Skip navigation

1191 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2011 8:49 PM by lenzlaw RSS
justamaniac Legend 192 posts since
May 30, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 18, 2011 4:49 PM

I need some input to my marathon training

I'm running my first marathon in Oct (Chicago).  I've run several 14 milers, 16 miles twice, an 18, and today 20 miles.  Today's 20 miler pretty much did me in - I had to walk the better part of the last 2 miles. My question:  instead of taking next week as a "light" week (see training schedule below), should I go for another 20 miler next week?

Upcoming long run schedule:

next week:  13 miles

next:  18.5 miles (I've registered for a 30K event as a dress rehersal for the marathon...I'd like to not use this run as a full-out experiment)

next:  12 miles

next:  20 miles

next:  12 miles

next:  8 miles

next:  marathon

I want to make sure that I have "the juice" to do all 26.2 miles.  Today did nothing to instill any confidence in my ability to do so, thus I'm wondering if I should give it another go before the 30K event.

All comments welcome.

thx

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,391 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Aug 18, 2011 7:11 PM (in response to justamaniac)
    Re: I need some input to my marathon training

No, follow your schedule.  There are a lot of reasons for your 20 being less than great.  Maybe you need that step-back week.  At any rate, you'll have good days and not-so-good days, and bad days.  This was a not-so-good day (on a bad day, you would have quit at 12 miles).  Accept that it wasn't all you would have liked, learn your lessons, and continue with your plan.

Also, avoid "racing" that 30K, it's a little too long.  Maybe go at training pace for most of it and do the last 4 or 5 miles at marathon pace.

And BTW, you DID finish 20 miles.

Len

Len

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Aug 19, 2011 6:29 AM (in response to justamaniac)

+1 on what Len wrote.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,391 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Aug 19, 2011 8:49 PM (in response to justamaniac)

Maybe you had a bad week at work and were a little more tired than usual.  Maybe you got a late start and it was warmer.  Maybe you didn't hydrate as well (can have a BIG effect).  Maybe your pace was a little faster (also big effect).  You've done two 16s and an 18, and got through 18 this time before slowing.  I think you'll be OK for the marathon.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points