Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

904 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 8, 2011 5:17 PM by Melle Mel
Melle Mel Rookie 2 posts since
Sep 27, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 20, 2011 2:29 PM

Anyone finish the C25k & now starting Hal Higdon's 12-week half-marathon training?

I've just completed C25k, ran the Susan G. Komen 5k in NYC on Sunday the 18th, and am now starting Hal Higdon's 12-week half-marathon plan for a Jan. 7 Disney half-marathon. Anyone else making this leap? Am I crazy? I could barely walk after the 5k for some reason - I probably pushed too hard. (My practice runs were ok; sometimes I had pain, sometimes not. I'm about 10 lbs. overweight.) Am now worried about whether I am overshooting by attempting to do a half-marathon, if a 5k can take me down like that! I'll do my first 10k around Thanksgiving. In any case, would love to hear from others just starting the 12-week plan. Or any half-marathon plan!! It seems IMPOSSIBLE and rather terrifying at the moment.

• Terranss Legend 268 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011

Hi Melle,

Your situation, and level of motivation, seems to me to be pretty unique.   Most C25K graduates go on to B210K, or some other 10K training program.  A half-marathon is over 4 times the 5K distance, so it's definitely not a joke of a distance.  I'm a little concerned about how wiped out you were after the 5K, too.  I'm curious to know what exactly the pains you were feeling, as this can either speak to form or fitness level, both of which could/should affect your decision to run the half.

All that being said, however, the Hal Higdon Novice Half Marathon plan is very good at easing you into the distance.  Weeks 1 and 2 are not too different from Week 9 of C25K, so I think it's definitely possible for you to do it.  A few suggestions for you (from my own half/full experience):

1) Don't ignore the stretch/strengthen portion of the training.  Your core (as well as the rest of your body) needs to be strong in order to handle the stress of 13.1 miles.  Do the lifts that are recommended, or supplement with some other kind of strength training that focuses on core/legs. 

2) Jan 7 is 14, almost 15 weeks away.  Repeat a couple of the middle weeks so that your buildup is not too fast.

3) Slow down!  Your half pace won't be your 5K pace.

4) Don't ignore the rest days

5) Because you're jumping into a long distance training program so fast, your adherence to the schedule is even more important.  If you miss too many days (injury/illness/vacation, etc.) then you're going to have a rough time.

I don't mean to worry you or anything, but you do need to be aware of what you're jumping into.  Best of luck, and run healthy!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points