity along with sports supplements for endurance athletes (energy bars, gels and sports drinks) should be the only "supplements" necessary for attaining success at an Ironman.

Other "supplements" could be added to the diet based on medical/health history, food allergies/intolerances, or diet deficiencies.

• peterfenn Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    9. May 31, 2005 9:31 AM (in response to Marc frey)

I can vouch for these, the only ones that I use. I can feel these working immediatly. http://www.bocaultra.com/

I take the greencell and the male balance myself

• Challan116 Rookie 14 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    10. May 31, 2006 12:05 PM (in response to Marc frey)

I use www.JPDistributor.com to get my Juice Plus+. I have been using it for years. I played three sports in college and I dont think I would have ever been able to keep up my level of engery and fitness without it.

Chris

• lilliepad Rookie 18 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    11. Jun 8, 2006 8:15 AM (in response to Marc frey)

I am not a top notch sports person but the supplement I recommend is immune 26.  It's based on hyperimmune egg and since egg is all protein, is a real food and is in powder form it is easily absorbed by the body.  It also has anti inflammatory proponets which helps the body recover faster. Great for stamina and endurance.

http://www.yourimmunehealth.com

• trihardsteph Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    12. Jun 15, 2006 7:36 AM (in response to Marc frey)

I think the person who originally started this topic wasn't looking for a few of you to shamelessly plug your products or websites! These Forums are designed for people to give and get advice to each other and many "newbies" and others take the advice to heart.. quit plugging and give some real advice!

thanks to the honest GNC employee, this was NOT directed at you

And products that are worthy of mentioning will be done by real people who do find them to help... they won't need to be endorsed in the way you have seen in a few of the above posts! Just take the advice here with a grain of salt and ask a doctor who specializes with athletes in your field of training, they should either be able to tell you what your body specifically needs or point you in the direction of a nutritionist that will asses your needs. As far as the ironman goes, find out what gels and drinks they'll have on your race and try to acclimate your body to them. Good luck!!

• lilliepad Rookie 18 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    13. Jun 18, 2006 9:21 AM (in response to Marc frey)

I understand I am the recipient of the above post.  I also highly endorse my product, otherwise, why would I sell it?  Immune 26 balances the immune system.  I have been taking this supplement since 2002 with great results.

I have less pain, stiffness and more energy and greater stamina.  Why would it not work for athletes?  Are we not allowed to endorse a product that works.  If you have an issue with me profiting from immune 26, I will give you the name of another distributor from which I will make no financial profit.  This product has over 100 patents and is listed in the Physicians Desk Reference for Non prescription Drugs and Supplements.  It also offers a 90 day money back guarantee.  BTW, I am a doctor.

• gojitrain Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    14. Jun 22, 2006 9:10 PM (in response to Marc frey)

I have been training and raceing for sometime, my day starts and ends with the most nutritionally-dense food on earth. This Juice was formulated by Dr Earl Mindell (author of the Vitamin Bible and founder of The Great Earth Vitamin chain) Himalayan Goji Juice will definately increase you endurance, reduce recovery time, help you sleep and just FEEL BETTER.

I am not a Doctor or a nutritionist, but there are hundres of both that recommend Himalayan Goji Juice. The reason I started drinking it was the 90 day money back Guarantee and a friend of mine refered it to me when I was training for the Honolulu Marathon.

It you want to try it, at cost check this website out,

www.34reasonswhy.com

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...