Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

52057 Views 757 Replies Latest reply: Sep 8, 2008 9:31 AM by Irish Patty Go to original post 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 Previous Next
  • Irish Patty Amateur 292 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    750. Aug 8, 2008 11:02 AM (in response to tomwhite)
    Re: looking for WASSARD/WOODY 116........Vol, 6

Tom I swear i didn't race it. I just took it easy and finished each segment. I came in last in my age group. I looked it up and it was the bike that did it for me. If I had done better there I would have not been last in my division. Oh well. I didn't hurt anything and I wasn't too sore the next day. I'll try not to do laundry though. It's just so hard to resist. Heading to a Philly's game tonight.

I ran 2 miles and did an upper-body weight workout on Tuesday. Wednesday I rode my bike for 20 minutes and then ran 2 miles. I took yesterday as a rest day and it looks like today will be one too.

Glad to hear everything is well. I'll be thinking about Pickles today and wishing her continued good news.

Patty

• Live and Learn Legend 305 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    752. Aug 24, 2008 11:23 AM (in response to tomwhite)

Hi guys -

I'm really sorry I've been MIA so long, life has been really crazy, my computer doesn't work on hot, sunny days (gotta love that), so time has been limited..  oh & maybe I've been distressed about my general health which relates to the running too of course.  Well, I am FINALLY feeling better.  I actually made it 3 days without anti-inflammatories this week - a miracle! So, the neck is still getting better slowly.   I have run at least 3 days a week the last 3 weeks   This week being:

Mon - 2.71 run/walk -warmup 15 min walk then, 20/4, 6/3 

Thurs - 2.75 run/walk - warmup 15 min walk then, 10/3, 10/3, 5/3

Sat - 2.85 run/walk - warmup 10 min walk, then 10/3, 10/3, 10/3

Sun - 3 run/walk - warmup 10 min walk, then 10/3, 10/3, 12/3

I had to back it downafter Monday cuz I had some problems..  massive headache, exhaustion Tues & Wed.. I think Monday was too much.

IP - how are you doing?  are you still doing the 2 mile runs?

Tom - how are you feeling? how is Pickles?  So, I found this book by a Teresa Hale that runs a clinic (or a least did in 1999 when the book was written) with that breathing method formulated by that Russian doctor.  I believe that is the doc & method you told me about awhile ago. The book is called Breathing Easy & has methods to retrain your breathing, unblock your nose, and says that asthma is caused by overbreathing & bronchospasms from overbreathing too...  so I figured what do I have to lose?  it was sounding pretty familiar...  I mean, I know I overbreathe, and bronchiospasms are the whole reason I'm on meds.  It also tells you to breathe through your nose all the time...  well I breathe through my mouth ALL the time.       So, I did the day 1 exercise & was breathing LOTS better!!  So, I got on the treadmill today and didn't take my meds first.   I figure its a test to see how it goes.  I breathed through my nose the whole time which was an absolute miracle!  Amazingly I had a lot more energy at the end..  I guess this is what you mean, when you say I'm working a lot harder than most.. lol..    well, the unblocking your nose thing helped a lot.. had to use it a couple of times while on the treadmill, so am wondering if that has contributing to a lot of my problems.. anyway, its a happy day with a good deal of hope

Dec 14, 2007
    754. Sep 3, 2008 2:01 PM (in response to tomwhite)

Hello Rin & Tom!

Linda I'm glad to know your're back running/walking. I hope the breathing works for you. I always concentrate on breathing out. I do it so I exhale strong enough that when breathing in I will get a good enough amount that will fill the lungs. I'll also try using my nose more and less my mouth.

Well as you probably guessed I've been slacking. I've had about 5 runs in the past 3 weeks. Not good. I feel like a blob so I better get off my butt and start running more. I need to get some swims in. Dh adjusted the bike seat, but I still haven't ridden it yet. He only fixed it yesterday.

Have a good day all.

Patty

• Live and Learn Legend 305 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    756. Sep 7, 2008 11:24 AM (in response to tomwhite)

Hi there -

Well this week was a little rougher.   I upped speed to a whopping 3.8 on Tuesday & was able to run 20 min straight.. but then the next couple days was tired again...  so maybe that was too much or allergy problems.. who knows? but nose was a little more of a problem & was having problems breathing through the nose.  So, didn't run on Thursday, & ran on Friday - kept it at 3.8 & did 5 sets of 5/2 runwalk instead..  didn't run yesterday, but did walk about 1 mile outside, & then this morning tried again.. kept it at 3.8 & did 7/3 7/3 5/3 & was whooped.... nose was really clogged up.  Thinking maybe I should try one of those nose sprays to clear my nose in the a.m. Maybe that would help me breathe throught the nose better.

IP - hoping you're figuring out that schedule. Its so hard with kids, I tell ya! Have been working on a 504 plan for my son.  Hoping that will cause us all less stress this school year.

Tom - how are you doing? 

Dec 14, 2007

Hello Tom & Linda! I must confess Linda that I can't use the kids as an excuse as mine are grown. What is a 504 schedule? You sound like you're doing well. Keep up the good work.

I ran/walked on Saturday and did the stair machine at the gym. Sunday I ran/walked and did a weight workout. The run walk was because I'm trying to go at a faster rate and I can't hold that pace for too long. I will gradually go at the faster pace for a longer distance. Today I ran 2 slow miles. I hope to make it to the gym and get a swim in tonight.

Have a good day all.

Patty

1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...