Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4702 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2011 10:52 PM by crl8686 RSS
glubbuk11 Rookie 4 posts since
Aug 28, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 28, 2011 12:57 PM

What is a good running pace?

I know each individual has their own good pace/ideal pace, but when does walking become running and when does running become a 'good' pace.

I've always considered 8 minute miles to be ideal pace, and on the occasions I have hit that pace I've really felt like a runner (hence my Eight Minute Mile blog). But what does everybody else think?

Interested in your views.

My blogs:

Running - Eight Minute Mile

Soccer - 1.FC Nuremberg UK Fan Club

• kylekopid Amateur 18 posts since
    Mar 25, 2007
    1. Aug 28, 2011 1:06 PM (in response to glubbuk11)
    Re: What is a good running pace?

Walking becomes running when both feet are off the ground at one time.

• bbbgtg Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 28, 2011
    2. Aug 28, 2011 1:36 PM (in response to kylekopid)

if thats the case i can get both feet of the ground at 3 mph and call it running

• bbbgtg Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 28, 2011
    3. Aug 28, 2011 1:41 PM (in response to bbbgtg)

Ive been running  a year total my whole life and im at 7:30 minute mile pace for 5 whole miles. A lot of people consider this slow (people who have been running years) but i bet most people who have only ran a year arent this fast. 1 year thats it... Also weigh 190

Keep at it youll achieve

• kylekopid Amateur 18 posts since
    Mar 25, 2007
    4. Aug 28, 2011 3:04 PM (in response to bbbgtg)

"if thats the case i can get both feet of the ground at 3 mph and call it running"

Yup, you can do that.  Having both feet off the ground disqualifies you in racewalking, because it is running.

• JasonFitz1 Legend 572 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    5. Aug 28, 2011 5:41 PM (in response to glubbuk11)

The answer to this question really depends on who you are, your goals, and your training history. From a strict definition sense, running is at a speed when both legs are off the ground. This doesn't happen during walking.

But you can be a runner when you run 12 minute miles or 6 minute miles. Your pace isn't as important as what you personally identify with. To be a runner, you just have to run

Cheers,

- Jason.

Strength Running
  • crl8686 Legend 1,293 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    6. Aug 28, 2011 10:52 PM (in response to glubbuk11)

I don't have a single "good pace" or "ideal pace". It depends on the purpose of the run, the terrain, and the weather conditions. For example, I race 5K's at just about 8 min/mile (assuming reasonably flat ground and reasonable race day temperatures). Since the 5K and 10K are my best distances, I could say that 8 min/mi is my "ideal pace". I also do some speedwork at that pace. But I slow down some for standard training runs, longer distances, hills and high temperatures. For example, for me, a good pace for a 10K race would be about 8:15 min/mile. A 4 mi tempo run, about 8:30/mi. A 4-6 mi training run including rolling hills (2-3 % inclines) might be about 8:40/mile. With extra hills, about 8:50/mile. In 87 degree heat and hills (like yesterday where I live), any decent pace is a good pace. You get the idea.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...