Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3558 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 27, 2011 11:11 AM by lenzlaw RSS
thegameksk Rookie 3 posts since
Sep 25, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 25, 2011 8:08 AM

Running through a sore ankle?

Hey everyone. I just found this community. I am trying to get in shape for a 5k I have on november 20th. At first I was running 6 days a week. I would try to jog as long as i could until side stitches hit me, id walk and then go back to jogging for 3.1 miles. I would do this for 3 days. The other 3 I would jog to my gym which is 1.5 miles away and then lift. I switched that up due to a wrist injury and I started just running/walking 3.1 miles a day for 6 days. I had saw online that 6 days was too much for a beginner so I was going to switch 3 jogging 3 days a week. I jogged last sundayand tuesday. On Thursday I noticed one of my ankles is sore.Its on the outside right above the join. I ran with it yesterday. Is it safe to run through it? I am trying to not miss any running time since I really want to complete the 5k. Also what can I do to prevent this soreness from happening in the future? Thanks.

• JasonFitz1 Legend 572 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    1. Sep 25, 2011 5:35 PM (in response to thegameksk)

There could be a LOT of things causing your pain. Not sure exactly what it feels like, but generally a sore/achey pain is okay to run through. If it's stabbing or sharp then stop because you're doing more damage. Have you tried icing it? That helps a lot with acute pain.

Good luck with your 5k. If you're interested, on 9/26 the Rebel Running Guide comes out. It's an introductory running guide for completing a successful 5k with videos, images, strength workouts, training plans, interviews, etc. Check out my site (in my signature below) if you want in.

Cheers,

- Jason.

Strength Running
  • Mikala_SF Pro 87 posts since
    Apr 14, 2008
    2. Sep 26, 2011 9:16 AM (in response to thegameksk)

If you can run through it and it's not causing you severe pain seems to me it would be ok to keep going as long as it's not getting worse.  I'm no doctor though.  I have had back pain off and on and when it gets severe I take a couple days off but I keep going when it's only achy and sore.  I find the exercise actually seems to help rather than make it worse.  Whatever you do, don't stop altogether, keep at it!!

My weight loss blog, pictures, etc (started in 2007):

http://diaryofanaspiringloser.blogspot.com

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,276 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Sep 27, 2011 11:11 AM (in response to thegameksk)

A better bet would be to start doing exercises to strengthen your ankles. Unfortunately I don't have a handy link to give you but I'm sure you can find some here on Active or on something like YouTube.  Most exercises involve resistance straps or something like a wobble board.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points