Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3861 Views 20 Replies Latest reply: Sep 26, 2011 9:29 AM by Mikala_SF 1 2 Previous Next
BradenMommyof5 Pro 176 posts since
Jan 4, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 29, 2011 9:43 PM

C25k after baby-starting this week!!  Anyone want to join me?

Hello all!

A brief bio: as you can see from my avatar, I just had a baby, which makes baby #4...my kids are 5 1/2, 3 1/2, 2 and almost 4 months.  Knowing we wanted another baby, I started running/dieting back in January 2010, working desperately to lose 20+ pounds before getting pregnant again.  Thanks to C25k, I was able to go from barely making it one block, to running two 5k's and one 10k by September 2010 AND saying adios to 30 pounds (Weight Watchers was a great companion to the running). I had hoped to keep running during the pregnancy, but a complication made my doc give me "cease and desist" orders.  So, here I am, almost exactly one year later, and I'm hitting the pavement again, hoping to get myself back to running 3 miles, and who knows, maybe another 10k!

Hope some of you would like to join me.  One of the things that helped the most back when I did this program the first time was the thread I joined on active.com.  Those folks kept me accountable, helped me with my million and a half questions, and were awesome encouragement!

Thanks, and happy running!

Jenn / BradenMommyto4

Jenn / BradenMommyof5

<//><

• Kate4423 Rookie 4 posts since
    May 29, 2008

Hi Jenn!  Congrats on the baby - and may I say - WOW - 4 kids.  You are amazing!

I did not just have a baby - my kids are 2 and 5 - but I just signed up for 3 races (the longest run being 4.4 miles as a part of a marathon relay team) and I am looking for motivation to keep on track.

I played basketball in college, and have always been athletic, so I know I can do this.  I just never RAN for the sake of RUNNING before, so I may have some questions along the way...

I've been up and down with weight since my 1st was born in 2006 - and especially after my 2nd (a 10-lb gorgeous chunk of a baby girl) - I have really lost my figure.  I am desperate to get it back.  DESPERATE!  So any healthy eating tips are appreciated too!

Thanks for the support in advance!  My race dates are:

Dirty Dog Dash: Sept. 17th

5k: October 3rd

Marathon Relay: October 16th

Yay!

Katie

• TrishaLG Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 29, 2011

Hi! I'd love to join your group... maybe get a little motivation! I have 4 boys - 7, almost 3, and 2- 3 month olds. I decided to try C25K becaues a friend of mine started it last year and thought it was a great program and she is still running. The plan was to start this AM. Get my first walk/run in before my husband left for work..... buuut, the babies decided to take shifts and keep me up until 5am, so I only got a couple hours of sleep last night. I couldn't bring myself to wake up earlier than I absolutely had to. I did go for my first walk/run tonight, but only completed a little over half of the workout.  It was very dissapointing. I'm so incredibly out of shape after a difficult pregnancy with lots of restrictions and modified bed rest. I've been taking lots of walks with the kids, but they're very leisurely walks. The brisk walking alternated with running left me pooped and dealing with shin splints .  Wondering if maybe I should do some serious dieting and try to take off a few pounds before starting on this endevor. Maybe it would make the running easier? I dunno. Thanks for listening to my ramblings! Any input is welcome

Aug 29, 2011

Glad to hear your second workout went well!

I did a second workout Wednesday evening and it went slightly better. I only ran 4 of the 60 second intervals and then just walked the rest of the time. It's weird, I actually get the shin splints when I'm walking (warming up) and they don't seem to be as bad when I run, but then get worse when I walk. I can't quite figure out what this means?! I did look into some of the things you suggested and also ordered the Chi Running book via interlibrary loan, so hopefully it gets here soon.

And for clarification, yes, I have TWO 3 month old babies. They're lots of work, but good babies and such a delight. I had never imagined I'd have twins, so sometimes I still look at them and feel a bit in shock that I have not one, but two babies. I was on modified bedrest through most of the pregnancy, so despite being active and in good shape and a pretty good weight before pregnancy... I'm not ANY of those things now. I take fairly leisurely walks with my kids around the neighborhood, but the first week of this C25K program is kickin' my butt. I guess I'll just stick with week 1 until I can at least complete 3 full workouts of it!

I'm right around 200 pounds and I had read on a couple of websites that people that are this overweight shhouldn't run because it's too stressful on the body and that I would get more benefit from just walking until I dropped 40 or so pounds. Any thoughts on this?!

• ChristinaL215 Expert 60 posts since
    Sep 17, 2008

Hi ladies

I was wondering if I could join your thread?

I am starting couch to 5k today, I've done the program before, but this time I am going to run outside instead of on the treadmill at the gym. I stopped running on the treadmill about 9-10 months ago because I couldn't stand watching the clock, watching the tv and worrying about how slow I was going compared to all the other people! Since then, I haven't done much at the gym, just weights classes and yoga, so my cardiac endurance is definitely low! Having the support of others is definitely helpful on the hard days, or when you just don't want to get out and run!

I just completed my first outdoor run, I started the program on week 2. It was tough, but more enjoyable to be outside than in the gym! I do have asthma and I could tell that my lungs need some time to get used to running again. My legs were tired by the end, thankfully no shin splints yet - I've struggled with those in the past!

Brief info: I'm not a Mom yet - but I am hoping to become pregnant in the next year. I have struggled with my weight my entire life, I maintained my weight in college and then gained 40lbs in the last 5 years (while my husband lost 40lbs, how does that happen?). I want to get back to a healthy weight before I get pregnant, and I think running would be a good activity for me - something that can be done in the future with a jogging stroller and won't be too expensive! Many of my friends run, and I would love to be able to join them in a 5k or 10k sometime in the future. I just need to keep up with the program and not let myself stop running because it's hard! I'm 28, and I know if I don't get myself into a healthier lifestyle now, it will never happen. I am a nurse, so I need to practice what I preach to my patients!

Christina

What people say you cannot do, you try and find that you can. ~ Henry David Thoreau
    Aug 29, 2011

Jenn, THanks for the pointers! As a total newbie I really appreciate it. I finished my 3rd workout today and finally completed the week 1 workout. I am going to stick with the week 1 workout until I complete 2 more days of it. I have been researching proper running form online and am trying to pay attention to my form, but it's hard to know whether or not Im doing things right. I must really be doing something wrong when I walk because my shin splints are a LOT worse when I walk. During the last few minutes of my cool down tonight I was pretty much limping, they were so bad in my left leg. It's so weird because the running part of the workout really wasn't any big deal, but I sure did dread the walking!

Aug 29, 2011

Hi Christina- Wanted to say welcome. Sounds like you have a good plan. I have a good bit of weight to lose too... probably about 45 pounds. Keep us posted on your progress, sounds like you're doing great!

• Kate4423 Rookie 4 posts since
    May 29, 2008

Hi everyone!

Sorry I have been MIA.  I have been trying to reply to posts, and couldn't figure out why it wasn't letting me.  Turns out, I wasn't signed in.  Go figure!

So needless to say, I have been keeping up on all of the posts.  GREAT advice, and I am so happy we have this forum to bounce ideas off of each other and reach out.  Very cool.

Me?  I started the Hal Higdon last week.  (Note: for 5 weeks prior, I had been running anywhere from 3 to 5 days per week.  I was getting pretty bored with it, and I noticed I was less and less motivated everyday, so I knew if I was going to stick with it, I had to change it up).  I am on his 8-week training program for a 10K.  Last week was great - and I must say, a TON of fun.  The combination of running, strength training and cross training really keeps my body guessing and keeps my mind motivated.

I have 10 days until the Dirty Dog Dash (3 miles of running and obstacles), then the 5k on October 2nd (2 days before my 33rd birthday - great present for me!) and finally the marathon relay on October 16th (4.4 miles).  I'm getting there, and I am actually training my mind in the process - "You can do it, you can do it, YOU CAN DO IT!!"  This is 90% mental for me - the body follows the mind.  So as long as I can keep the ol' hat rack in check, then I should be fine...

There's my update!  SO GLAD I can finally post!!  Toodles!

Katie

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...