Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

977 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2011 7:35 AM by BOSNPM RSS
hlaprea Rookie 2 posts since
Sep 28, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 28, 2011 4:26 AM

10k plans for marathon runners

Hi,

I ran two marathons this year, and now I would like to dedicate the next year improving my 10k (and perhaps half marathon) times before starting training for some other marathon.

I feel that most of these plans are for people that are dedicated 10k, and part of the training is to create endurance. But considering that I already have the endurance, should I have a different approach? What would you suggest?

My objective would be to run a 40 mins 10k. My best PR was 43:30, long before event trying a half marathon. My best half marathon is 1:43, and my best marathon is 3:56.

Thanks in advance for sharing yor experience and opinion.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Sep 28, 2011 6:52 AM (in response to hlaprea)

I am not qualified to give you a educated answer, but based on my times your endurance is where you need a little more work.  Your 10K time is a tad faster, but my half time is 7 mins faster.  I would pick an advance half program and use it for a guide.  I use a coach, so he hits all types of workouts depending on what race I am doing, mostly halfs and fulls.  Mix it up, good luck.

• Terranss Legend 268 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    2. Sep 28, 2011 7:08 AM (in response to hlaprea)

I agree with BOSNPM.  I'd suggest looking into an advanced half marathon training program.  The benefit to this is that the majority of the advanced plans out there recommend running a 10K race halfway through the half-marathon training, which should fit into your plans nicely.   Now that you're used to LSD runs of up to 20 miles, you should be able to push yourself pretty hard for your 12-mile HM training runs.  Also, advanced plans normally include 2 days of speedwork, which is different than a lot of marathon training plans.  The extra day of tempos/hills/track intervals will certainly give your turnover and anaerobic fitness a boost.

Best of luck!

• Kinver88 Pro 80 posts since
    Oct 2, 2010
    3. Sep 28, 2011 1:20 PM (in response to hlaprea)

The key to your 10k training is going to be speed work as you need to try and force your legs to remember what it is like to run fast! The good news is that 10k training is going to feel like a breeze compared to your marathon training as you will be training barely a third of the time that you were during peak marathon training.

Blog - LA Marathon Map

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    5. Sep 29, 2011 7:35 AM (in response to hlaprea)

Hill Repeats will help a lot with your power and speed.  Another type of workout if you have not been doing is Threshold runs.  Good job with your marathon, it takes a lot of heart to hold pace thru the entire marathon.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...