Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1337 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2011 7:55 PM by Debm2011 RSS
Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
Jun 12, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 2, 2011 4:02 PM

Hip Pain - New Runner needs Advice!

I'm a relatively new runner (started in May of this year).  Since  I graduated from C25K at the end of July I have been running between 3 and 4 miles 3 times a week (working on a 10k training program).  I am conservative when it comes to increasing distance  I don't feel like I'm overtraining.  I am registered for a 5K on 9/11.  On Thursday morning I went out for a 3 mile run and  felt fine during the entire run - pretty comfy pace with lap times of 12:20, 11:40, and 11:20 - totally conversational the whole way - until I stopped running and started my 5 +/- minute cool down walk.  As soon as I started walking I felt pain on the outside of my left hip - right on top of the hip bone.  Enough to be bothersome, but not  enough to prevent me from walking.  By the time I got home (5+ minutes later) it hurt a little more so I iced it.  All throughout the day the outside/top of my hip hurt.  It wasn't a weight bearing issue, because I could stand on it without pain.  But if I walked it hurt (I was limping a bit during the day).  It hurt more when I got up after sitting for a while.  But what's really odd is if I walked sideways it didn't hurt, but if I walked straight forward it hurt.   I'd  say the pain was about a 3 (I'm also very tough when it comes to pain) I do not recall anything that happened on my run that might have caused an injury (but then again who can remember every misstep etc).  I run on sidewalks and occasionally the street - not always on the same side of the street.  I iced it all day, went to bed early last night and my hip did feel a lot better this morning.  Still a little achey but definitely better than yesterday - probably about a .5 or a 1. 

Any thoughts on what this might be, what might have caused it, how to prevent it from happening again?  How long after I am pain free can I run again?  The siren song of the road is calling me.    Any issues with running my 5K on 9/11?  It's my first and I"d really rather not be a DNS - although I'm also not an idiot and I'd rather not cause serious damage. 

Thanks!

Deb

• DaveTheRave Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 28, 2008
    1. Sep 13, 2011 12:02 PM (in response to Debm2011)

I am a long time runner (25+ years) and have been pretty much injury free throughout... until about three or four weeks ago when I experienced pain on the outside of the hip after running.  Kind of feels like I bruised it, but I didn't hit anything during the run.  After doing some reading, the hip bone area where I feel the pain is called the Illiac Crest and this is where some ligaments that become the IT band connect.  I took a week off (swimming and mtn biking didn't aggravate it)... and plan to start some easy runs this week.  Good luck and keep us posted on your experience.

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 221 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Sep 13, 2011 1:38 PM (in response to Debm2011)

I've had some IT band issues from running on canted roads and would feel the pain in my knee and hip.  I still get occasional hip pain which I attribute to years of running.  The advice I've gotten from a few different PTs is to use a foam roller to loosen up the muscles in that area.  kineticloop.org has some great articles on how to make your own foam roller and how to use it.  http://kineticloop.org/articles.html  Whenever I'm starting to get some hip pain I know I need to get back in the habit of using the foam roller for a few minutes a day and then the pain is gone.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points