Skip navigation

812 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 23, 2006 8:54 PM by esex5032 RSS
jamesb1975 Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 27, 2006 6:29 PM

Weightloss

Hi,

I started training for triathlon last year as a motivator to lose weight.  I have dropped about 35lbs so far but at 240lbs I have even more than that to go.  I have completed 2 sprints so far and have 4 more on my calender.  I also plan on doing an Olympic distance later this summer.  Should I still be trying to lose weight or should I just focus on getting enough calories to make my training effective.  I am pretty slow as it is and I don't want to get even slower but I would think that dropping some more dead weight would have a positive effect as well.  Anyone have any insight on this?  Also at 6'-2" 240lbs, how many calories should I be shooting for anyway.

Thanks,

Jim

• avillasi Amateur 13 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Jun 28, 2006 8:50 AM (in response to jamesb1975)
    Re: Weightloss

I started doing triathlons last year and actually gained weight.  I thought "this is great! I can eat anything I want because I will burn it all off in training".  I was wrong.

Weight loss takes time and the fact that you have already lost 35lbs is awesome!  Finishing any triathlon - whether it is a sprint, Olympic or half-Iron is an accomplishment, but really, sprint distances should not require the average person to consume more calories than you already take in. 

Make sure you are eating five small meals a day - every three hours.  This will help increase your metabolism and which will help you lose weight but you will still be getting the calories you need for training.

You're right, losing the weight will make you faster and you will be able to climb hills better, but losing it too fast will affect your health and may make you prone to injury.

Keep doing what you are doing and the weight will come off and your splits will improve.

• 3moose Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Jul 14, 2006 5:59 PM (in response to jamesb1975)

The 5 small meals is great advice. Make sure that those meals all contain some protein. Too often endurance athletes forget that they need protein to build and rebuild their muscles.

• esex5032 Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Jul 23, 2006 8:54 PM (in response to jamesb1975)

My name is Dr. Christopher Mah and as a nutritionist for many triatheletes the first deficiency I see in all of your diets is not enough protein. As endurance athletes you guys are breaking down your body to fuel yourself thoughout these long training sessions. Amino acids derived from protein are essential to the rebiulding process. So how do you know how much protein to consume? Well a general rule is to consume .75-1 gram of protein for every kg of lean muscle mass. What I like to do is find out what your basal metabolic rate is (how many calories you are burning at rest) from there I look at your body type(are you an ectomorph, mesomorph, or edomorph)this will dictate your protein, fat to carb ratios. Apply ths to your BMR and then titrate by the amount of exercise adding more protein on top of your required needs. The problem is that most of you guys out there are not putting in your baseline nutrition. Resistant training added to your routine is key to long term weight loss. By putting on lean muscle mass you are ensuring that you are burning more calories at rest, plus your giving yourself a larger storage of glycogen for energy purposes triathalon type events.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...