Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

14700 Views 192 Replies Latest reply: Aug 9, 2007 7:16 AM by txshell Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 Previous Next
  • AndiD Rookie 107 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. Aug 8, 2007 10:12 AM (in response to originalsuds)
    Re: Running Moms and Dads, Wednesday

I am popping in quick from work.

Jeanne - I have read that 3-4 miles of cycling for every 1 mile of running. Try to keep to routes that do not require stopping - I opt for mostly right hand turns so I don't need to stop for traffic. And, try not to coast. Just like you need to continuously move your legs to run, you need to try to keep your legs moving while cycling. Good Luck!

Oh - you dad's might appreciate this.  Last night we went to the local ball field and our seats were in the midst of a group of college students.  They were all from Norway - 300 of them.  They are staying at Stonehill for 2 weeks and then going on to the college's they will study at for the year.  The women outnumbered the men by like 4-1 and they were all young, thin, blonde, perky boobed!  Thank God I have good self esteem!!!

• jeans541 Rookie 73 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    61. Aug 8, 2007 10:13 AM (in response to originalsuds)

Good morning!

I got up early (if you can call 7:30 early) to get my run in before it got hot here.  No luck, it was already over 75 with high humidity.  I had a really hard time controlling my HR todayespecially when there was no shade.  I did get to run in my new shoes, though!  Anyone else watching HR notice that being gassy can raise your HR?  I hardly saw 140's at all during the first few miles of my run todayeither walking under 140's or running over 150...until I farted.  Then my HR was much more even.  Anyone else?  no?  just me?  LOL

I have to take my almost 5yr old to a check up today, so I should get through the shower and clean up the kiddos, too.

QOD--Ty, I would get the surgery done asap and worry about the b-day later. I would be stressed about the upcoming surgery and all the what-ifs and wouldn't be at ease until it was over and my child was healed or atleast healing. If it's a matter of a day or two before her b-day then wait of course, but if you can get her in a couple weeks before her b-day I would do it.

Happy running everyone!

• mtsnorider098 Rookie 37 posts since
    Jul 5, 2006
    62. Aug 8, 2007 10:16 AM (in response to originalsuds)

Yes, my 6th grader keeps begging to go shopping for school clothes and supplies... I keep putting it off.    She brought home the supply list last night - Good Ole' Wally World has to have those dang things by the door.

QOD2:  How many miles per week do you run?  So far I am lucky to get 18-20 in per week with the LSD.

• Sisu68 Rookie 123 posts since
    Mar 5, 2006
    63. Aug 8, 2007 10:18 AM (in response to originalsuds)

5 mile tempo run on the TM done!!  Thank goodness it's rainy and my kids are content to play and watch a movie!  I ran the first mile in 9:30 and then three miles at a 8:10 pace and then the last mile at 9:40.  It's so much harder to run on the TM!!

Shoes feel pretty good. I felt my heel slip just the teeniest bit in my right shoe and that is my biggest concern... I'll have to do another run in them to see what the deal is.

Have a good day everyone!

• jbrindamour Rookie 171 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    64. Aug 8, 2007 10:21 AM (in response to originalsuds)

Dang people, 3 pages by 9:30?? 

Morning Suds, Ty, Fit, Lee, Karla, Kathy, Amanda, Shell, Andi, MFarr, Alemma, RFF, DevilsFan, MtSno, Runrmom . Looks like everyone is dealing with the heat and the rain and most of your are getting your runs in anyway. Good job!

Jeanne - Healing vibes cometh your way....

Sorry Sisu you didn't get your run in.

Abb, glad you like your shoes....thats huge

Ty, your tenacity is amazing - you turns those lemons into lemonade

Have not run since Saturday. Of course my roofing took up my Sunday rest day and all day Monday. So last night I was going to do 8. Well first I'll unplug the shower drain. Not happening. I worked on that puppy for two hours with drain cleaner, plunger, snake....didn't budge. Very unsatisfying. Since its 10PM now, I resolve to get up at 5 and do 13 to salvage the week. So I wake up at 2:10 naseous as all hell. Did not puke but felt like hell and made multiple potty trips for the next three hours or so. Finally felt good enough to go back to bed at 5:30. OK so now my Wednesday morning run is shot. I still feel only about 85% but made it to work. I am not ingesting anything just in case. My last change to salvage the week is to head out around 9 tonight. Hopefully we will be out of the 90s by then. I almost hope it is raining to keep it cool. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Roof update - What looked like it might have been a problem area where the addition ties into the main roof has stayed nice and dry. I may just make this thing leak proof after all. Hopefully I can get this thing finished up this weekend! Tarps = lifesavers

Heard a great new track on Sirius from LCD Soundsystem - All My Friends. Liked it instantly. Downloaded it and will be taking it on my run tonight.

Hope everyone deals with the heat and survives!

• runrmommy Rookie 41 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    65. Aug 8, 2007 10:28 AM (in response to originalsuds)

Morning Jeans!

TAMMY~~ Since I finished my HM training, I've been shooting for 20-25/wk, but I think this will be the first week I make it! I really want to get it up to 35/wk SOON!

CJ~~ Hmmm....maybe you should go easy on yourself and make sure you give your body a chance to fight off the bug.  ~** bug fighting vibes~***~

----

Kristin

• batmomm Rookie 87 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    66. Aug 8, 2007 10:30 AM (in response to originalsuds)

geez I'm with CJ you guy s got me lulled into a false sense of security with the weeks of only 3 pages for the day and now BAM 3 pages by 10???  seriously I do love it but i'll do my shouts later when I can focus better !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

I am hydrating Jeanne-yep will be running 7 tonight with the 110 heat index. I'm not MAFing but I do expect that I will have a similar type shuffle thing going on. Then the group of us will go out to eat, god help the other patrons!!

Jeanne-healthy happy feet for you!!

Sisu-it's so great ot see you here so often!! Hope the shoes work out andyou get toeneails again. Have you ever considered just putting a wad of lambswool up above your toes?

marianne-I still have those sneaks from VT in my car. I listed them on ebay but if they don't sell, they're yours! I'll let you know.

I've got to get out of my pj's for ds' karate...back later.

hi tony baloney!!!

----

"Ever notice how it's always runners who find dead bodies?...

In fact, if it weren't for runners, you wonder how many of these crimes would ever get solved. Better lace 'em up. Because someone, somewhere is missing. So do your civic duty.

Run like an animal.

"

click here to add your running event[/URL" target="_blank">

• IEatHills4Meals Rookie 506 posts since
    Nov 21, 2007
    67. Aug 8, 2007 10:34 AM (in response to originalsuds)

OMG, I will create a webpage Ilovemydoctor.com!!!! He is the bestest!! I was surprised I stopped running...lol he didn't expect me to behave  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!
    Well, making a long med explanation short, he gave a cortisone shot to avoid calcification. Yes, I can run. He said I could today if I wanted to, but it's better to give a couple of days, so I might swim and/or walk.

When I am done with DD's mess, he will start investigating my right hip chronic crap. He will see me immediately after one of my LSDs at peak. I just need to give him the day and he will adjust the time issues. He also wants to put me on the TM and come check my form (his office is right beside DH's gym). For that it was kinda funny cuz he said he usually check people after 20/30 minutes on the TM, when the form usually drops, but in my case he will have to give me a couple of hours...lol

He is going to get me through my 3 marathons and make sure I'll be 100% for Umstead50  

Ok, I need to stop talking like a chat machine. I am at the gym drinking a cup of coffee to celebrate the good stuff  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

I'm slacking today with the shout outs, I know... Sorry... I will get back on track this pm when DD naps, if she naps...

Dec 14, 2007
    68. Aug 8, 2007 10:38 AM (in response to originalsuds)

Yay TY!!!!!

That's such good news!!!!  Woo Hoo!

• tpenn40 Rookie 44 posts since
    Sep 19, 2006
    69. Aug 8, 2007 10:40 AM (in response to originalsuds)

Ty – I missed it – what’s going on with DD?  (((((DD)))))  Good luck on your “lsd” and I hope your hip gets better soon.  QOD – I would have the party before the surgery.

Suds – even if you don’t run a 3:35, you’ll be closer to BQ than I will…but the beer will taste the same. Isn’t it amazing how running in the heat makes beer taste so much better?

Lee – good job on your 3 (hey I made a rhyme) !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

Fit45 – good job on your 6.5 before breakfast.

Karla – have a great run in spite of the heat & humidity

Shell - …maybe pneumonia – OR you could be allergic to your ex. Badump CHHH!!! (bump bump bump – is this thing on?)

Alemma – sorry about sick DD. ((((((DD))))))) You have such a great aerobic base that missing a few runs shouldn’t hurt you.

Marianne – glad to hear you had a great run!

Andi – good job on your run – and yes rain would be welcome, I bet that felt great!

Hi Abby

Hi Jamaica

Hi everyone else - sorry gotta get to work!

Last night I ran 6 miles at 9 pm. When I started it was 86 deg F, and the heat index was 89 – I was disappointed, I wanted some REAL HEAT. Guess I’ll just have to start running at noon. However, for some reason, my body didn’t allow a pace faster than 10 min/mile except on the last mile which was a 9 min mile. Have any of you noticed the heat slowing you down?

Have a great day everyone!!!

Jul 5, 2006
    70. Aug 8, 2007 10:40 AM (in response to originalsuds)

quote:

Originally posted by runrmommy:

Morning Jeans!

TAMMY~~ Since I finished my HM training, I've been shooting for 20-25/wk, but I think this will be the first week I make it! I really want to get it up to 35/wk SOON!

CJ~~ Hmmm....maybe you should go easy on yourself and make sure you give your body a chance to fight off the bug.  ~** bug fighting vibes~***~

Kristin - I am scared to ask what you were running for HM training?   I am in HM training mode - but I can't seem to get my short runs in during the week.  URGH!  Part smoke - mostly motivation.

• karla43 Rookie 76 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    71. Aug 8, 2007 10:46 AM (in response to originalsuds)

txshell...........I agree, you know I work in an elementary school and at the end of the year teachers are giving away kleenex...its just crazy to request 3 boxes from each student!!!!!

runnrymommy.........enjoy your trail run again tonight!

jeans541.......okay thanks for the good laugh!!!!!

mtsnorider.............usually 20-24 per week. some weeks less depending on whats going on. Not a high mileage momma here!!

sisu........good job!!

CJ...........sorry you were sick during the night!! Thats the worst feeling in the world!!

batmomm..............good morning!! Have a good run tonight and a nice dinner with your friends!!

Ty............that sounds like some good news!!!

----

Karla

“Gold medals aren’t really made of gold. They’re made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.”

- Dan Gable

Running Log[/URL" target="_blank">
    My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

MySpace[/URL" target="_blank">

Dec 14, 2007
    72. Aug 8, 2007 10:53 AM (in response to originalsuds)

quote:

Originally posted by mtsnorider:

Kristin - I am scared to ask what you were running for HM training? I am in HM training mode - but I can't seem to get my short runs in during the week. URGH! Part smoke - mostly motivation.

I did the CR beginner program, so it never really got that high and I missed a couple of long runs during that time due to an issue with my ankle, so no worries! I'm sure you'll be fine!

I can't imagine that smoke and heat combo!  Do you know anyone else who's running the HM that you can hook up with for training runs?  I know I would beg my DH or DS to come with me on the bike for some of my runs when I wasn't motivated...that helped.

Jul 5, 2006
    73. Aug 8, 2007 10:59 AM (in response to originalsuds)

quote:

Originally posted by runrmommy:

I did the CR beginner program, so it never really got that high and I missed a couple of long runs during that time due to an issue with my ankle, so no worries! I'm sure you'll be fine!

I can't imagine that smoke and heat combo! Do you know anyone else who's running the HM that you can hook up with for training runs? I know I would beg my DH or DS to come with me on the bike for some of my runs when I wasn't motivated...that helped.

The smoke is pretty bad these days because we have 2 fires within 100 miles that are over 40,000 acres now. Course, just like the saying - don't like the weather wait 5 minutes - it is a little breezy but beautiful blue sky now. UGH!

Yes, I have my DH and my running partner but unless I am meeting my running partner - I am the biggest slacker there is... We have essentially 8 full weeks of training left.  In Sept we plan to run a mid-week longer run besides the LSD together so that should help.  Hopefully the smoke will disappear by then.

• txshell Rookie 488 posts since
    Jun 26, 2007
    74. Aug 8, 2007 11:02 AM (in response to originalsuds)

HEY HEY TONY!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...