Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

814 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 26, 2011 12:48 PM by ladyrunner84 RSS
Miriam's RAD! Rookie 1 posts since
Jan 16, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 22, 2011 3:40 PM

Stress Fractures

Hi all! I've recently started running (over a year ago). I ran my first marathon last year in October and it was amazing! The problem I'm having is, I'm hoping, finding the right shoes. If not, I don't know what it is! I was diagnosed with stress fractures in my shins last year before my marathon and let them heal. But now I'm having the same pain and swelling. I just started training again and am so sad to think that I'm just not meant to run. I really enjoy it and want to find out why this keeps happening. I never had this issue as a kid and used to run a lot. But I do remember always having some sort of shin pain when I ran. I've gone to places to get tested for running and I've been told I need shoes to correct my pronating ankles. I thought I had to rights shoes this time but I keep having the same pain. I'm going back to my sports medicine MD tomorrow but was wondering if anyone might have any suggestions. I don't really "clomp" when I run so I'm not sure why I seem to have impact issues (if that is the case). Is there any place that would be better for shoe help? I've gone to Road Runners and Snails Pace. I'm in the Southern California area. Would my doctor be the person to suggest the right shoes? Thanks in advance!

• runn1ng4m3 Amateur 20 posts since
    Apr 28, 2009
    1. Aug 24, 2011 9:08 PM (in response to Miriam's RAD!)
    Re: Stress Fractures

If your running shoe store is actually selling you pronation control shoes then that should correct most of that problem.  Make sure you talk and work with someone who is very knowledgable about all the different types of models and foot types for that matter.  Assuming that is right, I would look up to your knees and hips.  It is possible that you have a modest leg length discrepency or altered Q angle which is causing your gait to be off-set.

Another option is to follow the barefoot craze.  I've ran in "normal" shoes for about 5 years fighting injuries along the way and it wasn't until that I started doing all of my training in more minimal shoes for the last year that I have stayed healthy.

As far as a sports MD being good about shoes, your guess will be as good as mine.  I know physicians that are ironmen and marathoners themselves and others struggle taking the stairs over the escalator.  You will have to do your own "mini interview" with them to see what they know.

I hope this helps.

• ladyrunner84 Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Aug 26, 2011 12:48 PM (in response to Miriam's RAD!)
    Re: Stress Fractures

I was just diagnosed with stress fractures today after a rough year of running injuries.

If you're a woman, it might we worth checking your hormone levels or getting a bone density scan.  My doctor is concerned that my irregular cycles have weakened my bones causing recurring injuries.  Just some food for thought!

I'll be writing about my test results and recovery on my blog at twinlane.blogspot.com if you're interested in following along.

Hope to hear you are pain-free soon.  I know how frustrating it is.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points