Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

52392 Views 757 Replies Latest reply: Sep 8, 2008 9:31 AM by Irish Patty Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 51 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    15. May 13, 2007 7:57 AM (in response to tomwhite)
    Re: looking for WASSARD/WOODY 116........Vol, 6

Linda, you're builing a good base by going slow...that's the latest kick for us RUNNING MOMS is the low heart rate training...I haven't started it because I"m in the middle of training for my race (14 days) but I might consider it when I get done.

• Irish Patty Amateur 292 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    16. May 13, 2007 12:51 PM (in response to tomwhite)

Hello all,
    Back from the Race for the Cure and I did 6 minutes approx. faster than last year. I don't have an official time yet. I ended up walking a bit but only for half a minute or a minute at a time. It just served to get my breathing back to where I wanted it. Next race I may try running at a definately faster pace and walking for 30 seconds to catch my breath. I think I'll end up with a faster time over all.

Linda yoga counts as a workout. For me anyway.

Shell how a the calves. Not too long now. Thing positive thoughts. Your probably pretty tired.

Happy Mothers Day all.
    Patty

17. May 13, 2007 2:35 PM (in response to tomwhite)

happy mother's day!

19. May 13, 2007 9:07 PM (in response to tomwhite)

well the 12 went very poorly on Sat. I am at total exhaustion, not in pain, but my legs are weak and heavy like the feeling after doing weights but one that's not going away quickly...coach told me to get a massage (got a cousin who does that) drink water, drink water and drink more water, ice baths, take today and monday off, ride my bike easy for 30 on Tuesday and we'll see how I feel after that.  Cross your fingers

• Kimble053 Legend 233 posts since
    Jan 26, 2007
    20. May 14, 2007 7:16 AM (in response to tomwhite)

Hello, Tom!  Hello mentees!

Well, I started running this Spring, finished the C25K (took a little longer than I expected as I had a set-back) and I'm very happy to be doing the OHR now! My current running goal is to complete the OHR, and then we'll see!

Linda - I think you have achieved a lot!  Most people, given your setbacks, would have given up!  You are made of tough stuff, and it will all pay off in the end!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Kimble

22. May 14, 2007 7:57 AM (in response to tomwhite)

Morning Kimble!

Morning Tom...what's "quinince"

• Irish Patty Amateur 292 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    23. May 14, 2007 10:52 AM (in response to tomwhite)

Hello all,
    I ran again today. I only did about 2 miles. The reason was I didn't feel like going to the gym. Tonight I intend to go and swim. "Reminder to self, the slacking must be over."

Shell I remember that feeling. Your plan is a good idea. The rest isn't going to be an instant fix, but you'll feel better on your next run.

Kimble good job on finishing the c25k and starting the OHR (the one hour runner). Don't push and it'll be fine you have a good base. If you need to repeat a week, go ahead. We've all been there.

Linda, Shell did you have a good mom's day?
    Have a good day.
    Patty

24. May 14, 2007 1:14 PM (in response to tomwhite)

IP! Don't be slacker! (J/K)

Legs are already starting to feel better...I think I'll be ok 

• woody116 Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 17, 2003
    26. May 14, 2007 11:55 PM (in response to tomwhite)

Hey everyone. I cant believe that this has hung on for so long!!!!!!! Tom, that is a huge, huge credit to you.

Things are incredibly hectic on my end. I abstained from the internet forums for a long time. However, I have kept my running log on here, and just decided tonite to check out the forum. What a shock when I saw this is on volume 6!

Anyway, I am pretty busy. My division at work has been downsized from 5 detectives to now just me. My hands are full, and most days I just dont know which way to turn. SWAT is still good. I really wish we could be come a full time team.
    I have taken up some mixed martial arts these last few months. A person doesnt realize their cardio level until you go thru one of those workouts. Wow. I have had a very rude, but good, awakening.
    My running hasnt improved a lot over the last year, only because of lack of doing so. I took some time off from lifting and running in the fall, and have paid dearly for it. Now I am trying to get back on the old horse.

Tonite I ran 1 1/2 mile at the school, followed by two laps of sprinting the straights and walking the curves. My time left a little to be desired but I am chalking that up to the strong winds we have here today. 20-25 mph winds could easily add time to your run, right? 
    I had a good lifting workout this afternoon, but my chest and shoulders are feeling it. But, its all good.

This is enough of a novel for now, I will make an effort to drop by soon and catch up with everyone. Have a great week all.

Woody

• Live and Learn Legend 305 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    27. May 15, 2007 1:18 AM (in response to tomwhite)

Hey Woody!  Great to hear from you.  Wow that's quite the downsizing in your department...

Shell - sounds like you've been overtraining a bit, glad the resting is helping.

Kimble - thanks    you are doing great with the OHR program & definitely have the right attitude.

IP - Don't be so hard on yourself. You always come right back with a vengeance... very nice Mother's Day! !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

Oh yeah, my running...  so I feel better today... guess that not pushing it running was what I needed to do.  So, I got on the TM tonight, did 2 miles at 3.6 - very slow & definitely in that enjoy your runs mode, deep breathing the majority of the time (just like Saturday).  guess this needs to be my strategy for awhile, something about building a base??    

Linda

• Kimble053 Legend 233 posts since
    Jan 26, 2007
    28. May 15, 2007 6:32 AM (in response to tomwhite)

Hi, everyone!

OMG -The actual Woody!  So nice too "see" you and read what you've been doing!

Hope everyone on this thread is doing well!

Aww, Linda you musn't get despondent.  (((L)))   Just wanted to say also that I was thinking about you and I just thought - you know, that term "cardio" (which is what running is, after all) refers to both heart and lung health.  No matter how little you might think you are doing, it must be benefitting your lungs/bronchials by strengthening them & increasing their endurance.  If you weren't running for all you know your symptoms could be worse and this is actually really good for you!  I would think though, that, frustrating though it must be, as slow as possible and steady and regular must be good for your lungs!  It's not as though you are wanting to go and sprint all out!  Also, you are base-building and when your lungs do let you go further/faster you will have done the groundwork!  Hope all that makes sense, but just my tuppence-worth (a good British phrase, that!)

Did W4D1 of the OHR today. Still going well, although stupid me accidentally put the resistance at the wrong level - wondered why I was sweating buckets (sorry for TMI!) Tom - the OHR carries on where the C25K left off - the first three weeks are 3 x 30 min runs (to stabilize at the distance) and after that the first run remains at 30 mins throughout the 10 weeks and the second and third runs build up to 40 and 60 mins respectively! 60 mins is a loooooong way!

'Bye for now!

Kimble

----

"When the going gets tough, the tough put lipstick on!"
    Kimble

29. May 15, 2007 7:02 AM (in response to tomwhite)

ooooooooooooooooh, so YOU're WOODY! Nice to meet you!

Linda...glad you had a good run

Morning Kimble!

I get to ride my bike for 30 and report back to coach and see what he says about running!

1 2 3 4 ... 51 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...