Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

6881 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2011 1:22 AM by FatBaby24
az_guard Rookie 3 posts since
Jul 30, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 15, 2011 7:51 PM

Frustrated with my running

Looking for some advice on how to improve running abilities.  I'm 47 and still in pretty good shape.  I think I'm an above average road bike rider, although hills still give me a rough time, but when it comes to running I am seeing very little improvement in stamina and speed.  I can generally hold a 9min pace for my 8 mile runs and can do a little better than 8.5min miles for shorter runs but I seem to be stuck at that current ability.  I try to vary my week between 2 or 3 mile steady pace runs, 2 or 3 mile interval runs (intervals of .25 or .30 at a 6.5min pace) and longer days of 8 miles at a 9min pace.  Most of this is treadmill running right now as Phoenix AZ has been 100+ for to many days straight to count.  Between my deployment time in Iraq, a year ago, to now I've been running 4 or 5 days almost every week.  An additional piece of information is that although my thighs may feel worn down during a run it seems to be a lack of air that gets me the most.  The ony change has been the addition of longer 8 mile runs I started about 2 months ago.  My fustration is in listening to friends describe being able to transition from a 16min 2 mile run to a 14min 2 mile run with just a few weeks of hard work. 

I'm wondering if I'm missing something that will enable me to pick up and sustain the pace a bit or am I probably just reached my full potential? 

Thanks in advance for any advice.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points