Skip navigation

4540 Views 27 Replies Latest reply: Aug 25, 2011 10:43 AM by Mike_CVUA RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Big_Ump_56 Amateur 33 posts since
May 30, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 24, 2011 6:01 PM

I Would Have Ejected Him!

I had MC on the pitcher in the Montana/California game tonight. As soon as he lifted his leg to intentionally trip the BR I would have called the OBS (Type A, Orel - the ball is dead) and ejected the player.

Just sayin'...................

• John in Atl Pro 79 posts since
    Mar 26, 2010
    1. Aug 24, 2011 6:25 PM (in response to Big_Ump_56)
    Re: I Would Have Ejected Him!

Care to explain how that was obstruction?  F1 had possesion of the ball, so by definition it was not obstruction.  I didn't feel the trip was intentional, so it is judgement.  U1 clearly killed the play, and I swear I heard one of the umpires say, "I've got interference."  But the result seems to be an obstruction call.  You are correct, Orel had no clue.

• HugoTafurst Legend 515 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    3. Aug 24, 2011 8:06 PM (in response to Big_Ump_56)

Big_Ump_56 wrote:

I had MC on the pitcher in the Montana/California game tonight. As soon as he lifted his leg to intentionally trip the BR I would have called the OBS (Type A, Orel - the ball is dead) and ejected the player.

Just sayin'...................

Maybe you would have, but like all these things, you have the benefit of reviewing the play from various views at slow motion.

From my first viewing of the play, it wasn't clear to me that the trip was imtentional...

oops

• beowulf37 Legend 219 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    4. Aug 24, 2011 8:14 PM (in response to HugoTafurst)
    That's the appeal of replay - everyone can be a friggin genius after the fact.  This is the reason people like replay.
  • Michael_Taylor Community Moderator 318 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    5. Aug 24, 2011 9:43 PM (in response to John in Atl)

There is an interp, lost all my manuals on a harddrive meltdown, that says you can have obstruction with the ball. By strict definition you are correct but by interp it is.

Michael S. Taylor

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    6. Aug 24, 2011 9:57 PM (in response to Michael_Taylor)

It's right in the book.

Rule 7.09(j) Comment: When a catcher and batter-runner going to first base have contact when

the catcher is fielding the ball, there is generally no violation and nothing should be called. “Obstruction”

by a fielder attempting to field a ball should be called only in very flagrant and violent cases because the

rules give him the right of way, but of course such “right of way” is not a license to, for example,

intentionally trip a runner even though fielding the ball. If the catcher is fielding the ball and the first

baseman or pitcher obstructs a runner going to first base “obstruction” shall be called and the base runner

awarded first base.

May 25, 2007
    7. Aug 24, 2011 9:58 PM (in response to John in Atl)

How? Easy.

See my post under Mike's

May 25, 2007
    8. Aug 24, 2011 10:01 PM (in response to Big_Ump_56)

No MC in LL.  You'd have to call it UC.   Fits the description better anyhow.

• NELL_blue Legend 303 posts since
    May 21, 2010
    9. Aug 25, 2011 5:13 AM (in response to John in Atl)

I screamed this last night.  I watched that pitcher purposely attempt, and succeed, to trip the kid running the base path. Then when it was on the replay, it only confirmed it for me.

I thought he should have been ejected also! In my judgement it was flagrant!

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

• Super blue Amateur 34 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    10. Aug 25, 2011 6:44 AM (in response to Big_Ump_56)

Sorry guys, the runner ran into a defensive player making a play on a batted ball, the runner has to go around the player and the call should have been interferance.  6.05 j covers this

May 25, 2007
    11. Aug 25, 2011 7:19 AM (in response to Super blue)

You've been out-voted, here and on the field. Please justify your call.

May 30, 2007
    12. Aug 25, 2011 7:39 AM (in response to Rich_Ives)
    The defensive player was attempting  to make a play on a batted ball. He went down to field the ball, He got it and while trying to right himself to throw the ball the runner ran into him. If the runner had went out to the right and tried to avoid him there would have been no contact. I don't think the player was trying to trip the runner. By rule, on a batted ball, it is the runner who must avoid the defensive player
    May 30, 2007
    13. Aug 25, 2011 7:50 AM (in response to Rich_Ives)
    Also, I think there is a rush to judgement on the defensive player. He lifted his leg, This is open to what we see. Did he whip his leg around, no I feel if the runner had not run into the leg and he had been allowed to continue, he would have tried to get up , he was not given the chance, The runner who has to avoid him did not.
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...