Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1808 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 24, 2011 7:50 AM by Jerri Davis RSS
Jerri Davis Pro 61 posts since
Aug 4, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 23, 2011 6:37 AM

Question for Women Runners Only....

Hello Ladies (or gentemen if you were brave enough to peruse this thread),

I have a questions regarding running/walking and your monthly cycle.  I know that I am in my PMS week this week and my energy is just zapped!  Does anyone else have a hard time completing the running portion of the training during this time.  I still walk fast (about 4mph) on the parts that I haven't been running, but feel like when I start to run I am going to fall over from the fatigue and the lower back pain!  Tylenol Rapid Release is my friend.  I have been taking them prior to starting my workout.  That seems to help about halfway through and I am able to run a couple of intervals at that point.  Please tell me this will go away in a week!!!!!

I appreciate any advice or insight!

Jerri

There are times in life when "I can't" becomes a dirty word. For me, that time is now!

I can do anything I set my mind to do.

I am strong beyond my own belief in myself.

I am loved beyond measure and without judgement or expectation by those who truly matter.

To all those who believe in me... Thank you!

To all those who doubt me... Sit back and watch!

To all those who want to join me... let's be friends!

• Mikala_SF Pro 87 posts since
    Apr 14, 2008
    1. Aug 23, 2011 9:48 AM (in response to Jerri Davis)
    Re: Question for Women Runners Only....

I haven't noticed anything consistent related to running and PMS but I know in general it zaps my energy and makes me feel all blech with cramps, water retention, etc.  Maybe try a little extra caffiene on those days?  I use AccelGels 15 minutes before a workout if I'm feeling like I need a little extra pep in my step.  Some of them have 40mg of caffiene and I'll eat those if I'm also feeling tired.

My weight loss blog, pictures, etc (started in 2007):

http://diaryofanaspiringloser.blogspot.com

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    2. Aug 23, 2011 10:04 AM (in response to Jerri Davis)

I notice it, yes.  PMS week I'm usually crabby in general and my energy is low, so working out is a struggle.  Also I get ovarian cysts that come and go, and the worst pain is when they have come for another visit.  When the pain is at its worst I have trouble walking let alone running so I just do whatever I can stand to do.

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• Dreamstate Legend 278 posts since
    Dec 1, 2009
    3. Aug 23, 2011 12:21 PM (in response to Jerri Davis)

I could write a book on what happens to me. I'm training for a half marathon and running around 20 to 25 miles per week but I struggle for 2 weeks each month. The week before and the first 2 days during the week of her visit.

The week before, you would think I've never exercised in my life. I literally feel heavy as a rock where the only position that's comfortable is lying down... asleep or eating EVERYTHING.  The first two days of the visit, I just want to die. I knew that this simply would not do - this break in my training - so I decided to do some research. I found two articles through some blogs that explained everything.

This one: http://www.runtheplanet.com/trainingracing/training/women/menstruation.asp

and this one: http://www.traxee.com/posts/704-how-your-period-effects-your-training

Great resources that explain what's going on and what you can and can't do about it. There are some days when it's just a loss... I can try to get out there and run and push myself, but in all honesty it's best if I just go to the gym and do what I can and that may not involve running. I found out which days are my "strong days" and my "ugh I just wanna die" days and my "I feel like crap but running WILL make me feel better" days. By monitoring the days on a calendar and making notes about how you feel on those days, you can best prepare for what to expect.

You're not alone. Good luck!

Completed Races 2012:

Rock and Roll USA Half Marathon, 02:54:26 (1st run POST injury)

Cherry Blossom 10-Miler, 01:49:00

====================================

Upcoming Races 2012:

IronGirl Half Marathon, 4/29/12

Frederick Half Marathon, 5/6/12

Atlantic City International Sprint Tri, 09/17/12

Rock and Roll Philly Half Marathon, 09/18/12

Baltimore Half Marathon, 10/13/12

Marine Corps Marathon, 10/28/12

ING NYC Marathon, 11/4/12

====================================

Personal Record from 2011:

Teach, Learn, Play 5k, 10/02/11 00:26:57 (PR)

Marine Corps Marathon 10k, 10/30/11 01:05:38 (PR)

Baltimore Half Marathon, 10/15/11, 02:24:15 (PR)

• cbls Amateur 23 posts since
    Aug 8, 2011
    4. Aug 23, 2011 1:52 PM (in response to Jerri Davis)

Yep, I'm feeling the same way, was supposed to start W6D1 today and I usually run in the morning but could not get out of bed no matter how many times I hit the snooze. I've been dragging all day but I'm about to go out and attempt the run now since I don't want to lose a day.  Caffeine doesn't really have an effect on me, I actually feel better when I have exercised so there's the catch - too tired to do what will make me feel better.  I'm hoping the exercise makes the first few days more tolerable and less achey.

Chris

• Mikala_SF Pro 87 posts since
    Apr 14, 2008
    5. Aug 23, 2011 9:07 PM (in response to Jerri Davis)

happened upon this tonight, thought it might help:

http://www.active.com/women/Articles/12-Yoga-Poses-to-Reduce-PMS.htm?cmp=17-1-1152

Yoga poses to reduce PMS.

My weight loss blog, pictures, etc (started in 2007):

http://diaryofanaspiringloser.blogspot.com

• KeachyMama Rookie 7 posts since
    Aug 18, 2011
    6. Aug 24, 2011 6:37 AM (in response to Jerri Davis)

ABSOLUTELY. I kept saying to my trainer last week "What the heck is wrong with me? It's like I have no stamina this week". His response was, thankfully, "It happens, keep pushing". I did, and by the end of the week I managed to get in a 5k training run. Friday night was the realization - "OH...THAT's why I've been dragging." (Hopefully not too much of an overshare, but this year my cycles are all over the place and I've stopped trying to predict, hence the not knowing.) But yes, those spans of time are god-awful in terms of stamina, drive, persistence...it just all takes a flying leap and makes all workouts, especially running, a struggle. I pushed through but really all I wanted to do was go home and curl up on the couch and watch trash tv. Hang in there.

Oh and thanks to Mikala_SF for the yoga link...I'm definitely going to try that.

KeachyMama's Runs & "Stuff"...

Hartford Xtreme Scramble #2 (5k), 07.28.2011 - 37:09 (1st race ever!)

Hartford Xtreme Scramble #3 (5k), 08.26.2011 - 40:37 (actually 3.45 miles)

Upcoming tbd

@KeachyMama on Twitter

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    7. Aug 24, 2011 6:47 AM (in response to Dreamstate)

Those articles were very informative, thank you Dreamstate!

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points