Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8983 Views 117 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2007 6:02 PM by EIgirl Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 8 Previous Next
  • John2635 Legend 504 posts since
    Oct 2, 2004

Well put Nick!

It's good to be reminded of this from time to time.

Thanks for the advice

John

• COcarrie Rookie 396 posts since
    Oct 15, 2007

LRN... I do love your posts!  I still feel like a newbie after almost 4 years of running and many races but can use all the advice I can get.  (Compared to you, many of us are newbies!)  I'm currently working on the slow down thing, thanks to my new HRM and lots of good stuff I read here.

Note: Over the years people have asked me why they rarely see runners smiling while they run.

Oh, and I have one (bragging) comment to make... I had an awesome race last week and was SMILING for many miles of the 9.3 miles(15k) . I love to ENJOY my runs.

Get up on that soapbox any old time. Looks like we can all use it!
    Carrie

----

ME[/URL" target="_blank">

• Marester Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 26, 2007

I just finished W5D3 of C25K and would not have made it even this far without your extremely helpful and wise advice, Nick.  As such a newbie, I feel like I needed "permission" to go slower!  Can't thank you enough!  You are an incredible blessing to me and countless others, I'm sure! 

• Lee Anne Hooley Rookie 17 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

You are my new hero.

I'm not as new as a lot of the newbies here, but I have bad runs still (just 2 nights ago, actually), and reading something like this reminds me why I love running so much.  Thanks, and please keep the inspirational words coming.

• umcee11 Rookie 8 posts since
    Feb 12, 2007

Thanks
    I read an earlier post by you and I think about it almost every run when I am thinking why aren't I faster yet or maybe I should work harder. I think well better to take it slow then be in the I used to run club. I started in November so your voice of reason is especially important to over achievement oriented me.
    Thanks
    Jen

• veganmom Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 7, 2005

Thank you, Nick. I fell away from running for a few months and I'm starting back up again. Thanks so much for the reminder to take it slow and enjoy it. I berate myself for going slow but I need to stop that.

Christie

• charliecat Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 18, 2006

I was sitting in my office, grabbing a bowl of cereal before hitting the treadmill, feeling pretty low about my last few stinky runs, and then I read your post.   It's ok if I slow down!  Heck, it's ok if I need to walk for a minute.  Hurray!

Thanks for the wise words--I really needed a hit of motivation.

• Cam034 Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 15, 2007

Thanks so much for your wonderful post.  Keeping a decent perspective on how well you think you should be running, and what your body can actually do is so important.  I get quite discouraged at times.

Thanks again for the encouraging words.

• rolling1977 Amateur 183 posts since
    May 23, 2006

Well, I was getting motivated to run, but by the time I finished reading your post, it was too late   !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!.

Just kiddin, good info.

----

Jimmy Legs

• sjutton090 Rookie 24 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Nick's posts should be archived and "stickied" to the top of this forum, IMHO.

• mmoonhead Rookie 432 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Once again, great post Nick!

I can attest to the slow down and relaxing aspect - I took that approach to my post-injury running, and it's made me as well as my running feel so much better.

It's also had a nice side-benefit - my easy runs are now as fast as the hard runs I was doing last year.

• mohanapte Rookie 46 posts since
    Mar 3, 2004

Nick,

I have nothing but admiration for you. I am one who wholeheartedly supports what you say!

I have a question. I am 38 and have been running for about 2 1/2 years now and like so many on this forum, I want to be a lifetime runner.

I run every other day. I got into a trap of doing too much too soon and got injured. Luckily I came out of it and back running.

The question is - as one ages, does the recovery period between runs increase? I mean, can I continue my every other day routine way into my 40's, 50's and 60's and keep improving (both in terms of time/distance and speed) all the time?

Again, when I say "improve" I mean baby steps in improvement. Neverthless, over a lifetime, that could mean a significant improvement.

So assuming I remain faithful to my routine, as one ages, does it become more difficult to improve?

• Stealth26 Rookie 31 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

As always, good post Nick. Thanks.

*DTFB*

• Sassafrassa Rookie 10 posts since
    Feb 10, 2006

I haven't been on the forum in quite a while, and what is the first post I read??  Yours...and it was just what I needed. 

Thanks again for the great advice and encouragement.

Sassa

1 2 3 4 ... 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...