Skip navigation

1072 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2011 1:29 PM by Kristenrf RSS
ValerieAlbanese Amateur 24 posts since
Jul 30, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 29, 2011 11:36 AM

No Pain, No Gain!

Is it just me or does it feel like the NYC Marathon is approaching in a blink? It's crazy to look back at the beginning of training and think about how the marathon felt so far away. It'll be here before I know it so I'm trying to keep calm and just embrace each part of this process.

I got a little set back with training due to being out of the country and then getting pretty sick upon my return home. I actually missed the NYRR Fitness Games race I'd registered for a couple of weekends ago and I was feeling pretty down all around. As we all know, running is so mental and I was kind of beating myself up in thinking I was losing valuable preparation, etc. The thing is, you simply can't do a thing about it if you're sick. I've had to exercise a lot of patience in this area because I tend to get anxious and it's all for nothing.

At any rate, this past weekend I ran the NYRR 18 mile marathon 'tune-up' and it's my farthest mileage, to date. I was really nervous but I went into it simply thinking 'you can do this' and I took one step at a time. It's definitely the hardest thing I've ever done but finishing might have been the best feeling I've ever had, as well. The race was three loops around Central Park and it's a pretty grueling course with the hills. I've run Central Park ten billion times so I knew three solid loops would be tough. I was honestly curious how my shoes would do for that extended amount of time but I was extremely impressed with how my feet, ankles and shins felt afterward. I had no pain at all and instead just dealt with my quads feeling totally burned out. I can't say I'm discouraged for marathon day but I'm not totally encouraged, either. These next couple of long runs will determine a lot, and I'm hoping I just had such a hard time because it was my first experience with a run that far.

Overall, training has truly been an amazing journey and I'm feeling very proud of what I accomplished on Sunday. I know for most out there who have done this a bunch of times, this post might seem silly but there is no better feeling in the world than when you complete your longest run, yet. I'll be running the Grete's Great Gallop half marathon this Saturday which I'll turn into a 20 miler so wish me luck!

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Sep 29, 2011 11:52 AM (in response to ValerieAlbanese)
    No Pain, No Gain!

I have run several and my (A) race is this Sunday and I am running another on 30 Oct, I feel the same way.  I am pretty sure it is normal, good luck!

• LauraKDecker Amateur 16 posts since
    Jul 28, 2011
    2. Oct 3, 2011 8:45 AM (in response to ValerieAlbanese)
    No Pain, No Gain!

sounds like your training is going REALLY well!  I'm living vicariously through your long runs, since I can't do mine : (

Any last bits of advice about ITBS since I know you suffered from it as well?  I'm definitely in a funk, and can't seem to make any improvements.

• Andrea in NB890s Amateur 10 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Oct 16, 2011 5:47 PM (in response to LauraKDecker)
    Re: No Pain, No Gain!

Hey, Laura! Hope your ITBS isn't bothering you too much. When I struggled with it, I found that yoga and swimming were the answer. I'd hit a yoga class first followed by some laps in the pool.

Also, have you tried new shoes or inserts? Perhaps that might make a difference. Good luck!

• Kristenrf Amateur 16 posts since
    Apr 9, 2008
    5. Oct 18, 2011 1:29 PM (in response to ValerieAlbanese)
    No Pain, No Gain!

The first time through marathon training is daunting! But I can tell you that even though I have done it a bunch of times, I still wake up the mornings of a 20+ miler or even the day of the race with all the worry in the world. No idea why but it still happens. But once I toe off, it all disappears. You have trained hard and stuck with you. You will line up that day and your body will know what to do, I promise you. You got this!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...