Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1318 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2011 8:09 AM by Rennmaus RSS
Rennmaus Pro 61 posts since
Jun 28, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 22, 2011 7:54 AM

2 races within one week?

I have been running regularly since April and run pretty much every day. Right now I run between 2 miles on a bad day and 5 miles on a good day. I am planning two races this fall/winter. I want to participate in a 5k trail run in December and I want to run a 10k (a regular one, not trail run). I have been running races years ago but those will be my first races in a long time. The one in December I will run for sure. I could be running a 5k or 10k exactly one week before the trail race. Is this something to recommend? two races within a week? And should I go for the 5k first as I haven't run races in a long time and also the route will be hilly. I am running hills a lot and love them, but I am not sure if a 10k (it would be my first ever) and hills would be to much? Should I go for another easier 10k or go for the hilly 5k? I definitely want to run a 10k soon. I am about one mile shy from a 10k right now. It should be doable within the next two months I guess. Any advice?

Thanks!

Britta

XTERRA Crystal Cove Trail Run 6k - 52:33.5

Redondo Beach Superbowl Run 10k - 01:05:49

Big Sur Half Marathon on Monterey Bay 11/18/2012

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    1. Sep 24, 2011 11:04 PM (in response to Rennmaus)
    2 races within one week?

Normally it takes about one day of recovery (no hard running or racing) for each mile raced. So racing a 5K and 10K one week apart should not be a problem for you.

I've raced 5K's and 10K's on consecutive weeks a number of times - sometimes that's just the way a race schedule works out. Some have been flat and fast courses, some hilly and others in between. I wouldn't do it for many weeks in a row, but two in a row has never been a problem.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,337 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Sep 25, 2011 8:07 AM (in response to Rennmaus)
    2 races within one week?

I would recommend the 5K the week before, for a number of reasons.

- You haven't raced in a while.

- The race is hilly.

- You haven't been running consistently for very long.

- Running the 5K will allow better recovery for the trail race.

- A trail 5K will be closer to a road 10K in terms of effort.

All in all, a road 5K, followed by a fairly easy recovery week, will leave you better prepared for the trail 5K.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...