Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1525 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 24, 2011 6:11 PM by gojackets99 RSS
Jarviswabi Rookie 2 posts since
Aug 23, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 23, 2011 3:40 PM

GPS in Couch-to-5k App Unreliable?

I just installed the Couch-to-5k app on my iPhone 3GS the other day and jumped up to Week 2/Day 3 (I'd started the program without the app a couple weeks ago).  I love the voice prompts, saves me from having to constantly check my times and remember the intervals, but on the 2 runs I've done so far, the distance tracking is not even close.  The map showed only a tiny fraction of my route the first day, and about 1/3 today.  It's really frustrating because the app does everything else well, but if it can't reliable track my distance and time, what's the point?

I've used Nike+ and Runkeeper with this same phone on roughly the same route recently, and those both track very accurately, so I don't think it's my phone's GPS.  Anybody else had problems with the GPS tracking on the iPhone app?  Would love any advice people can offer.

• gojackets99 Amateur 7 posts since
    Jul 28, 2011
    1. Aug 24, 2011 8:08 AM (in response to Jarviswabi)
    Re: GPS in Couch-to-5k App Unreliable?

I just ran Week 6 Day 1 of the C25k program this morning.  I have done the program using the C25k app by Bluefin (I think?), and the Nike+ GPS app running in the background.  I too use an iPhone 3GS, so if you have downloaded the most recent iOS update from iTunes, you should be able to 'multitask' the apps.  I have found that the C25k app has been awesome for the interval timing and playing music for my runs, however, the GPS accuracy is nothing to be desired.  Furthermore, it is impossible to rely on the C25k app for pacing my runs.  It is my experience that the Nike+ GPS app does a better (not great) job at showing pace and the GPS tracks more accurately, however you can't set up any run/walk intervals with the Nike app preventing the ability to know when to run and when to walk without constantly looking at its timer (or a watch).

I don't want to get too technical, but the iPhones GPS capability is totally dependent on the app(s) that is(are) running on the phone, and the number of open apps on the phone.  Just let me know if you know what I mean by this are you need / want more explanation.

I must say that starting with Week 6 Day 2, there will be no more reason for complex run/walk intervals.  For this reason, in total fairness I must say that I will most likely abandon the C25k app and rely on the Nike+ GPS app for my music (and posting to my Nike+ account on their website) and my Garmin FR 210 GPS watch for tracking and pacing my runs (and for monitoring my heart rate).  I got the Garmin during Week 4 of the program and I LOVE IT!!

Ed

• gojackets99 Amateur 7 posts since
    Jul 28, 2011
    3. Aug 24, 2011 6:11 PM (in response to Jarviswabi)
    Re: GPS in Couch-to-5k App Unreliable?

I'm with ya.  I wish the C25k app would have been a touch better.  The only thing lacking is GPS-related accuracy items; it truly does everything else brilliantly.  If they could get that figured out, then they could have an awesome app.  Oh well!!  Your financial situation is none of my business, but if you have the funds look into Garmin.  I've only had mine for a couple of weeks, but it has improved my running enjoyment immensly!  Anyways, enjoy the Couch to 5k program.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points