Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1979 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2011 10:38 AM by Terry Stephens
KurtinSC Pro 126 posts since
Nov 23, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 24, 2011 12:14 PM

Multiple events in consecutive days... crazy?

Okay... so I went to get the information for my triathlon this upcoming weekend so I'm not scrambling on race day.  You know, start time, when you can pick up the race packet, the address to plug into GPS and general rules and such.

So while I was looking, I realized that the triathlon I'm doing is not a stand alone event.  It is part of a 3-day festival called the Hickory Nut Gorge Olympiad.  They have a bunch of different athletic things starting on Friday evening for all ages.  But they have a "challenge"... three races in three days.

-10 K run on Friday at 7 PM.

-Sprint triathlon on Saturday at 8 AM.

-Either a 5K run or 25 mile bike finishing at the top of the road leading to chimney rock park on Sunday morning (the climb to the park is loaded with switchbacks and is at an average incline of 7%... YIKES!)

In addition... on Saturday at noon they have 1 mile and 2 mile lake swim events.

So I got to thinking... what would it be like to do all of these events next year?  I'm talking all FOUR (with the 2 mile swim).  Is it insane to try something like that with my current overweight/slow poke stage of athletic ability?  I'm not sure what having competitive events in 3 consecutive days would be like.  Anyone have any experience with multiple races on consecutive days?  Am I crazy to consider this?

I feel like I could do any of them individually right now and I'd have a year to build up for it to handle the lot of them together.  Is it possible?  What kind of training regimine would be needed to prepare for "quick recovery" from event to event?

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Aug 30, 2011 10:31 AM (in response to KurtinSC)
    Re: Multiple events in consecutive days... crazy?

Wow - that would be a full weekend of activity if you do all 4!  I've done a few back to back races but nothing like that.  If you think about it, its really just like a hard training weekend with a few bricks.  I would think the key would be knowing how to pace yourself so your not burned out for the next day plus a solid nutrition plan.  For me the hard part would be not going all out on the sprint tri so I'd still want to do the swim at noon.  You can do anything you put your mind to, so go for it!  I'll be looking for a post about it next year!

• Terry Stephens Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 5, 2009

Just completed an International Triathlon, followed by a really hard 70 (Savageman).  I'm not really a triathlete, but the past several years I have trained for the Savageman and this year I decided to make it harder by doing both races.  The I did ok (by my standards, I'm old and slow), and had a pr for the 70.  I think the key was that I trained for the event for a long time.  I signed up in January for the September event.  I usually do a few road races every summer so I tried to ride my bicycle to the races when it was feasible.  As Julie said, you can do anything that you put your mind to.  Be sure to watch your nutrition.  At the end of the two races totalling 100 miles I weighted the exact same weight as at the beginning.  Good luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points