Skip navigation

4364 Views 58 Replies Latest reply: Sep 27, 2006 12:08 PM by jyotsna_singh RSS 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
devon22 Rookie 2 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 14, 2005 1:54 PM

Protein drinks/shakes

I love exercise, and I also love food. But was told I need to get more protein. My problem is that protein shakes tend to taste bad. I cannot force myself to drink something that tastes bad. I'm not body building or anything, just want to be healthy and athletic. Does anyone use a shake or a protein mix they actually like to drink?

Thanks,

Devon

• lululemon Amateur 25 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Jul 15, 2005 9:46 AM (in response to devon22)
    Re: Protein drinks/shakes

ISO WHEY makes a totally non-flavor, non nothing - it's pure whey protein isolate...

And I don't know if it's available everywhere...

Nobody says you have to consume the protein shakes...what's wrong with real food?  Have a 5 oz steak for breakfast for all it matters...just don't go too overboard in any one area...have fish for breakfast...just remember to have a protein 3 x a day...and that will be more than enough...

• lululemon Amateur 25 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Jul 15, 2005 9:47 AM (in response to devon22)

What about protein bars too?  Just make sure they're not full of crap...

• tri-sometimes Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Jul 18, 2005 3:42 PM (in response to devon22)

I've found a creative way to add protein to my morning ritual of my cup (or two!) of coffee.  If you brew your own coffee at home, SoyJoe (soyjoe.net) has over 3.5 grams of protein in a 6-oz serving according to the website.

No more protein shakes in the morning.  Fantastic gourmet coffee taste, too!

I think you can get a free sample at their website.

• shajp87 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Jul 23, 2005 6:19 PM (in response to devon22)

Hey!  I know how you feel about trying to get the right nutrition without having to "gag" it down.  My family and I have tried many different nutritional supplements...(most of them).  Then we came across this one that has been a miracle!  It is the best "stuff" out there.  It's a dried food concentrate with government food pattens on it.  My running coaches noticed my running time get better, and I started to feel better.  It's all the nutrition you need!  2 shakes a day...that's it!  Not only has it enhanced my athletic abilities, it has helped my body heal itself.  I have been migraine free now for 5 months!  No joke, this stuff is the best.  If you want to here more about it, e-mail me at ganzprima@gmail.com

• estes79 Amateur 15 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Jul 23, 2005 9:59 PM (in response to devon22)

first, calculate how much protein you need. i think ive read between .5 and 1 gram per pound of body weight, for cardio type athletes, the most times. then, start reading labels. you will probably find that most of the foods you like best contain protein. good sources like milk-9 grams per serving, fish, chicken, steak-20 grams per 4 ounce serving, yogurt-8 grams, pasta and rice-5 to 7 grams, potato chips 1 to 2 grams, beans- 7 to 9 grams, cereals too contain significant amount depending on the type like go lean brand stuff usually usually has 10 or so grams, and other brands vary from 3 to 15 or so without milk. five egg whites is about 15 grams. nuts-5 or 10 grams per handful. there are so many different energy bars to choose from and so many different protein powders w/ alternate flavors from strawberry, vanilla, bannana creme, chocolate, caramel creme etc. you can get em at gnc, vitamin world and such fitness nutrition stores. mixin em with milk, for me, tastes pretty good. or you can mix it in yogurt or flavor your oatmeal with em. just aim for your target amount and get within 10 grams or so. if you have to, keep a tally with you on paper. also, remember, protein is not life and death unless you are trying to bulk up. aim for a little more protein in the hours following your workouts(like 20 or 30 grams) and get some to during the rest of your waking hours. too, you could get a nutrition book on the subjct specific to the activities you do. almost all running related books have a chapter dealing with food. the end.

• rwaegner Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    7. Aug 19, 2005 8:39 PM (in response to devon22)

I love to use the Met-RX brand meal replacement shakes. You must use a blender though, shaking or stirring the product results in a lumpy texture, but when blended they are great! You can "soup it up" by adding a tablespoon or so of plain oats and a tablespoon of peanut butter. Experiment and find what you prefer. I think Met-RX is around 38 grams of protein alone, but when made with skim milk and peanut butter it's closer to 50 grams. Plenty of easy to make and drink protein.

• triruth Pro 174 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    8. Aug 19, 2005 9:19 PM (in response to devon22)

If you go the whole food option remember that non-flesh foods, excepting eggs, lack at least 1 essential amino acid. To fully utilize the protien in legumes (peanuts, peas, and beans) you must combine them with a grain. Dairy should be combined with a grain or green leafy vegetables. This is probably why beans and rice are staples in many ares of the world. As for supplements, the best tasting protien shake I've ever had is Muscle Milk made by CytoSport. It's mostly casein proteins though, and not suitable for recovery as it takes a long time to digest. It's more suitable for meal replacement or before bed. It does contain a moderate amount of fat though. For fast absorbing whey protein I use Optimum Nutrition HydroWhey strawberry or vanilla flavored. I rarely like the chocolate flavored shakes because they always taste like cheap, crummy chocolate. The exception to this is Muscle Milk. Leave the chocloate to Godiva or Baci. The other nice thing about vanilla is that it goes with a lot of othe flavors which makes it great for spiking your smoothie. I've even added it to pancake batter and pudding!

• shornke Pro 138 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    9. Aug 20, 2005 2:04 AM (in response to devon22)

Hi Devon,

my recommendation: chicken- or turkey breast! Comes in dozens of variations, has tons of protein, no carbs, little fat and tastes great. I eat it just out of the package, no bread, no nothing. Give it a try!

• Beerpace Pro 157 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    10. Aug 22, 2005 2:10 PM (in response to devon22)

Protein shakes are expensive and full of sugar and other junk you don't need. If you have money to flush away, then go for it. My money goes to FOOD sources such as chicken, grains, fish,etc. Not some powder in a can that costs an arm and a leg.

• shajp87 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    11. Aug 23, 2005 11:28 AM (in response to devon22)

I agree to the above about getting nutrition from real food.  I eat food, and now I drink food.  This "powder in a can" is food.  It's a dried food concentrate that is bioavailable and synergistically balanced.  If you need proof, the fact that it holds the first government food patent for a nutritional supplement should suffice.  We don't always get the right nutrition in our bodies, partly because our soils are depleted.  Research has proved that.  This gives me the best nutrition available without changing the way I eat.  If you want to know more about it, I'll tell you what I know and what I've seen from it.  ganzprima@gmail.com

• habermet Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    12. Aug 24, 2005 10:05 AM (in response to devon22)

Hemp Protein is one that I have found to be particularly clean and really easy to digest.  It is leagal and sold at many of the natural food stores like WHole Foods.  They don't use any chemicals to isolate the protein and thus many who get a knot in their stomach from soy or whey isolates, so not experience this problem.

• Beerpace Pro 157 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    13. Sep 2, 2005 8:35 PM (in response to devon22)

Horse hockey. Enjoyment of what you eat is part of life. Sitting on the deck watching the sun set while you and your honey have a protein smoothie from a can...what fun.

Spending time in the kitchen making a fine meal out of chicken/fish/salad, etc. than chatting about how the day went, your training run, etc. with your spouse is part of your training regimine. Not to mention healthy in mind and body. Cliche'? maybe, but it works.

• gzumberge Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    14. Sep 16, 2005 6:12 AM (in response to devon22)

Hi Devon,

Sorry, I have no secret miracle products or advice on a better lifestyle. I'm just a single guy who likes his food to taste good (and sweet), does't bother cooking when his kids aren't here, and avoids artificial sweeteners like the plague. I enjoy the Balance Bars. They're not "high" protein, they're a "balance" of protein, fats, and carbs. Some aren't that tasty, but others are. I like all of the "Balance Gold" ones (the "Caramel Nut Blast" reminds me of a candy bar (gotta love it!)) , but only some of the original (Cookie Dough is pretty good). Not too fond of the "Balance Gold Crunch", personally.

For a powder I like "Unipro's Perfect Protein" chocolate or vanilla. The chocolate I'll drink just mixed with milk (whole fat milk for me, baby!). I also use it to turn my rice crispies into cocoa crispies, and my coffe into a poor man's mocha latte (or frenchless-vanilla if you prefer).

Good luck in school!

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...