Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2233 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2012 11:15 AM by wartellaka RSS
Angelique Simpson Pro 92 posts since
Mar 24, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 6, 2011 7:54 AM

Has BodyGlide changed its formula?

For those of you that use bodyglide, I'm wondering if you have purchased any new product recently and whether or not you have noticed a change? I've been using bodyglide for years and I recently ran out and had to buy a new one. Unfortunately I found that the stick seemed "dry" as compared with past ones, I was worried that maybe it was a bad batch so I picked up another one at a different store, and even a different size and find that one also seems dry. I feel as though I'm not getting quite the "coat" of bodyglide when I apply it now and that I'm getting hot spots and chaffing where I have applied it when I didn't used to. Has anyone else experienced this or noticed any changes in recent purchases of bodyglide? I'm wondering if I need to try out a different product now, not sure how to handle it.

Thanks!

~Angelique

------------------------------------------

http://acupofrunning.blogspot.com/

Race History
5K - Apr 2009: 39:00
5K - Jun 2009: 36:55
5K - Sep 2009: 34:06
10K - Oct 2009: 1:13:45
5K - Nov 2009: 34:23
5K - Feb 2010: 32:28
Half Marathon - Apr 2010: 2:39:06
5K - May 2010: 29:49
10K - Jun 2010: 1:01:48

5K - Aug 2010: 27:57

Half Marathon - Oct 2010: 2:12:18

10K - Nov 2010: 52:44 (PR)

5K - Feb 2011: 23:45

Half Marathon - Apr 2011: 1:49:18

Marathon - May 2011: 3:56:05

Half Marathon - Oct 2011: 1:49:14 (PR)

5K - Nov 2011: 22:20 (PR)

Marathon - Dec 2011: 3:41:42 (PR)

• crl8686 Legend 1,293 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    1. Sep 25, 2011 8:53 PM (in response to Angelique Simpson)

More likely it's related to the storage conditions before it got to the store shelf. I bought a new container of BodyGlide yesterday (I've been using it for several years) and used the new stuff this morning on a 7 mi run. The stick worked perfectly fine, normal consistency, nothing different from the past. Out of curiousity I checked the ingredients list on the old and new sticks, and they were identical. In your case, perhaps the two batches of BodyGlide spent some time in a hot truck or in the sun on a loading dock and that could have messed up their consistency.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

• Sharpe18 Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 24, 2011
    3. Oct 24, 2011 8:37 AM (in response to Angelique Simpson)

I thought there was a change in Body Glide too until I notice they came out with a series of products like the Anti-Chafe Balm http://www.greatracenutrition.com/Body-Glide-Original-Anti-Chafe-Balm-p/bg_ab1.htm&Click=18619

• j9hannum Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Jan 14, 2012 6:31 PM (in response to Sharpe18)

I have the same problem.  I've been using Bodyglide for a few years now and rely on it daily.  The new Bodyglide stick I just got last month was very different from my older sticks.  The new stick is the consistency of a hard antiperspirant (almost crumbly), whereas my old sticks are more the consistency of chapstick.  I can't get a thick enough coat using the new one for it to be effective.  So I emailed Bodyglide explaining my observation and asked them if they changed the formula.  They replied the same day:  "We are sorry to hear about your experience.  The softness can vary by batch so if you could please tell me the batch number/expiration date as well as your address I can send out a replacement."  I did, and within 2 days I received a new stick along with some samples of Bodyglide "Liquified Powder" which I thought was a nice touch.  However, even though the new stick is a different batch and expiration date, it is no different - it is too dry.  Does anyone have any suggestions for other products to use?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,269 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    5. Jan 15, 2012 7:09 AM (in response to j9hannum)

Vaseline, but it can stain your shirts. Some people use things like Desitin or A+D or similar ointments.

Len

Len

• Chattanooga Runner Amateur 7 posts since
    Sep 26, 2008
    6. Jan 15, 2012 11:07 AM (in response to Angelique Simpson)

Greetings,

I am a runner, cyclist and a tri-athlete. My tri coach introduced me to Pipeline Products Chamois Butter. It is designed for cyclists, but it also works for running. I use it for triathlons and it works great for the ride and the run. I thought the swim would wash it off but it doesn't. It does not stain and comes out in the wash. I find it is much better than Glide, which I used until I found Butter. You might want to try it out to see if you like it any better.

Tom

• Stombs02 Rookie 9 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    7. Feb 15, 2012 5:09 PM (in response to Angelique Simpson)

I would have to agree with you in the past I would use body glide and have no issues, for my past race earlier this month I had bought a new stick of it and I felt as if I was coating my body with body glide the entire time to not chafe!

XoXo. Stombs

"When u cross the finish line no matter how slow no matter how fast itll change ur life forever"
    --Dick Beardsley

• wartellaka Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 21, 2011
    8. Apr 11, 2012 11:15 AM (in response to Stombs02)

I spoke with a representative at Bodyglide and they told me the government bought up the complete supply of one of their ingredients so they had to reformulate.  They said the first batch came out a lot harder than they had envisioned.  The next batches were a bit better, but they said you have to apply it a lot more liberally than the original formula.  I chaffed on a 7 mile run this past weekend and that had never happened before with the old formula.  I complained and after I send them my lot # and the expiration date, they will send me some of their new lotion/powder product.  If it doesn't work, then I might give the Paceline Products of Chamois Butt'r a try.  It's so frustrating when you have something that works so well and the formula is changed.  Hope the replacement product works!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...