Skip navigation

6577 Views 40 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2011 3:28 PM by NELL_blue RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
NELL_blue Legend 303 posts since
May 21, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 29, 2011 4:49 PM

Do you have a favorite color of Umpire shirt?

Black?  http://www.ump-attire.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/mjs1-bk_back_z.jpg

http://www.ump-attire.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/MJS1-BLUE-z.jpgPowder Blue?

http://www.ump-attire.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/SB2-N-Z.jpgNavy Blue ?

Or other??  I have seen red, pink, cream and even white!!   What is everyones favorite?

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

• Mark_in_SD Legend 207 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Sep 29, 2011 10:41 PM (in response to NELL_blue)

Depends on my mood.  I'll probably do Powder or Black on Sunday.

• Manny_A Legend 841 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    2. Sep 30, 2011 3:03 AM (in response to NELL_blue)
    Re: Do you have a favorite color of Umpire shirt?

I've worn a number of colors except for white.  I'm really ambivalent when it comes to a favorite color, but if I had to pick one, it would be light blue.  I think the contrast looks sharp against the heather or dark grey pants.

What I don't care for are shirts that don't look good after a while.  When I was the UIC for our Seniors Baseball State tournament this summer, I allowed the plate umpire to wear whatever color he wanted, although I strongly encouraged the base umpires to wear the same color as their plate partner.  One umpire wore white, and he looked like hell after a couple of innings.  The shirt was wet with sweat, and picked up every puff of dirt that came by him.  It also clearly showed his chest protector and straps through.  No white shirts for me.

To a lesser degree, powder/light blue (I've been told there's a difference) and cream show dirt too easily, especially when a ball hits off my shirt while I'm doing the plate.  I like to look clean out there even during the late innings.  If the weather is such that I think my light blue shirt is going to get mucked up, I prefer to go with navy.

I also have a couple of the old shiny "dazzle" shirts.  Hate them!  They get wrinkled too easily, and you can see the chest protector logo right through them.

I do own a couple of pink shirts that I wear for girls softball games when there is a breast cancer awareness event going on.

• Mason_Dixon_Blue Legend 250 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    3. Sep 30, 2011 6:29 AM (in response to NELL_blue)

Black is definitely my favorite, with the polo blue (light blue with a black collar) coming in a close second.

• TheMouth__1 Legend 917 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    4. Sep 30, 2011 6:33 AM (in response to Mason_Dixon_Blue)

I go with the light blue.  I find the black, although looking sharp, is way too hot on the stiffling summer days.   TM

May 25, 2007
    5. Sep 30, 2011 9:28 AM (in response to Mason_Dixon_Blue)

Mason_Dixon_Blue wrote:

Black is definitely my favorite, with the polo blue (light blue with a black collar) coming in a close second.

MDB just hit a nerve with this.  I have a problem with all the variant uniform trims that come with certain colors, and it seems that the light blue shirt is the biggest culprit.

With the navy shirt, the vast majority of them have the standard red and white trim.  But when it comes to light blue, you find:

- navy and white

- red, white, and navy

- black and white with the black collar

- navy piping down the sides and halfway around the sleeves (the MLB version)

- thin navy and thick white trim (ASA shirts that come with and without the logo on the chest)

Inevitably, different organizations will want its umpires to use the different light blue shirts.  So if you happen to umpire for those organizations, you're buying multiple shirts of the same basic color.  I really don't get it.

• Mike_CVUA Legend 593 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    6. Sep 30, 2011 4:48 PM (in response to NELL_blue)

I don't like the creme color.  Makes me look like I am doing softball!

I like the Navy or powder blue.  Black (with my EMEA logo on it) is pretty neat, but in the heat of Summer, no thanks!

Anyone remember the EL Beco's?  Whew!

Mike CVUA

May 25, 2007
    7. Oct 1, 2011 6:18 AM (in response to Mike_CVUA)
    Re: Do you have a favorite color of Umpire shirt?

Mike_CVUA wrote:

I don't like the creme color.  Makes me look like I am doing softball!

I umpire a lot of softball, Mike.  I've never worn a cream shirt, not in rec ball, ASA, PONY, NFHS, NCAA, not even the National vs. Junior National exhibition I did at Bowie Baysox Stadium this summer. 

The only softball organization I've seen that doesn't wear light blue or navy is USSSA, which wears red with navy slacks.  No, I don't do U-trip softball, just for that reason.  I also don't do slow pitch, because I refuse to wear shorts on the field! 

• Michael_Taylor Community Moderator 318 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    9. Oct 1, 2011 3:52 PM (in response to NELL_blue)

Black is my default, Polo blue with the black trim then Cream. I like navy if I wear heather but I think it is absolutely awful with charcoal. I have never owned the Lt blue with red,white and blue, just tacky looking. I do have the Lt blue with the navy trim but rarely wear it. There is a huge difference between the Lt blue and polo blue.

Michael S. Taylor

• Michael_Taylor Community Moderator 318 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    11. Oct 2, 2011 10:26 PM (in response to NELL_blue)

I wear a navy hat with the navy shirt, black with everything else except the Lt blue with blue trim. I wear 8 seam on the plate and bases.

Michael S. Taylor

• Mason_Dixon_Blue Legend 250 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    12. Oct 3, 2011 6:21 AM (in response to Michael_Taylor)

I wear a combo hat for everything.  We have both black and navy hats.

We have a matrix to dictate what color hat, ball bags and undershirt to wear.

Navy for the "Navy Blue", "Light Blue", "Red" and "White" shirts.

Black for the "Black", "Polo Blue", "Cream", and "Gray" shirts.

Not everybody has all eight shirts, but you'd be surprised.

Most of the guys have most of the colors.

Navy is our default color, and must be carried with us at all times, so we don't get caught with two guys having two different color shirts.  If this happens, we simply default to the Navy shirt.

• callblue Amateur 19 posts since
    Oct 23, 2001
    13. Oct 3, 2011 6:54 AM (in response to NELL_blue)

Powder Blue with Black Collar and Creme, both with White underneath are popular for Tournament time because of the heat. They seem to be the coolest to wear.

I have White from a SRSB Regional. They gave us only 1 shirt and I had to scrub the dirt & sweat out every night. It was cool ,(every game start was well over 100 degrees) but not practical

May 25, 2007
    14. Oct 3, 2011 10:23 AM (in response to callblue)

callblue wrote:

Powder Blue with Black Collar and Creme, both with White underneath are popular for Tournament time because of the heat.

White underneath??  That's the softball standard.  I've never seen a white undershirt in baseball.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...