Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

559 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 1, 2011 8:34 PM by emmovia RSS
emmovia Amateur 12 posts since
Sep 28, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 28, 2011 6:52 PM

Calf Injury - Need Advice

I injured my Right calf tonight.  ( I injured the left one a year ago when I started running and was sprinting at boot camp. )

I started C25K in April and now run 3 miles appx 3-4 times/week.

I am a mid-food runner, only heel-strike when exhausted.

I slightly pronate.

Inconsistent pace12:40/mile to 10:40/mile - cannot make any connection.

Stretch each muscle group 30 seconds after I run.

Warm up by walking, 2-3 minutes always.

Weight training 2-4/week.

Had two very sluggist/slow runs so I tried a new technique/form which was definitely much more comfortable/natural position to run.  Much faster pace of appx 9:40/ mile for first 1/4 mile (maybe running too fast), much more comfortable.  Right Calf caught a charley horse after exactly one mile.  Turned around, slowed down, walked home, iced calf for 15 minutes and drank water.  Now it is super tight, feels like I have a knot, NOT sharp pain, though.  Going to do what I did with last year's injury:  message with tiger balm, 15 min heat (not with TB), foam roller until it is gone!  I think I should run the way I feel comfortable (and injury free) and not worry about the most efficient way to run or what my pace is.

Anyone have experience with this?  What helped you?  It isn't just tight, it does ache and feels like I have a lump.  NO swelling/edima, or sign of a blood clot.  Just disappointed because I have to stop to heal this injury for a few weeks.  Then it will be cold. :-(

• nowirun4fun Legend 208 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Sep 28, 2011 7:44 PM (in response to emmovia)
    Re: Calf Injury - Need Advice

Sounds similar to something I had which others seem to have labeled a calf heart attack.  You can google it.

As you are expecting, mine didn't ease up fully for 3-4 weeks until in desparation I tried something new - compressoin type massage.  It was offered for free at a running event, so I took it.  Hurt like hell, but really was a miracle for me.  You might start reading up on myofascial type issues.  saveyourself.ca is a good site.  It's been a god send for me - things I used to classify as injuries, no more.  And, I'm usually not sidelined for weeks any longer waiting for things to loosen up.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points