Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2270 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2011 4:56 PM by JasonFitz1
Running Aficionado Pro 188 posts since
Jun 7, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 14, 2011 5:51 AM

Critical Calf Running Stretches Help You Avoid Injuries

Have you ever experienced pain from  running? Then you need to wake up to some facts. Your pain is a perilous  condition if neglected. You need to give some attention to some major  muscle groups in the calves if you experience pain from running.

The  two main muscle groups that need to be addressed are: Gastrocenemius  and the soleus. Most of your fellow running partners know the calf  stretch exercise in which you essentially stand and push against a wall.  While doing your stretch, keeping the knees straight or bending them  makes a whole world of difference. If you keep the knees in a straight  manner while you are doing those calf stretches then you are allowing  the gastrocenemius muscles to stretch. If you do the same running  stretches with your knees bent then the soleus muscles stretch. Most of  your fellow runners are not completely aware of this difference and this  plays an vital role.

Read more about Critical Calf Running Stretches Help You Avoid Injuries...

Marathon Running

• nowirun4fun Legend 208 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010

blah blah blah.  bullocks.

Some people swear by stretching and are convinced without it they would be more injury prone and guess what - there are probably just as many, including myself who think it isn't a must for everyone.  We're all different.  If it works for you, and you enjoy it, by all means go for it.

But, it doesn't work for me.  Doesn't do one dang thing.  I've not really stretched in almost a year and I've been less injured during that time than when I forced myself to stretch because so many stretch evangelists think it is a must.  It isn't.

Get a little tired of these articles from so call stretch experts who convince people if they only stretched the perfect right amount then all their running issues would disappear.

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

Great article. Tks for sharing. Granted some ppl may be more naturally limber and not need stretching, but those who are inflexible, need all the help we can get.

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• JasonFitz1 Legend 575 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009

Actually, stretching is not going to cure running pain in 99% of cases - especially when the pain is acute and at the beginning stages of an injury. If you are experiencing pain, your best options are to ice it, rest, sleep a lot, and determine why your painful area hurts in the first place. Once you have that figured out, you can start a strengthening routine to help fix that problem area.

Not only that, but static stretching is just plain bad for runners. It decreases your running economy and makes you run slower. Yup, your dad's pre-run stretching program made him slower.

Recent research is also showing that inflexibility is genetically predetermined (so you can only get so much more flexible) and it actually makes you faster (see here: http://sweatscience.com/inflexibility-is-genetically-determined-and-makes-you-fast/). So....still want to do that calf wall stretch?

Cheers,

- Jason.

Strength Running

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...