Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9143 Views 117 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2007 6:02 PM by EIgirl Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8 Previous Next
  • sandert Rookie 17 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Testimonial to what LRN says:

I was a member of the "used to run, but" club. I was going to the gym and running on the treadmill. One day I said "why not just run with the dogs from home and skip the gym". I was running 3-5 miles on the treadmill. I ran less than 1 mile and almost could not walk the next day due to shin splints. That is the day I said "yup, I knew I wasn't a runner".

That would have been a permanent membership for me, but fortunately, about 5 years later my 14yo son talked me into training for and finishing a HM.  We trained with a charity for diabetes and their training philosophy was similar to Nick's.  Run slow, enjoy this, have fun and stay healthy.  We did it in about 5.5 months and had a great time.  Right now, my sons interest in running has faded some, but I am an addict.  I have finished 2 marathons, 2 HM's, 2 10k's and am 100% injury free().<br /><br />() the only pain I have had has been due to worn out shoes because I didn't pay attention and log my miles.  Also, my shoes seem to "die" at about 250 miles, so listen to your feet. If they hurt and you have had your shoes for awhile, try new ones. (ok, I'll get off my soapbox now )

Anyway, listen to Long Run Nick. He knows.

----

PR Marathon 4:49 (Lost Dutchman Marathon 2007)
    My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• Detox Rookie 19 posts since
    Feb 28, 2007

Hi, just signed up.

Nice post LRN. I've been trying to start running each fall, but have found it very difficult to keep running. I was tracking miles, and time. Each run was difficult to finish because I was pushing myself. This year I started walking. So simple. Easy. I keep thinking I should run, or ride my bike, but keep walking instead. Several months later I started running a little, 2 or maybe 3 times a week. Longest run 10 miles nice and slow at 10min/mile, walk 1 minute, run 10. Funny how all the walking conditioned my legs so I could run. Also running slow and not tracking miles very well. Estimate only. Now I'm not suffering at the end of runs. Instead I'm just enjoying being out and about. I still look forward to the daily walks.

Why must I still have goals?

• first timer2005 Rookie 15 posts since
    May 21, 2005

You know what they say "use it or lose it".  Running is theraputic for me even after having a bad knee injury and told running wasn't good for my knee.  That was told to me by an old, over weight OS who probably never ran a day in his life.  I do want to walk, jog and run well into my golden years.  Heck!  I'm more than half way there and having a great time "using it".  Great post Nick.

• Marester Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 26, 2007

This info. is too important not to BUMP

• deez4boyz Expert 65 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

awesome post Nick - i needed that today too!!

i love running and this past weekend i ran a 1/2 marathon despite having that awful stomach bug the few days prior - i'm not fast to begin with and i knew it wasn't going to be great time for me but i really just wanted to be there and take it all in - i ran and walked when i needed to - i just really enjoyed being there and enjoying the day - there's nothing like being amid a huge group of runners on a cold sunny new england day ..........part of me was saying - if i was a real runner i wouldn't need to walk, the other part was saying listen to your body and be smart!! your post makes me glad i listened to the "other part"

i hope to keep hearing your voice in my head and enjoying the journey for years and years!!  thankyou!!

• rolling1977 Amateur 183 posts since
    May 23, 2006

Bumpity, bump, bump.............

Anyway, egos are a good thing, usually. I started running 18 months ago to lose weight, after a 30 year hiatus. I'm 48 now, have lost 35 pounds, need to lose another 20, and have recaptured the fun of running, like when I ran high school cross country .

I can run 5 miles without pain (after being stupid and overdoing it twice). 6 miles causes me hip joint pain (soreness in the body/thigh crease). I REALLY wanted to run a half-marathon (I don't know why I wanted to run a HM), but have given up at this point.

This has caused me to reflect as to why I am running. Why should I increase my mileage over 5 miles? Should I get my hip analyzed by a doctor (and all that mess) so I can increase my mileage? I enjoy the health benefits, but I feel an apprehension about not achieving more mileage. I am really jealous of the HM and Mary finishers.

I realize that I'm the only one who can answer those questions, but I am looking at these posts to get a better understanding of it all. For now, I run slow, enjoy the ride and do hope I can continue my running into my later years.

Thanks for your advice, as I feel better about deciding to take it easy (for now).

----

Jimmy Legs

• M00nshine Rookie 34 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Great nuggets of advice there Nick. Thanks.

I'm going on holiday to my mother-in-laws in two weeks time and as I'm new to running was really worried about falling back with my newly acquired duration running and not being able to do the same when I return.

You've put that into perspective for me. It's not just today that counts, it's tomorrow too. What's a fortnight in a lifetime.

Thanks again Nick.

• purelyshell Rookie 76 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

As a new runner, I have been devouring information on "doing it right".  You have said what I have found in my search for just that!  Thanks for reminding us all that stopping to "smell the roses" while running is a MUST for a lifetime of running enjoyment!

~Shell

• Jess22 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 6, 2006

Wow

nicely put, Nick.

I usually hang out in the 30 somethings place. I've been lurking lately because I'm embarrassed that I haven't been running lately. I've missed it, but haven't found the motivation to get back at it. I really needed this today.

I see some of my fellow 30s pals...

Hello to Moon, Sandert, Sassa.

I think it's time I get back at it!

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• eliz4015 Pro 219 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Nick, thanks as always for the wonderful adivce. 

Due to a scheduling problem, I just took a " whole" week off from running. Coincidentally, the last time I ran (last Sunday) was exactly one year from the time I started C25K. If it weren't for reading about and buying into your perspective that I'm in this for the long haul and that running truly is something I want to do for the rest of my life, I'd be freaking out about having missed a "whole" week and wondering whether it was even worth it try start again after missing a "whole" week.

Since I finally get it that this is a lifetime thing, that "whole" week doesn't seem like that big of a deal, so I'm giving myself one more rest day to catch up on my sleep (I'll be in bed by 8:30) and really looking forward to getting back out there - slowly(!) - tomorrow.

Eliz

• JeanK Rookie 64 posts since
    Mar 9, 2007

Just another newbie chiming in to say thank you Nick for the advice!  Keep it coming!  Some days as I run I wonder if I look like and idiot going so slow and if I have any business being out there.  Thanks for the encouragement.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...