Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

554 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Aug 20, 2011 8:00 PM by ptgrad2001
ptgrad2001 Rookie 7 posts since
Apr 8, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 20, 2011 8:00 PM

What is the best way to train for a 10K?

I have been a power walker for over 20 years, but am fairly new to running. Just started in January. I ran my first 5K in April and that is the longest distance I have been RUNNING consistently. I can go much farther distances, but I have to insert walks. My goal for this 10K is to finish w/o walking. My time is not important (or at least I'm telling myself that). I got a late start training b/c the race had been full and a few spots opened up two weeks ago. The event is Sept 17. Because of my work schedule (12+ hour days), my short runs have to be on the TM during the week and my long runs are road runs on Sat & Sun. Until today, my short & long runs have been about equal in distance (with respect to the running portion). I usually go a minimum of 10 miles on Sat but it includes walking. Today was a milestone for me and looked like this: RUN 5.36 miles in 53:18, then RUN 4.79 miles in 55:01 (including a 3 minute walk to start it off), stopped for bathroom break & hydration then WALK 2.88 miles in 41.51 (this was very slow...my walking pace is usually b/w 12:25 and 13:30, but I was battling bilat. calf cramps). Any advice on the best way to procede from this point out? Also, I have difficulty regulating my breathing when running. This is not an issue with my walks even at the 12:25 pace.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points